inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

car rack builder

who has built their own car rack? pictures? I was considering doing it for my next rack.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Long ago, I modified a cheap thrift store ski rack into a fork mount bike carrier. When passing a semi-truck head-on on a 2-lane road, the entire rack+ bike blew off the roof, damaged the bike and put a deep scratch on the car! Perhaps consider using actual yakima or thule clamps to attach to the car, just custom build the upper portion ....

mtbr member
    I drilled and placed fork mounts onto my Avalanche bedcover panel toward the cab. Then I mounted some angle iron to hold the rear wheel in place on the rear bed cover. No pictures but I have about $20 invested in a two bike carrier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    who has built their own car rack? pictures? I was considering doing it for my next rack.
    I have one designed that i haven't built yet. It goes on the front of the vehicle. That's all I want to say about it at the moment. I think it's a cool project that you're considering though.

mtbr member

Re: car rack builder

I'm actually working on one atm. I use standard trunk rack on our car but becuase of spoiler the angle is jacked up so can only put one bike on, so sons bike wont fit with mine.

My truck atm I have a 2x4 mounted on brackets across the rear of the bed with fork mounts. Can hold 3 bikes perfectly. But the whole front tire on and off everytime is insanely annoying especially when half the time i hit the rotor or something and have to adjust my front brakes sometimes.

So brought me to figure out a hitch rack but damned if I'm spending 2-300+ for one, screw that. Remembered I had one of those cargo rack things for my hitch in my parents garage cause i was letting my dad borrow it and had no use for it last couple years. It's the ones that just shallow open grate for strapping tubs or the big canvas cargo bags in. Perfect length and width for 2 bikes. Base was like it was made just right that my 29 sits perfect so tires are just touching sides at each end.

Build is going for central post with bars to support on top tubes then just old school style rods bent in a U to hold tires just for a bit extra peice of mind cause my bike is worth more than my truck lol.

The tire support design is work in progress cause i plan to buy a fatty next year and don't want to have to completely redo it when i wanna haul the fatty vs my 29er.

Though I've had the rack for years it was $75 when I bought it, beyond that estimate $50-75 in materials only because I'm using aluminum when possible so the rack isn't heavy as hell.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Good to know other people are interested. I have seen just a few custom racks. They can turn out either way, really. This may take a while.

I like the style North Shore Racks makes and I may actually purchase one of their racks until I make my own. Still, there are things I don't like about the NSR racks-I feel like there are a few options to have a similar design that would make me think it's more secure.

Currently I own a Thule 6 bike rack.
    Someone told me I should try modifying it first so that it can be more versatile in regards to how it holds mountain bikes.

It's better for road bikes, really.