mtbr member
    Dec 2008

adding rear disc to older steel frame- custom welding

Thinking about doing something to be able to run rear discs on my 1996 Marin Pine Mountain.

I've got a nice xc type disc wheelset to use (dt swiss 420 rims, specialized/shimano hubs, dt swiss spokes) and at least initially will run hayes mx-2 mechanicals.

I am willing to weld tabs onto the bike if that's what it comes down to (and is what's best), but am not willing to spend more than about nothing.

I'm doing this as much to do it as for any other reason. I do plan to build the bike up nice enough that I can legitimately race it if I want to though. The rest of the build will be pretty simple (SS with a singleator, ritchey stem, manitou mars fork, bontrager crowbars, fsa headset, cannondale fire post and undecided saddle but maybe just the stocker from my redline)

anyways-

I threw the disc rear wheel off my girlfriends bike in the frame as a "mock-up" and the hayes caliper on an upside down 203mm rotor adaptor and... with one of the brackets holes lined up on the rack mount tab (who knows how strong that is) the caliper has the right spacing to the disc!

I'm thinking- weld that rather than using the small threaded rack mount, weld another tab up from the seat stay and call it good for 160mm mech. brake use only. If it breaks (which I doubt) I'll still have the stronger front brake anyways.

or do ya'll think I should tie it into the brake post up higher? Could be easily done, but would be hideous (see mass manufactured brackets for this purpose).

lastly- I have no qualms about welding on the steel frame etc., but want to keep it minimal enough that I don't have to do a respray. I'm proud of the patina on the frame as well as the vintage "vail bike tech" and "made in america" stickers.

-Drew

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Read the FAQ.

This question is pretty specifically addressed there.

If you have experience welding thin wall steel, this is a very easy job. If you don't, you will just destroy your frame. It's that simple.

I would recommend not using the rack mount to attach the disc caliper. Get a tab from Paragon and modify it as needed. Put a seat/chainstay brace on there as well.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with Walt. You can get a basic tab from Paragon for about $7, which makes anything else silly and a waste of time in comparison.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with Walt. You can get a basic tab from Paragon for about $7, which makes anything else silly and a waste of time in comparison.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a similar situation and I took it to my local frame builder. He did the job for $40. which to me is about as close to free as it gets. He added the disc tab and a small brace between the chain stay and seatstay. Well worth the time to have it done right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Dan03..... Looking to do this as well. Where is the shop you had this done at if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had it done in Danbury CT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm willing to ship the frame out, could you pass on the info a maybe a picture of the work. Would really appreciate it.