mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Clear coat options on steel frame?

Hello. My custom steel frame is almost ready. Just a couple more welds and it'll be done. The frame builder now needs help with info about how to get the finish I want.

I want to have the frame JUST clear coated with the bluing of the welded joints to remain. Like this:

Reeb 1 photo reeb-2.jpg

Reeb 2 photo reeb-1.jpg

Rocker photo rockerss.png

Thanks for any input in advance,

Miggy

Framebuilder
    This topic pops up here at least once a month. Short version: go ahead and do it, but be ready to refinish the frame in a year so when the rust webs start spreading underneath.
    Check out Rody's ( Groovy Cycles) blog post that's usually linked in the other threads.

mtbr member
    I've done it on some stuff and expect exactly what Live Wire said! Rody has been doing some sweet stuff with ceramic coating but I have been turned off by clear coating. It looks bada$$ but it always seems to have under-paint rust. I've seen brand new, high end BMX frames, forks, bars and cranks come in with rust already forming under the clear.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member

Clear coat options on steel frame?

I just did my first clear coat and it looks awesome (for now). Shows all the imperfections though.
    Clear coat options on steel frame?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370065630.225456.jpg
    Here's one one the threads that discusses the issues. Start on pg 2.
    Powdercoating essentials help needed
    REEB claims to have something special done to their frames to prep before the clear is applied.
    I've seen a frame lightly sand blasted and then cleared and that may help the powder adhere but will remove the HAZ coloring. Rody's blog that covers this will make you think twice about going this route...

Eric the Red
    Talk to Roger at Shawnee Trail Performance bike coatings. He told me he's got the ceramic clearcoat process down and can prep the frame properly. I've never had him do it for me, but give him a shout if you want to know more.
    STB performance coatings~Home

mtbr member
    Spectrum can do that effect. I'm not sure with Ceramic whether you can do the fake HAZ look.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hopefully Roger will chime in, but in the recent past use of the air dry micro clear on polished parts have resulted in delamination long term. I've not played with it since the changes recommended by NIC, but would love to hear an update on success.

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

mtbr member

Micro-Clear Ceramic

Attachment 805180Attachment 805180Attachment 805186

I just coated this Walker frame with a similar effect using micro-clear. We'll have to wait for feedback on durability but I've had success applying the clear to cranks over the years. We used low gloss for this frame.

Roddy, Congrats on the weekly win on NIC site. I like what your doing with the Cerakote, nice work. We will talk sometime soon.Clear coat options on steel frame?-018.jpg
    Last edited by crazy8; 06-04-2013 at 08:13 AM.