mtbr member

Behold . . . The Miracle Welds!

I'm hacking apart a RoadMaster to build a swing bike. I've seen a lot of bikes, and a lot of welds, but none like these. Maybe they posses genius I'm ignorant to.

How does the weld go below the surface of the tube and yet the frame doesn't collapes?

Most Delicious
    The tubes have extra thick butts on the ends. You're supposed to slightly undercut the welds so you can make sure you have "penetration".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby
    The tubes have extra thick butts on the ends. You're supposed to slightly undercut the welds so you can make sure you have "penetration".
    With tight miters like this seat tube and bottom bracket who needs pentration?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby
    No, No you don't. Undercutting creates stress raisers and the tubes will defo crack there

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Burf86
    No, No you don't. Undercutting creates stress raisers and the tubes will defo crack there
    Yes, Yes you do, like when you put scare quotes around words to indicate you're being sarcastic.