mtbr member
    Sep 2006

bizarre custom frame build question

Anyone know of any framebuilders who will make a custom frame to fit a Kona Coilair 2011 rear end and suspension? Am 7 ft but still wanna be able to experience the new magic link thing...especially with 8 inches of travel!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    frank the welder (me) I can build a light custom aluminum frame for any size person. frankthewelder at comcast dot net

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Frank, your the man....so no disrespect at all.

Let me relay a story. 7' customer buys bike from me. Loves bike. Bike is huge, burley. Customer is huge and burley. They work well together.

Customer buys "custom" Cannondale for getting around cause doesn't want to park high end bike outside where it can get ripped.

C-dale breaks 4 days later. HT shears off. Breaks both arms in multiple places. You know, the bigger they are the harder they fall.

Light and 7' tall should never be used in the same paragraph...

Moderator Moderator

+1

Agreed with Dave on this one. Also, to the OP - forget the hype about the magic link stuff. That's a ton of pivots and little linkage bolts and hardware. You will break them all and spend all your time having the bike fixed.

At 7', you probably need something with a burly single pivot (and a coil shock) designed from the ground up for someone your size. Freeride rear ends might be strong enough, but the chainstays will be so short that you'll have all kinds of problems with the ride both up and downhill. You probably need 475-500mm chainstays, honestly.

Avoid aluminum and "light" stuff like the plague. Just my opinion, of course.

Edit: I forgot, you want 29" wheels. There's really no question about that at your size.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by dbohemian
    Frank, your the man....so no disrespect at all.

Let me relay a story. 7' customer buys bike from me. Loves bike. Bike is huge, burley. Customer is huge and burley. They work well together.

Customer buys "custom" Cannondale for getting around cause doesn't want to park high end bike outside where it can get ripped.

C-dale breaks 4 days later. HT shears off. Breaks both arms in multiple places. You know, the bigger they are the harder they fall.

Light and 7' tall should never be used in the same paragraph...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the input. I am already running a Ventana El Cap 29er 5 inch front and rear, and a Cannondale Moto XL 6.3 inch travel for commuting and quick ST runs (also don't want the El Cap ripped off), but I wanted to find something with more like 7-8 inches of travel which can still be pedaled uphill...

Moderator Moderator

Ventanas rock

Sounds like you've got some pretty good bikes set up already. At 7-8" travel, you're really getting into DH bike territory. A custom single pivot setup could work for you, in theory, with decent shock valving/lockout for climbs, but really huge travel bikes don't tend to do well for XC.

What are you riding for XC that you want >5" travel for? I mean, it's one thing if you want to lock everything out and grunt uphill for 2 hours, then strap up and hit the skinnies and drops back down. If you're riding more traditional XC, more than 5-6" travel seldom makes much sense. What kind of rides are you going on where the Ventana isn't enough bike?

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84
    Thanks for the input. I am already running a Ventana El Cap 29er 5 inch front and rear, and a Cannondale Moto XL 6.3 inch travel for commuting and quick ST runs (also don't want the El Cap ripped off), but I wanted to find something with more like 7-8 inches of travel which can still be pedaled uphill...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't get me wrong...the Ventana is an awesome bike (somewhat held back by lack of stiff 36 mm stanchion 29er forks at this time), but getting the Cannondale with 6.3 inches makes a noticeable difference hitting small drops and techy rock garden stuff. I'm about 255 lbs without gear (probly more like 275 with all the extra gear I have to take, given my history of breaking stuff...three main triangles and two rear triangles so far, along with countless components), so the extra travel makes more techy xc/all mountain stuff more fun.

I am more of an AM type rider, but like to earn my altitude. An example is one of my relatively close trails which is 4.5 miles one way but about 2000 ft climb, lotsa fun rock gardens and small drops.

Definitely the Ventana is much more preferable for trails like Santa Ana River Trail (mostly up and down, flowy stuff).

Moderator Moderator

You've fallen victim....

...to one of the classic blunders (never start a land war in Asia, never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line): never believe that suspension travel is what determines what makes a bike work well (or poorly) on any given terrain.

The Ventana is an XC bike. 5" of travel or 3", it's not designed for drops or techy stuff like a DH or Freeride bike is. The Moto X has a 67.5 degree head tube angle - that ALONE makes the bike nothing at all like the Ventana. Throw in a parts kit that's aimed at freeride, different bottom bracket heights and cockpit setups, etc, and you have 2 completely different bikes - but the amount of suspension travel (120 vs 160mm, I think?) is near the bottom of the list in terms of what's making that difference.

Look at having someone make you a custom 5 or 6" travel frame with appropriate angles, fit, and parts, and you'll be happy as a clam. Or just buy a full DH bike and put a Hammerschmidt and lockout-capable suspension on it, accepting that it'll be too small.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84
    Don't get me wrong...the Ventana is an awesome bike (somewhat held back by lack of stiff 36 mm stanchion 29er forks at this time), but getting the Cannondale with 6.3 inches makes a noticeable difference hitting small drops and techy rock garden stuff. I'm about 255 lbs without gear (probly more like 275 with all the extra gear I have to take, given my history of breaking stuff...three main triangles and two rear triangles so far, along with countless components), so the extra travel makes more techy xc/all mountain stuff more fun.

I am more of an AM type rider, but like to earn my altitude. An example is one of my relatively close trails which is 4.5 miles one way but about 2000 ft climb, lotsa fun rock gardens and small drops.

Definitely the Ventana is much more preferable for trails like Santa Ana River Trail (mostly up and down, flowy stuff).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Lol! Love the blunder examples! Thanks for advice...definitely gonna go custom route probly within the next year!

Members who have read this thread: 0