Randomhead
    Sep 2008

Bad advice from Nova, seeking more bad advice

I am building a unicrown fork using these blades. They advise 20mm plug dropouts, so I ordered some. After Fedex took just about forever to bring them across the country (mule train?), it turns out they have about 1/16" slop, so are not going to work with brazing. I had a fleeting thought to order the 22mm drops, but got in a hurry and decided not to.

Since I have to order again anyway, I'm thinking about using the Paragon Wright drops or just going with standard road drops like the old school forks.

I'm annoyed, someone post some pictures of fork dropouts because that always makes me feel better.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    UH-
    The Plug DO's appear to have a V-slot cut in the plug. Perhaps you could spread the V a bit wider so that they fit a bit tighter in the blades. Maybe also slighlty ovalize the fork blade end to fit the resulting small diamater of the plug after it has been spread into slight oval. Bronze should bridge the gap no problem, particularly if you load up inside of the blade with coil of bronze rod to melt and form an internal fillet with the plug. Resulting fit should have about 10X more close metal contact than using a fillet brazed wright DO.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    1/16" gap is huge. You're probably right that filling it would work, but I don't like to take chances with forks. Filler is much weaker the thicker it gets. A tightly mitered and properly brazed Wright dropout would be a much stronger joint

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Perhaps try to make a steel spacer ring to fit between the ID of the blade and the OD of the plug? Unless you have a lathe to exactly fabricate the spacer to needed spec, might be easiest to make the spacer from tubing that is good fit to ID of the blade and then file down the dropout OD for a good fit to whatever resulting ID the space ring is.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I had that idea, make a plug on my lathe. Would also allow me to follow the taper of the blade

Framebuilder
    I had the same deal last year, same drops you have, different source for the blades.
    I was going to sleeve the dropout plug, but that kinda defeats the purpose of plug drops in the first place. I figured if I was going to put that much time into it, I could make them look a whole lot cooler.
    So, I copied Steve Potts!
    S.c. 26 er | Flickr - Photo Sharing! stream

mtbr member
    I have used these blades.

I cut them shorter to make a 26" fork. Are you doing the same? I used the 22mm plug-in and it was a little loose, but O/K. The difficulty that I encountered was being International and having to call them directly and spoke to Lon. He measured for me on the spot the Diameter so I could order the right size D/O, they did not know from memory, which to me was a little surprising.

The fork by the way has been replaced as it was so unyeilding. It re-defined the term 'rigid'. I would happily sell them to be used on a jump bike. I even thought of converting it into a 'Lefty' it is that strong.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

Most Delicious
    What about wrapping the dropout with some steel wire to get it up to a good OD?

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I know it will time consuming and likely not relieve your annoyance, but what about welding up the insertion area of the DOs and re-profiling it to the proper slip fit? Of course, you will loose some of the plug-in nature of it, and have to pay extra attention to getting the insertion even side to side, but I would think this would address ALL of your concerns.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker