mtbr member

Building a frame

Attending the Yamaguchi frame building school here in CO soon and looking forward to building my own frame from scratch. I really want to build a cross frame and am looking for input from experienced riders on geometry, brackets, setup and general info that might help me going into deciding what kind of bike to build. Anyone up to chat on this is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You can find a ton of info on cross geometry by checking the geometry specs of production bikes from the big companies like this... Trek Bicycle

Most Delicious
    Cross for racing? Mixed terrain adventuring? It's become a wide category and it's hard to help without specific questions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Kona Jake and Rove are good potential patterns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    Cross for racing? Mixed terrain adventuring? It's become a wide category and it's hard to help without specific questions.
    Mixed terrain mainly. I'm a huge fan of the movement towards the "be all bike" that has been going on lately where cross geometry is meeting 29er sizing for speed and power off and on road. My main goal also with this is to legitimately start cross racing and as such I will want it to have race potential.

A friend of mine has a Kona Jake and I love it. The geometry, the ride, the speed, though speed is something I don't entirely feel the Jake is built for.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Might want to check the geometry on the Van Dessel WTF: Van Dessel – Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Might want to check the geometry on the Van Dessel WTF: Van Dessel – Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    That is a crazy top tube angle, I like it. Definitely has an organic feel to it with the way it swoops as opposed to being rigid. Also made to fit several tire sizes, I think you really hit what I was thinking on the head.
    You know, Steve The Pirate?
    Who's Steve The Pirate?
    The only guy on our team who dresses like a pirate!

Most Delicious
    In that vein you'd also like the Singular Peregrine. Searching for "monstercross" should bring up some other ideas.

You'll see a couple of differences between these types of frames and more traditional cross racing frames:

Chainstays will almost always be longer, mostly to accomodate larger tires. Since this is your first frame you probably want to make things easier on yourself by aiming at the longer side. A race bike that only needs to clear 32s with some mud clearance would be around 420mm. Bigger tired bikes would be more like 440-460mm.

For a race bike I'd use a shorter top tube to give you a good attack position on the hoods. On a bike for exploring I'd like to stretch out a bit on the hoods. There's enough variation in stems and handlebars that you can accomplish both on one bike, but it's something to think about.

In the old days of toe clips cross bikes had very high bottom brackets. In the clipless era they've come down some, but again generally speaking race bikes have higher bottom brackets so you can stay on the gas in the corners and in chunky sections of the course. Your local courses needs may vary. If you plan to ride lots of singletrack you might want to go higher, lots of road and gravel then lower. You should consider the tires when you look at bottom bracket drop and how it relates to bottom bracket height. A fat tire will move your bottom bracket up and give you more pedal clearance when you need it, while switching to a road tire will move it back down.

mtbr member
    I have definitely been studying up on BB height and the different opinions on which is better, considering most people ride their own style and this opinion varies. I suppose the best way for me to find out what would work for me is to test some of each design and see what feel I like.

I could also do this for the chainstay length you mentioned as well. I can definitely see where this will make significant changes in how the bike rides. I have a SS road bike with a 32/16 combo and that is quick as a whip compared to my 29er which not only has the bigger tires, but longer chainstay by far.

Brings up my next question there, anyone familiar with hybrid dropouts and are these preferable to a straight forward vertical or horizontal depending on preference? I very much like SS, but that's not to say I don't have those days and rides where the only thing I could ask for is 24-27 speeds, which is where the 29er is a relief.
    Who's Steve The Pirate?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    In that vein you'd also like the Singular Peregrine. Searching for "monstercross" should bring up some other ideas.
    Nice looking frame. Keeps the traditional steel frame while allowing flexibility in sizing.
    Who's Steve The Pirate?