mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Adjustable reamer for 44mm headtubes and PF 46 bottom brackets

Does anyone use adjustable reamers for 44mm headtubes and PF46 bottom brackets?

I was doing some research with the MSC catalog. MSC# 02239127 sells for $95.74 and looks like it might work. The reamer is rated for 1-1/2" to 1-13/16". With conversion to metric this works out to be 38.1mm to 46.03mm. I use a smaller size on of these for seat tubes and it works well for 27.2mm.

Is anyone using one of these and/or what are your thoughts about pros/cons?
    Last edited by febikes; 02-24-2013 at 07:27 AM.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Won't work - the adjustable flute reamers actually cut a tapered hole (ie the reamer has to pass all the way through the item being reamed, generally). Could you get close? Probably. But you'd have a more than decent chance of ruining a frame. Just cough up the money for the right tool.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Nemophilist
    Indeed;

Post ream is intended to be a VERY localized, light process. An adjustable reamer is like using a scatter gun for target practice. It might work, but it's a crude way to go... and it might not too. In my world, ya gotta do a lot of work before you abandon the LBS for this....
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

~ B A D A S S ~
    Also all the adjustable reamers I have seen and used (machinist) are like 5x the diameter in length of the cutting surfaces, and the whole tool usually 10x the diamter in length. where the bike specific reamers seems to be like 0.25x the diameter or similar. Also when machining stuff there are usually 3 reamers used. lets say you want 40.00mm then you drill a hole at 39.7 ream to 39.8, ream to 39.9 and then the final 40.00. Its not the same stuff.

the flutes gets progressively flatter with each reamer, ending at almost 100% axial. Dormer makes very good reamers for general machining.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Never use an adjustable reamer on anything you care about. They are for emergencies only. The do not ream cylindrically.