Thread: BikeCAD Project

mtbr member

BikeCAD Project

Im a senior computer science major getting ready to get started on my senior project. Im planning on writing some free opens source software that is basically BikeCAD.

Does anyone know how to mathematically compute the lines for miter templates? or even know how this is done? If you guys dont know I might have to try and ask the owners of tubemiter.exe or even see if the bikecad guys would be willing to give me some insight.

Oh and heres a frame I finished last year, dont think iv'e shown it off yet.
    Attachment 863197

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    here is a paper on how to do the math:
    LINK (pdf warning)

Here is a link to source

You might want to look at rattlecad on sourceforge

mtbr member
    Hi! As a computer science guy I know the great challenge you are facing.

It would be amazing to have available a complete stand-alone program for both frame geometry and pattern developement design (bicycle specific). Something easy to cath up and very straightforward for people like me that donīt get on well with CAD solutions. Just for printing templates in five minutes.

I've already quit from computing and now doing sheet metal working. I'm telling you this because all I see in the "real world" around is Solidworks and AutoCAD for unfolding tube miters when the tubes are complex (bent shapes and tapered intersections for example). Check out this video to see what people do when things get complicated and programs like Plate 'n Sheet donīt help much, which is the one I currently use for printing amateur bicycle tube templates and pro sheet-pipe-pipe metal components at work.

As I mentioned before for most common miter patterns (pipe to pipe and multiple pipes) on a bicycle you can use what I do on a daily basis, which is Logitrace or Plate 'n Sheet. It takes three minutes with this program. Your application must be as fast as this ones are.

Name:  12051150776_534fce81eb.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  72.9 KBName:  12051151466_ae4140b37f.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  135.7 KB

Navigating thru all the options (gif image below) you realize that on a classic diamond design frame bicycle you only need to calculate the mathematical functions for branches: pipe to pipe and multiple pipes cover 90% of the cases. So focus on modeling branches. It is well documented on calculus treatises.

Think also that an advance framebuilder wonīt need to print these templates because he would cut the tubes already with the right angle and dimensions given by the notcher size and position, and thus refusing to use your app. In order to attract more users for your open source program I would suggest to keep modeling complex branches and gussets. These are the shapes:

-Pipe to cone (tapered headtubes)
    -Pipe to bend (concentric) (typical on small frames such as kids bikes)
    -Cone to pipe & cone to cone (for example hidroformed oval downtubes on modern bicycles like 29ers).

Name:  12050290475_133b87e2e8.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  82.7 KBName:  12051153046_93e3e9f3a9.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  80.1 KBName:  12050292175_11e07b9d24.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  81.1 KBName:  12050586843_e178aeaabd.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  79.5 KB

It happens that any framebuilder will have to do some DIY on paper if the intersecting tube is a tapered headtube, for example, or connecting bent tubes. Companies do this with CAD design despite it is possible with Plate 'n Sheet. But builders hitting the workshops will prefer to it faster with and stand alone app.

I know I'm not helping too much (nor my English) but just trying to bring up some ideas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Why not ask the guy who runs BikeCAD if you can work directly for him as BikeCad has a whole lot of things that could do with improvements