mtbr member

No good Build Thread: Another FS Frame

Hey MTBR,

So I am posting this in hopes that it will encourage me to have this frame done by the end of the summer. Also I figure this is kinda different and some people might enjoy coming along for the ride.

Anyhow, I built a single pivot frame out of steel almost 2 years ago and it was pretty sketchy. It was fun and I put wayyy more miles on it than I expected it to last, but last it did not. Also, it rode like a single pivot.

So time for a new FS. Here's what I want:
    -Slack, playful, aggressive... fun and stuff
    -145mm rear travel, 150 front
    -Aluminum frame
    -Fancy linkage (I went with VPP)
    -six hundred and fifty b's of wheel

Uhm yep, that's about it.

So to start I used "Linkage" and got the dimensions I wanted:
    Build Thread: Another FS Frame-untitled.jpg

And Bike CAD'd up the front geo
    Build Thread: Another FS Frame-my-fs.jpg

And the hard part... working on the actual thing...
    Build Thread: Another FS Frame-front.jpg
    I think I am going to switch to a bent DT for crown clearance...

So the plan is to Get the whole thing modeled up, machine the pivots and everything (I conveniently work in a CNC shop) and then Weld! And then wait 6 months for the Al to normalize....

But yeah. Should be a fun project. I actually have most of the materials on hand and if the skiing keeps being as bad as it is in Bozeman I might be getting it done sooner than I thought!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Thread: Another FS Frame-my-fs.jpg  

-Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice. Looking forward to watching this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You can buy linkages from the santa cruz website you know. It can make things easier.
    Last edited by Golem builder; 02-10-2015 at 06:42 AM.
    Guillaume

Cycles Golem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem builder View Post
    You can buy linkages from the santa cruz website you know. It can make things easier.
    Tempting!
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adarn View Post
    And the hard part... working on the actual thing...
    Haha, true.

Nice to know you work in a CNC shop. I have my own CNC now, but it has some limitations for sure.

Subscribed!
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If I build a DS someday I'll take that route. Proven system and honestly easier to build than a 4 bar.
    Guillaume

Cycles Golem

mtbr member

yeahhhh...

Sooooo I decide to be all gung ho about making everything from scratch and what should fall into my lap but this....
    Build Thread: Another FS Frame-sc-rear.jpg

Because this will cut the project time by about 85% I guess I'm going to make a 4" travel 29er. Oh well. Should be fun and hold me over until I get excited enough actually make one from sctatch

I think I'm going to do a steel front triangle... SklarbonFiber style.
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Sell out! No seriously, it should be good practice to start with a manufactured rear end the first time around. You can still do a lot with 4" coupled with a 5" fork and a slack/long front end.

Anyhow, I built a single pivot frame out of steel almost 2 years ago and it was pretty sketchy. It was fun and I put wayyy more miles on it than I expected it to last, but last it did not. Also, it rode like a single pivot.
    I vaguely remember that single pivot you made. Do you recall what kind of leverage/anti-squat curve you used? Was the shock tune correct? They get bashed on alot, but if designed right they can work really well. In fact the next bike I build for myself is going to be a 5"ish single pivot. I would prefer a dual link, but that's not something I even remotely want to tackle right now.

mtbr member
    Haha, I am!
    Yeah, 4" is pretty good and I will be able to just take all of the parts off of my current bike which is a 29" hardtail with a 120 fork. Maybe I'll upgrade to a 130 fork in the future, I'll probably design it around that.

Honestly I'm not doing this just for the fun of building it - I'm doing it because I want a FS bike. A lot of guys build with ventana rear ends and are happy to call those bikes their own. This is wayyyy better and a lot cooler IMO.

Should be fun!
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Honestly I'm not doing this just for the fun of building it - I'm doing it because I want a FS bike. A lot of guys build with ventana rear ends and are happy to call those bikes their own. This is wayyyy better and a lot cooler IMO.

Should be fun!
    I'm with you there. I want fs to ride that I designed/built. If I'm happy with it, goodbye to production frames all together for me. I like rigid hardtails, but hardtails with a squishy fork, no thanks. I've got to have at least a 5" fs bike around to ride. I'd rather build a monopivot than a linkage driven single (Vetanna, faux bar, whatever you want to call it), mostly because it's all my design, and secondly because there isn't much advantage to the faux bar over a mono.

I'm really digging all this fs talk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I'm with you there. I want fs to ride that I designed/built. If I'm happy with it, goodbye to production frames all together for me. I like rigid hardtails, but hardtails with a squishy fork, no thanks. I've got to have at least a 5" fs bike around to ride. I'd rather build a monopivot than a linkage driven single (Vetanna, faux bar, whatever you want to call it), mostly because it's all my design, and secondly because there isn't much advantage to the faux bar over a mono.

I'm really digging all this fs talk.
    Do it.

I am working on the drawings for my #2 FS.

The leverage ratio on mine feels really good on trails. My shock is slightly under damped but it doesn't feel wallowy or bottom out easy.

Tricky part on my next design is to still use my 44mm headset for main pivot and move from an elevated chainstay to drop chainstay below the chain. With the 44mm you need to be able to remove the rear swingarm completely to unseat the split compression rings. The not a tone of room for the pinch clamps and other tubes to all join at the axle and still look clean.

mtbr member
    Oh, I am. Already started on the design. It will be awhile before I begin fab though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I'm with you there. I want fs to ride that I designed/built. If I'm happy with it, goodbye to production frames all together for me. I like rigid hardtails, but hardtails with a squishy fork, no thanks.
    Yeah, I'm kind of the same way. Working my way towards the dream stable... Should have a rigid 29+ SS, this guy and then I think I'll build a long travel 27.5 hardtail just to see what the hype is about. Rigid bikes are a lot of fun, but not the kind of fun that a FS is.

Oh and I forgot to answer your question. That single pivot was mostly a straight ripoff of the Heckler... I think I have the curves somewhere....
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Sooooo I decide to be all gung ho about making everything from scratch and what should fall into my lap but this....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc rear.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	965101
    Looks like the good starting form to model a jig from .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone know where I might be able to find a seatstay for a 1998 Specialized Ground Control FSR Comp?

mtbr member
    Just subscribed to this thread. As an engineering student I find this very interesting. Keep us updated!
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Not the update you were hoping for... I got distracted and built myself another bike first... Whoops.

29+ by SklarBikes, on Flickr

But I DID manage to get the shock ordered, I have all the parts ready (on my current bike), and I've figured out how I'm going to mount the pivot and shock.

I'm still in school, and spring break is over on Monday, so I bet I won't get this done until summer. I'll probably get some pivoty stuff machined before then. So that's next... Until then...
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school and what are you majoring in? (that is unless you're a graduate student)
    Keep the rubber side down

Nemophilist
    Nice looking +;

Why the thumbs down title rating, by the way?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Nice looking +;

Why the thumbs down title rating, by the way?
    Hey Thanks. I'm not sure why that is there. It just showed up when I posted this. Figured MTBR has something against me...
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkissam View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school and what are you majoring in? (that is unless you're a graduate student)
    I go to Montana State for MET... one.. more.. semester......
    -Adam Sklar
    My blog
    Instagram