mtbr member
    Nov 2008

building a trials frame?

i am sort of inbetween projects right now, waiting on materials. got it in my head i would like to build myself a trials frame to mess around with in the yard this winter.
    anyone have input on sizing/fit? how does one figure this out?
    thanks.
    never had a trials bike so its totally new concept in my world.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    your questions are vague. sounds like you need to:
    A find a trials bike to test ride
    B look up some geometry of existing frames

if I were you I would look for an older used monty mod to screw around on in the yard before you go to the time of building a frame then building it up. having a mod bike as a yard toy is actually a lot of fun. then if you decide you like trials you can go ahead and build one, and you will know by then more what you want. I used to ride trials heavily in the late 90s/early 2000's and always enjoyed mod bikes better. more light, quick, snappy, and maneuverable than a stock bike. FWIW a cheap old 14" aluminum hardtail frame makes a great stock bike. stock trials bikes can be made from junk pretty much. when it comes to stock bikes there is no need for a beginner to have a purpose built bike. a stock bike needs a wide back rim, at least a 2.3 back tire, strong/grabby brakes, light weight, high and wide bar position, bash ring for a single 22t, large grippy pedals, and very low seat. I think you could build an OK stock bike out of existing older parts for what the materials of a scratchbuilt frame would cost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    perfect info. thanks. still curious on the sizing procedure ( if any) on a trials frame. just wondering
    thanks again. you are right, i have absolutly no starting point at all... just thinking out loud

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    you want a shorter cockpit than an XC bike by about an inch or 2 I would say based on what I used to run. a lot of it is personal preference not really akin to a road or XC bike which are pretty particular on sizing. trials bikes will all be low, sizing is all in the reach. I ran a standard geometry 14" hardtail frame which would probably be about a 21" TT with probably a 120x20* stem and DH bars and I'm 5'8. If you are going stock bike just get the frame you want to run in the 13-15" range then get a stem to suit. if you get a mod bike they are circus bikes anyway and have like 150x20* stems. 20" front wheel with a much longer fork than necessary to get the front end up high.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    shoot me a PM, glad to help

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Opinions are going to be all over the place on this one. The "shorter than your XC bike" was the very old school way. When that was still the way, I realized that I liked the X,Y dimension from BB to bar center to be nearly identical to my XC bike but I liked a higher BB (zero drop) and stays as short as I could get them. That was for a stock bike BTW.

The trend for stock bikes as they are now are for super high BBs and super long front centers. What you choose should depend on your riding style. If you realistically think you can learn the ups-to-front wheel, taps and wheel hooks, consider building something similar to current spec trials bikes. Your bars will likely be lower than on your XC bike and it'll probably stretch you out an inch or two.

If you're new to trials, consider building something that you'll feel familiar with but with stays as short as you can get them.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com