mtbr member

CO newbie builder needs oxygen and acetylene tanks. Advice or direction please!

Hello!
    Just spent some major cash going to Yamaguchi (well worth it I might add!) and have also been slowly picking up the basic tools (Files, Drill, vice, misc) I will be needing to start my first frame on my own in my garage. I am pumped and can't wait!
    Lots of cash output and trying to save here and there. (we all know how that goes!)

I bought a Victor Performer Torch outfit ((regulators are 540 and 510) but now need some bottles! I really don't want to lease....rather search for a good deal and spend a little more to "own." (Local guys in Colorado Springs quoted $220 + 12 fill for the 125 O2 tank...and then $130 + 25 fill for the 75 Ace tank.)

Does anyone in Colorado...(preferably Colorado Springs) have used tanks and are looking to upgrade, know of anyone looking to sell, or have any recommendations on where to find a good set of used tanks? (besides CL)

I know my brazing could use some practice...lots of it...so getting them sooner than later would help.

This is what I am looking for:
    110-150 ft3 for the O2
    75 ft3 for the Acetylene

Cheers!

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    my LWS just took my old bottles and charged me the difference when I upgraded. I'm guessing all of them will do that. My experience on Craigslist is that used bottles have huge asking prices since the people that have them didn't buy them -- grandpa did. So they don't know how much they are worth.

Who turned out the lights
    When you buy used tanks (especially on Craigslist), you run into 2 major risks:

1. They could be stolen, and your supplier won't fill them
    2. Many suppliers will only fill their own tanks.

It's not cheap, but deciding on a supplier and simply laying out the cash to buy the tanks from them is just about the best way to do it. It won't do you any good to buy tanks cheap if your closest gas supplier is a Kirk/Praxair shop, as they only fill their own.

Old school BMXer
    It really depends on the local situation. I'm in southern California, and when I bought my tanks off craigslist, both certifications were long expired. The local welding shop charged me about $25 for new certs plus the cost of O2 and acetylene and traded me a set of used tanks with fresh certs for mine.

When I get "refills" they simply swap out the tanks for used filled tanks, and I've done this with a couple different welding supply stores. Unfortunately, each time I swap tanks, the certification dates are usually not in my favor.

Like unterhausen mentioned, both shops I go to offer a trade-in program for larger tanks. This can be worth it as the larger tanks cost less to refill. However, I kind of like the manageability of the 75/80 cu/ft tanks.
    May the air be filled with tires!