brownpow! (?)

New question here. Amount of press fit intereference for headtube I.D and headset O.D.?

How much interference is there generally between a headset and headtube?

Reason I'm asking is that I ended up with a Ti bike that has a funky 1-1/4 headtube. It measures about 36mm I.D. and all the 1.25" headsets and 1.25->.1.125" headset spacers seem to measure about 37mm on the O.D. I tried turning down the spacers to 36.5mm and it's still too much difference. How much press-fit should there be? Certainly .020" is a lot, which is likely why it doesn't seem to want to go, but is a .005" press fit too little interference, is .010" too much?? I really have no idea how much difference there should be nor what amount headset mfgr's normally use.

Any insight or advice is appreciated.
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    .004" is the correct number, but you have something else wrong, the head tube should be 36.9mm.

I believe what you have is one of the ti frames (lightspeed, maybe, I don't remember) that used a bonded in aluminum sleeve to bring it down to 33.9, proper size for a normal 1.125" head set.

I ran into that issue a while back when one of the aluminum sleeves wore out. I spun a new one down on the lathe for a slight press fit and used some loctite, as they wouldn't sell me a new one.

brownpow! (?)
    think im basically gonna do the same thing w the reducers i already have, looks like 36.13mm is approx what ill need
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng