mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Building a new rear end

Hi guys, I'm thinking of building a new rear end for a 2008 Giant reign 0. I was given a front triangle that is near new but am having problems sourcing a new rear end. I contacted Giant and they say that the 08 reign rear end for that year is no longer made, so I figured I'd like to try and make one. Does anyone have any drawings or numbers on this? The only thing I can find is just a few numbers from the geometry table on the giant website. Thanks.

Sean

mtbr member
    put the axle and pivots in the right place. How you get there isn't all that important, as long as you're not running into anything.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Start with a strait side-view picture with minimal distortion (works best if picture was taken from further away w/ zoom lens, instead of up close with wide angle lens), then you can open in a graphics program such as GIMP or photoshop, establish a pixel/mm scale from a known deminsion such as OD of the rim. Level the picture so that both tires are at 0 horizontal and then you can easily get fairly accurate length and angle measurements.

This picture should work for measurements;
    Giant Bicycles Archive

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the tips guys. Now I need to see if I can find some of the Maestro swing arms or if that is something I need to make as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If your aim is to save money, it will be cheaper to just buy another frame. I have seen reign frames go for less than $200 incl. shock, much less than that without shock. There were many made, they are everywhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    If your aim is to save money, it will be cheaper to just buy another frame. I have seen reign frames go for less than $200 incl. shock, much less than that without shock. There were many made, they are everywhere.
    Thanks for the reply. Saving some scratch would always be good, but I also thought that this could be a fun little project to play with. I have a little bit of left over material that I thought I could put to the cause.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    You are not going to make a functional full suspension rear end out of leftover bits of scrap - if you want a fun project and enjoy trying to build things, by all means build yourself a new rear end (even if you fail to make something rideable, you'll learn a ton).

Once you go down the DIY bicycle frame rabbit hole you'll spend 10x what you expected, so if what you really want is a working bicycle so you can go ride, just buy a new frame.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm already down that rabbit hole Walt. The left over pieces I have are some chain stays, drop outs, and strait gauge 4130 from another bike project I changed directions on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If that's the case, then go for it. Simplest route will be to get the factory linkages, fit a shock (or make up a spacer) of the right eye-to-eye dimensions and then measure the top to bottom pivot mount distance from another similar Reign frame. This will give you all the information you need. Along with the wheelsize you want to run (ie. you could go 650b if you wanted to) and the bottom bracket height you want to run, you can then spec out the rear triangle. Sounds like a great project, keep us posted on progress.