will rant for food
    Jan 2010

Carbon full suspension rear end kits - any interest?

So I'm doing a friend a favor with some carbon chain stays and seat stays in the near future. He has some, ah, unconventional tastes. I believe his (private) request conforms to the laws of physics, it's just got a low profit margin such that large companies would not be sufficiently motivated to touch the niche.

What may arrive as fallout from the (again, future) effort is the ability for me to create rear suspension linkages of CFRP.

Huge caveat here is that you'd need symmetrical chain stays. So if you had a tight chainring-to-chainstay-yoke distance, I would have limited ability to snake all in there in a convoluted way. In such a tight quarters environment, you'd need to do something drastic like an E-stay.

This has of course been done to death in large volume production already.

The main liability concern I'd have is related to screwing around with some of the fancier designs. I don't wanna get sued, nor do I want to be an intellectual property thief if something is currently protected.

So I guess my question is: is there a tangible market here among you folks? I may be low volume but I'm largely ignorant on what kind of demand exists for good carbon rear end kits.

Here's my angle: I have a severely limited knowledge set on fitting an overall bike chassis to human bodies of varying size. And I think it would be cool to see a carbon ass bolted up to a steel front triangle -- I'd ride that. This hypothetical above would allow me to bridge a gap while allowing me to accumulate body-sizing knowledge slowly over time.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    I think this would open up options for small builders. If you chose to produce single pivot or horst link you could avoid the copyright crap.

mtbr member
    I would be interested in learning more. IMO, linkage driven single-pivot a.k.a. faux bar isn't fancy but allows for the most amount of customization (i.e. messing frame placements) without screwing up the suspension.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    IMO, linkage driven single-pivot a.k.a. faux bar isn't fancy but allows for the most amount of customization (i.e. messing frame placements) without screwing up the suspension.
    That's about where my head is at as well. The intent is based on how well I can convince a low tech filament winder to perform near-axial winding angles, while in its default state it very much prefers to do near-circumferential winding angles. The project the earlier dude wants requires a fiber placement schedule that is so fine that my human hands would not be able to do it.

Will post up some months from now if anything comes of it.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.