R.I.P. Pugsley.

Advice needed on a custom crossover between a Pugsley and a Krampus.

Last year i had a little accident with my Pugs that buckled my frame, and i had some other priorities to attend to before i could replace my frame.
    I was/am looking for an older 22"frame with the higher TT, wich i nearly impossible to find without it getting to expensive.
    The main reason i want(ed) this frame is because i have a custom frambeag and TT-bag made to fir that bike and didn't want to ditch the old and order a new one.
    And with the reports about cracked frames that have come up in the last months, i am having my doubts about getting a newer model.
    I already was in the middle of completing my Karate Monkey that i started in the summer and still had other bikes that i could ride, so i wasn't completely bikeless.
    Since then the Krampus and Knard's became available (more or less) and it looks like a really fun bike to ride, but spending a lot of money on yet another bike isn't an option at this time.

I have been using a Maverick SC32 on my Pug from the beginning, and i really liked the handling and feel of the bike.
    And i am currently riding my Monkey with the original rigid fork, and thinkt it's okay.
    I also have tried it with the SC-32, and i like that a lot more than riding it rigid.

And then a few weeks ago someone posted a thread with a link to this company : BIKEPOL Mielec - the aluminium bicycle frames producer | Producent aluminiowych ram rowerowych Bikepol
    They are based in Poland and are pretty cheap.
    And this thread got me thinking about a custom frame.
    I have no experience with framebuilding/designing, geometry etc, so i was hoping some of the more experienced people on this part of the forum could help me out with this idea i am toying with.

I want a bike that can handle fat, 29 and 29+ tires.
    The fat wheels will use a Rohloff hub so there would be no need for the 17.5mm offset of a Pugs or a 100mm BB. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
    So horizontal or rocker style dropouts are needed.
    The 29 and 29+ wheelsets will be a regular 3x9 XTR setup.
    And it has to be able to use a 100/120mm fork.

One other thing is that i really, really like the straight lines of the 1st generation Pugsley's and Karate Monkey's and am not a big fan of bent tubing.
    (a double or split TT would be something i would consider as well.)

So how would this bike look on paper, and hopefully in my hands and under my *ss ?

Thank's in advance, your info and ideas are very welcome !

Harrumph
    Your still going to need a wide bb and some offset. You might be able to get away with an 83mm bb and less than the Pugs' 17.5 mm offset.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Thank's for the reply G-reg.
    I forgot to mention that i have no desire to go bigger than 3.7 on max 70mm rims, will that matter much ?

Harrumph
    I was assuming "narrow" fat rims and tires with your fork choice. I think the speedhub's chainline is really close to not needing offset.

The need for offset would have more to do with the chain clearing a Knards in the granny/big cog of a 3x9.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Aaah, good to be on the same page.
    For now, the front it will be 65mm rims at max.
    But as you might know, there are true fatbike forks coming anytime soon.
    As for tire clearance with the Knard's, i guess i can always use one less cog in the rear.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    You need to start calling builders. The internet is not the place to figure this out.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Would you care to elaborate on why i should start calling builders, and why the internet is not the place to figure this out ?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Well, really, you should call the company. You have not contacted them? Why not? You prefer to solicit advice from random anonymous strangers on the internet, probably NONE of whom have ridden or even seen a bike built by this company?

You get what you pay for. If you are very picky (that is not a bad thing, but if you are you need to be realistic about it) and you have very little money to spend, you will probably end up unhappy. Decent quality production bikes are usually a better bet than super-cheap bottom of the barrel "custom" stuff (I'm not saying this company fits that description, I know nothing about them).

So call some real framebuilders who you can get a straight answer from, figure out how much you need to save up, and do it right. Or do it cheap and roll the dice, your call.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Harrumph
    Whoops, I must have deleted it with some cell phone typing... But the first line of my first post was: "These threads always start with you should be discussing this with the builder."

The rest of the reply was "for reference use only."

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Your still going to need a wide bb and some offset. You might be able to get away with an 83mm bb and less than the Pugs' 17.5 mm offset.
    I have a lonely 83mm bottom bracket shell that's been whispering suggestive thoughts to me at night, and it claims that 135 with 10mm offset would work pretty good for single speed and Alfine setups with modestly sized tires.

It may have an ulterior motive, though...