mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Aluminum headset cups in carbon headtubes

Hi, do any of you builders see an issue with using aluminum cups in a full carbon headtube? Headset is a Chris King Inset 7 internal headset and headtube is custom bare carbon (It's a handbuild DIY project). I know the effects of galvanic corrosion that exists between carbon and aluminum. Doesn't seem to be an issue with aluminum and carbon seattubes though that don't have aluminum inserts. I'm not very interested in using grease or carbon prep. I'm making my headtube on a machined mandrel and considered using a layer of s-fiberglass as the first layer that would make contact with the headset cup. I'll be doing that on my bottom bracket shell anyway.
    I've noticed on my carbon road bikes they use steel cups and they have almost no press/interference fit. All of the information I can find online states a press fit tolerance of no more than .1mm but doesn't specify any difference between frame materials. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I don't have any results with it yet, because I'm a lazy butt. But I'm doing essentially what you are, one because I didn't want to bother with too much insulation work, and two because I wanted a larger head tube than available from Paragon. I outsourced the machining of a tapered two piece 49.57mm OD mandrel with a square lip. I've made three nice looking head tubes with it.

Anyway - Cane Creek ZS49 cups, for example, are anodized. Someone else pointed out this "duh" sort of idea to me recently.

PS You like fat bikes as well? Send me a PM and let's talk more at length in private. I have an all carbon fattie in the works this winter
    Latitude: 44.93 N