Thread: cold setting ti

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cold setting ti

I bought a ti frame 5-6 years ago and never felt the love for it. Always pulled to the left, amount of pull varied with fork selection but always pulled to the left. Took it down from the rafters and had a look at it the other day. The head tube is rotated clockwise enough, facing it, to put the tire contact patch on the right side of the rear wheel. About 1". That why it pulls to the left.

So, wtf do i do with the frame as it is now...if I can't ride it no handed for heavens sake.
    I can apply a load to the head tube but not sure about the material properties of ti. I would ebay it but thats how I got it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I would not cold set any frame it without first contacting the manufacturer. Try to give them a call and ask them their advice plus if you need something done it would be best if they do the work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its a late 90's Dean. I figure it was later cold set crooked by an accident or something. I am probably on my own on this one.

Moderator Moderator

Good luck!

Ti is very, very hard to cold set. Head tube twist is very, very hard to cold set even a little, and it sounds like you need a lot. So the bottom line is it's probably not fixable. If you apply enough force to cold set that much, you've got a good chance of buckling tubes.

So I'd either ride it as is, or sell it with full disclosure.

-Walt

mtbr member
    I have aligned Ty frames. It is nearly impossible to cold set. I have a method of welding or at least reheating the welds on the alignment table and resisting the expansion movement. Works pretty well and very controlled. The problem with TY is you don't know the condition of the inside of old frames. They must be VERY clean. I use a sonic cleaner. It can still be a crap shoot especially repairing or putting on guides or bosses on old frames.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

Members who have read this thread: 0