mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Brompton style brazing

What’s the brazing technique used to achieve “weld beds”, like they look on brazed frames from Bromton or Curtis (in UK)? How do they do it?

Is it as difficult as producing perfect fillets (like Dave Bohmand & Steve Garro)

If I would like to spend less time sanding in the future, what would be easier: Trying to perfect my fillets (would still require some sanding) or trying to learn to braze like they do at Brompton (would look like welds)?

Any difference in strength?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    the Brompton style apparently takes quite a bit of practice given the variation I've seen on Bromptons. I am pretty sure it would be hard for me to do it consistently. I can get pretty close to not needing filing with my fillets. While I have been brazing for decades, I haven't done all that much fillet brazing. As long as you get good penetration either style is equally strong.

Name:  4553580492_eae8f3dce6.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  97.3 KB

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter E View Post
    What’s the brazing technique used to achieve “weld beds”, like they look on brazed frames from Bromton or Curtis (in UK)? How do they do it?

Is it as difficult as producing perfect fillets (like Dave Bohmand & Steve Garro)

If I would like to spend less time sanding in the future, what would be easier: Trying to perfect my fillets (would still require some sanding) or trying to learn to braze like they do at Brompton (would look like welds)?

Any difference in strength?
    I would say the "stack of dimes" fillets is a step on the way to what Steve, Dave, and Eric (Winter Cycles) do. Likely just that Brompton use a larger diameter filler rod and do not wet out the edges as much.

The main reason to file any good brazed join is esthetic.

Better joins (more even, good flow...) is always easier. They take less time to do and need less time to clean up.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Scalloped Fillet Brazes - ie Brompton or Brian Curtis

I also really like that style. Something to work towards.