Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Building your own Carbon Fiber Parts

    Hi All

    I am new to MTBR so please Redirect me if i am on the rong Forum for this.


    I would like to know how would you build a Carbon piece like the
    P-Knuckle on a rear derailleur. Like what carbon will be used and how would this part be molded or formed ?
    Building your own Carbon Fiber Parts-.jpg

    Please Help

    Thanx
    JACK

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    44

    Building your own Carbon Fiber Parts

    That is a really complec part to make out of cfrp. You will need multiple moulds and a vacuum system. Will be expensive for only making a few parts...


    Fra iPhone

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    44

    Building your own Carbon Fiber Parts

    Its hard to see if the fibres are continues on the pictures, can you see the fibres?


    Fra iPhone

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    Its hard to see if the fibres are continues on the pictures, can you see the fibres?


    Fra iPhone
    I cant see a definite patern of the threads but it seams to be more randomly spread.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Testmule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    126
    From my own cf experience, which although is extensive, is only amateur, and hobby-based - I would say that part has probably been engineered by someone with a formal engineering background.

    It isn't just fiber orientation. There are a large number of weaves, and quality levels (modulus) of cf, unidirectional being the strongest in one direction. The resin, which most people see when they look at cf construction is only the encapsulation mechanism that results in cf strength, and it is imperative that the optimum resin-cf ratio is achieved.

    You can probably make that part, but you will have to do your research, and testing, on top of constructing molds and equipment. Vacuum pumps, epoxy resins, and cf are the easy part.

    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building your own Carbon Fiber Parts-img_1380.jpg  


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmule View Post
    From my own cf experience, which although is extensive, is only amateur, and hobby-based - I would say that part has probably been engineered by someone with a formal engineering background.

    It isn't just fiber orientation. There are a large number of weaves, and quality levels (modulus) of cf, unidirectional being the strongest in one direction. The resin, which most people see when they look at cf construction is only the encapsulation mechanism that results in cf strength, and it is imperative that the optimum resin-cf ratio is achieved.

    You can probably make that part, but you will have to do your research, and testing, on top of constructing molds and equipment. Vacuum pumps, epoxy resins, and cf are the easy part.

    Paul
    Ok cool

    So what would your opinion be on this ?
    Building your own Carbon Fiber Parts-dsc070238gso.jpg

    Clearly you can see the Carbon threads (on the same part)

    How would you make that ?

    Thanx for Help

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Testmule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    126
    Not sure how I would approach such a small detailed part, but one method I haven't investigated is making a mold using Plaster-of-Paris and then vacuum bagging. And I'd be interested if anyone else has?

    Best place to start your learning is at Fibreglast. Lots of learning videos.
    Learning Center

    You can take what you learn there and use your own techniques.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmule View Post
    Not sure how I would approach such a small detailed part, but one method I haven't investigated is making a mold using Plaster-of-Paris and then vacuum bagging. And I'd be interested if anyone else has?

    Best place to start your learning is at Fibreglast. Lots of learning videos.
    Learning Center

    You can take what you learn there and use your own techniques.
    Thanx so much

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    44

    Building your own Carbon Fiber Parts

    The last part is probably made by using pre-preg ( pre inpregnated) weave, which is cut in shape and put onto a mould. The mould is then covered by a vacuum bag and put into an oven ( approx 180 deg maybe) . This part is fairly easy to make. Youtube vacuum infusion moulding. If the first part is relatively short fibres ( ish 2cm) in a random order, they could be pressed into a mould and apply pressurised epoxy. This is called resin transfer moulding, and makes an even less void content and higher fibre fraction than vac inf. The process is faster but the equipment is more expensive.

    If you want to start with composites, go for parts you can make by sheets of weave. Dont use random cloths. Practice with cheap materials like fibre glass and polyester. Check out DIY vacuum pumps or find a cheap one. Look at youtube. Tons of stuff about vac inf there. Many tricks and you will learn a lot by practice.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    The last part is probably made by using pre-preg ( pre inpregnated) weave, which is cut in shape and put onto a mould. The mould is then covered by a vacuum bag and put into an oven ( approx 180 deg maybe) . This part is fairly easy to make. Youtube vacuum infusion moulding. If the first part is relatively short fibres ( ish 2cm) in a random order, they could be pressed into a mould and apply pressurised epoxy. This is called resin transfer moulding, and makes an even less void content and higher fibre fraction than vac inf. The process is faster but the equipment is more expensive.

    If you want to start with composites, go for parts you can make by sheets of weave. Dont use random cloths. Practice with cheap materials like fibre glass and polyester. Check out DIY vacuum pumps or find a cheap one. Look at youtube. Tons of stuff about vac inf there. Many tricks and you will learn a lot by practice.
    Thanx for the help

Similar Threads

  1. building my first carbon fiber wheel set
    By kingair in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 01:55 PM
  2. Carbon fiber or not
    By crit5 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
  3. carbon fiber fork..aluminum vs carbon steering column
    By shackleton47 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
  4. carbon fiber...why?
    By BORDERCOLLIE in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
  5. Carbon Fiber Hub. Do you recognize this?
    By chikai in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2011, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •