Thread: Build sequence

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Build sequence

Almost done with my first frame. A fillet brazed MTB. I built it the way frame building is described in the Paterek Manual, joining two tubes at the time then checking for alignment and moving on joining two other tubes/tube ends, alignment check and so on…

Have I understand it correctly, that one could tack all the tubes in the front triangle, check for alignment and then brace all the joints one after another. Sounds like less work. Maybe I have misunderstood it.

Which method do you prefer and which build sequence would you recommend to a newbie fillet brazer ?

Next up is a standard diamond frame 29:er. Which way is the easiest way to braze it ?

Thanks !

pvd
    mtbr member
    I would toss that Paterek book in the trash.

Tack as much as you can together, then fully join. You can check alignment as much as you like through the process. By joining everything together first, all the tubes help hold each other in place.

mtbr member
    If I knew where PVD lived, I'd be looking through his trash. I think the Paterek manual is a great resource. It's not the only way to do things but it certainly is one way and it's filled with tons of quirky little tid-bits of info., specific to the builder. The more arrows you have in your quiver, the more versatile you'll be.

That said, I don't necessarily follow Paterek's order of assembly. In fact, the order I use tends to depend on the specific bike I'm building and my assembly order will change as necessary. Sometimes you have to lay a bronze joint before moving onto a nearby silver joint, as an example. Look over your design and figure out the most logical way to go about it, applying your best judgement based on what you know about your materials, join methods, etc. As stated, you can check alignment throughout the process and adjust as needed, so try not to lose too much sleep over it.

Good luck and have fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0