Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions

Well..... Here goes. I'm starting my bamboo bike build. I built my jig a while ago. Ordered bamboo, carbon tow, epoxy and now here I sit. I started by cutting my Motobecane MTB apart. Here are a couple if pics of the progress. I will continue to update. Wish me luck.
    I ride a bike, therefore I am!

AZ
    banned
    No pics.

mtbr member
    Tomorrow

mtbr member
    Here are some pics of the progress. On the seat tube, I drilled out the bamboo so that my seat tube from my old frame would fit inside. I used some liquid nails inside the tube and around the lip were the bamboo and tube meet. It seems to be very tight until i start rapping it with carbon. Any comments??

Bamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-bike-jig.jpgBamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-seat-tube-3.jpgBamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpgBamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Day 2. Just completed installing the down tube. Some tricky mitering, but I got it. Tomorrow; TOP TUBE!!
    Bamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I dig the bedrail(?) fixture!

mtbr member
    The jig deserves a thread of it's own.

Mark

mtbr member
    The jig is made of UNI-STRUT brand metal. It's very versitle. Google it. It will surprise you.

mtbr member
    DAY 3. Top tube inplace. Drop outs mounted also. Looking like a frame now!

Name:  top tube 2.jpeg
Views: 1173
Size:  34.2 KB

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iwantalitebike View Post
    The jig is made of UNI-STRUT brand metal. It's very versitle. Google it. It will surprise you.
    I like that stuff. I use it to keep molds clamped shut.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Here is tonight's progress!!

Bamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpgBamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good so far !!!!!

Mark

mtbr member
    I may be wrong but it looks like the seatstays don't have enough tire clearance.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    I may be wrong but it looks like the seatstays don't have enough tire clearance.
    I thought that too looking at the rear triangle. "Dirt road" or CX bike perhaps? A composite outsider wonders about the various science/realities as it relates to corrosion with that many materials mixing.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    It's a CX frame. And as for the mixture of materials. We'll see how it goes!!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    For the differing material mixture, if your aluminum gets insulated with glass or an initial epoxy layer that cures on its own and is secondarily bonded to (you'll want to etch the cured epoxy layer if you take that route), you'll be golden.

You might have enough room for CX tires. Be sure to mock up the chainring and crank - bamboo is a very uncooperative material in terms of chainstay yokes. Sure you could bend it, but you sure as sh!t cannot squish it as is done with metal.

Keep posting progress, shoot some close-ups!

mtbr member
    Here is the first layer. Kevlar cloth.

Bamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpgBamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Here is a Specialized Captain CX mounted to an old MTB wheel. Also putting layers on the joints now.

Bamboo bike build. Step by step w/questions-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of the seat post junction. It has about 5 layers in some spots. Also the other pic is the dropout area. Lower joints has only I layer of carbon and upper joint just the layer of Kevlar. I ran out of carbon tow so I will be on hiatus for. Few days. Feedback???

mtbr member
    Also, does anyone know where I could get canti bosses that would be good for wrapping in carbon?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Looking good so far. Are you keeping track of your carbon by weight? Layers is not so relevant because tow density can be different among rolls. Whatever you do make sure you get 120 grams of carbon or more at the head tube joint.

Nova Cycle Supply and Paragon Machine Works are places to get small hardware.

I'd say you could probably get away with just using 3M DP 420 and call it done, but that might be a bit ugly, and my inner Mr. Liability says yeah throw a bit of carbon on there after the bosses are tacked.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Also it is extremely difficult for me to tell given the compression wrapping direction - this is not unique to you, happens to everyone who uses tow... are you including tows that sort of run the length of the joint? The slippery epoxy and the nature of the winding wants to guide you into making sort of a chinese finger trap, which is great for compressive strength but isn't great for stiffness. One bike I made in this manner was a total noodle in part because of insufficient lengthwise tows.

A good example is for the bottom bracket, you want a good number of continuous fibers running from the rear of the chainstay yoke to the front of the down tube portion, sort of like a sling. Make sense?

Same goes for under the down tube in the head tube joint, which is even more difficult. The straight portions really want to run diagonal on you. Can be kind of maddening.

mtbr member
    Drew. I did run some tow length wise. I also did some unique patterns but all are underneath the layers you can see. I also plan to do another additional length patterns before the final wrappings.

mtbr member
    The carbon wrap looks good so far. How many layers of kevlar do you have on the dropout joints? With carbon tow, it's fairly easy to get fibers crossing in different directions for strength at the ht, st and bb, not so much for the dropouts. It wants to run unidirectionally only. I usually wrap the dropout joints with at least 5 layers of carbon or kevlar cloth with at least another 4 layers of tow.

mtbr member
    Kosayno
    I only put 1 layer of Kevlar on. But I will keep in mind to go all directions when wrapping. Thx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast