mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Belt Drive Road Bike w/Fenders - How to tension?

Hi - I am in the process of building my first belt drive single speed road bike. It will have fenders. I already have some horizontal dropouts with tensioning screws which I think would work well. But, because of the fenders I thought it might be better to go with an eccentric bottom bracket instead. Any suggestions for what is best? Thanks!

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    Mount the fender after the belt is tensioned.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Maybe I am slow this morning - how are the fenders relevant? Do they somehow interfere with the belt or the dropouts?

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well maybe I am over thinking it. First I worry though about the alignment of the fenders with the wheel when the chain needs to be adjusted. The bike is a skinny tire road bike, and it would be nice if the fenders are relatively close to the wheel. Second thing that occurred to me is that with full fenders and horizontal drops it might be required to remove the fenders before removing the wheel, which would certainly be annoying in the case of a flat. So, I thought an EBB might be the way to go. Lastly I though maybe belt drive might also influence the decision.

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    IMO EBB's suck. Theres no way around it. Are you running disc's or rim brakes? Either way I'd strongly recommend Paragon's dropouts. The rockers look better, but are hard to get the belt tension high enough. The sliders just plain work, but I dont care for the looks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Would a through-axle eliminate this problem?

Most Delicious
    With horizontals and fenders once the tire is flat that usually frees up enough room to take the tire out. It might help to shorten your dropouts to give you just enough adjustment for tensioning and not much else. That will restrict your choice of gears, though I don't know how good the selection of belt drive parts is to begin with.

Slightly better would be something forward-facing to get the wheel out you only need to go in one direction. One trick I've seen is to position your chainstay bridge slightly forwards of where you would want it and use a spring as a spacer on the fender mounting bolt. This would allow the fender to move out of the way when you need to take the wheel out.

For rearward facing dropouts you can always run a bolt outwards through the fender mounts at the dropouts, and then fix the stays on the bolts with wingnuts.

Sliders would get you pretty close if you can handle the look on a road bike. Rockers would look better. Other than that, the EBB is probably the best way the accomplish all your goals, even though their execution often leaves something to be desired.

Also, slime tubes.