Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A God Without A Name

Best custom painters?

Also, affordable ones?

I'm looking to get a cross check in a little bit, and I'd love to get it painted like Blue Lug does for their bikes.

I just can't seem to find a reputable bike painter in North America. the results Google provide mostly make me nervous.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Best custom painters?

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Also, affordable ones?

I'm looking to get a cross check in a little bit, and I'd love to get it painted like Blue Lug does for their bikes.

I just can't seem to find a reputable bike painter in North America. the results Google provide mostly make me nervous.
    Eric at Colorworks in Eugene is very good.
    http://www.colorworksbikepainting.com

He painted most of the English Cycles bikes that were at the Handmade show among others.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

A God Without A Name
    these sites frustrate me, they all smack of that horrid attitude on the Rivendell site. the "Maybe if you're a good boy I MIGHT let you give me a ton of money"

list prices and services available. It's custom work, so make it clear those prices are rough estimates. We do it in the automotive industry, its not too hard to do it for bikes.

I see seepage in his masking. but all in all he is okay. I really wish I had the space to just paint the thing myself.

Sorry if that is hostile. but... ugh. I get so tired of how commerce works in bikeworld

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Best custom painters?

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    these sites frustrate me, they all smack of that horrid attitude on the Rivendell site. the "Maybe if you're a good boy I MIGHT let you give me a ton of money"

list prices and services available. It's custom work, so make it clear those prices are rough estimates. We do it in the automotive industry, its not too hard to do it for bikes.

I see seepage in his masking. but all in all he is okay. I really wish I had the space to just paint the thing myself.

Sorry if that is hostile. but... ugh. I get so tired of how commerce works in bikeworld
    Sounds like you are the only one that can satisfy you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

A God Without A Name
    yeah. My girlfriend finds it frustrating.

...Ba-Dum-Tish.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Paint it yourself. That way you get it as you want it.

I bought an airbrush and spray gun, I'll do it myself. The paintjob will get very expensive though, I'm guesstimating like 800-1k in paint alone. Having it done the way I had envisioned by someone else?? I don't even wanna know whats that would cost.. Definitely can't afford it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Joe Bell on the west coast is about as good as it gets (think Richard Sachs, Kirk bikes etc), and Spectrum Powder Works in CO do amazing work as well. COAT in Portland, who does many Vanilla bikes also does beautiful work.

A God Without A Name
    I am just looking for bright freaking red powdercoat on a new bike. I wish I could afford a powdercoat set up. and that I had space for painting supplies.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Purely as an addendum to this topic, the average person has no idea of the cost of materials. It is getting astronomical. I just bought a pint of a dark blue poly (dark colors are usually the cheaper ones). $68... for a PINT! That's only the base color. Add the primer, catalyst, reducer, clear, catalyst... It'$ really in$ane to paint $omething the$e day$, and that is only ONE COLOR! Fortunately I am passing the cost along on this one. People used to flip when I quoted them $400 minimum to paint a helmet. "Go out and price the materials yourself" opened their eyes wide.

You don't even want to know what a pint of red costs!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

A God Without A Name
    I do know! its horrible, which is kind of why I want someone who can buy in bulk and knows how to not waste the stuff because he's really familiar with his spray gun to do it!

If I do it myself, buying just enough to paint MINE and also all the little things people don't realize you need to paint something, It's gonna cost even more... and again, I have no place to paint it.

that being said, I do wonder about how much powdercoat costs as a medium.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    top coat colors are rarely used on more than one bike since no two people want the same colors.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    If what you want is a one-color powdercoat, there are a zillion places that can do it, probably including places that are local to you. Ask on your regional forum, maybe?

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

A God Without A Name
    you're in my region until I move! WHO DO YOU RECOMMEND IN UTAH?!?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Walt has mentioned the powder coater he uses on his blog. Shouldn't be hard to find

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I RECOMMEND POWDERWORKS OF UTAH IN WEST VALLEY CITY!!!!!!!!

Tell 'em Walt sent you.

-W
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

Purely as an addendum to this topic, the average person has no idea of the cost of materials. It is getting astronomical. I just bought a pint of a dark blue poly (dark colors are usually the cheaper ones). $68... for a PINT! That's only the base color. Add the primer, catalyst, reducer, clear, catalyst... It'$ really in$ane to paint $omething the$e day$, and that is only ONE COLOR! Fortunately I am passing the cost along on this one. People used to flip when I quoted them $400 minimum to paint a helmet. "Go out and price the materials yourself" opened their eyes wide.

You don't even want to know what a pint of red costs!
    I worked as an estimator in a body shop 10+ years ago and the material costs were pretty nuts then, can't imagine what they're like now.

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    i recommend powderworks of utah in west valley city!!!!!!!!

tell 'em walt sent you.

-w
    okay! Awesome-cool-great!

~ B A D A S S ~
    Paint is ultra expensive.

for my paintjob which was to be 3 colors, it would work something like this: epoxy primer (thinner/hardener/paint), 2 different colors on tiop of that, white and black, (and those are paint/thinner/hardener too) and on top of that the 3 actual "colors" were to be applied. And that would have been like silver as a base coat, then some metallic flake stuff in like 3-5 layers, and a candy one top of that in 5-6 layers, with intermediate clear coats, a special clear only used for that. and then 2 other super special "colors" with similar buildup. So at any given part of the frame it would be like 10-15 different layers of paint in one way or another, 3 different ones...

I have the patience (the skill, i dont know, probably not) for that but Its very tempting to just send it away and tell em paint it black... and be done with it. Or rattlecans!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

A God Without A Name
    I know how to paint. I have the experience and skill. what I don't have is the space and the resources. nor do I want to learn the quirks of a new gun right now.

Who turned out the lights
    A friend used Class Act Paint (Class Act Powder Coating Inc. :: Finest Quality Coating Services) for a bike I bought used from him. Single color powder with no masked panels was like $150. It looks pretty good, and it's holding up pretty well. They are the only painter that Specialized will let you use and keep your warranty intact, so they can't be that bad.

If all you want is single color with no fancy masking, that should open your doors to more people. Sure, you don't want drips/runs or thin spots, but the fancy masking is what seems to kill people. Spectrum does a pretty good job with the fancy stuff, but expect to get into the $800 range quickly.

~ B A D A S S ~
    specialized.. see sig

Specialized sucks ass.

A God Without A Name
    Specialized, Doesn't.

gotta love the graphic design on that site though!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I do airbrush art for fun and this guy is the person I always reccomend:
    https://www.facebook.com/darin.wheeler
    he has been painting frames for a long time and has a great reputation....personal custom to team frames....great guy and great artist.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    In my painting job I almost use only brushes, the spray gun it is used only in the clear coat. If you know anybody that can do the top coat for you, no problems with space and equipment. Painting with brushes you don't need much space, only patience and patience and a lot of time. I use cashew-based paints.

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by Deru View Post
    In my painting job I almost use only brushes, the spray gun it is used only in the clear coat. If you know anybody that can do the top coat for you, no problems with space and equipment. Painting with brushes you don't need much space, only patience and patience and a lot of time. I use cashew-based paints.
    I prefer almond base coats with a pistachio clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast