mtbr member

Adding a disc mount to an old steel frame, what are the risks?

I was wondering about this, and after some searchs in the forum I found out that is possible to weld a disc mount to a cro-mo frame. However, what are the risks of doing so?

Also, is it possible to trim the v-brake nipples?

Would these two modifications compromise the frame integrity?

Thanks!
    Sorry for my lousy English. Please feel free to point out my errors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It is quite possible to add disc tabs, so long as a brace between the chainstay and seatstay is also added. You can trim the v-brake studs off with hacksaw, file and sandpaper with no worries about structural integrity (as long as you're careful).
    But - if we're talking about a vintage frame - do you really need discs in the rear? Added expense, plus you're permanently altering the frame. Good V-brakes like Avids have tons of stopping power in their own right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79
    It is quite possible to add disc tabs, so long as a brace between the chainstay and seatstay is also added. You can trim the v-brake studs off with hacksaw, file and sandpaper with no worries about structural integrity (as long as you're careful).
    But - if we're talking about a vintage frame - do you really need discs in the rear? Added expense, plus you're permanently altering the frame. Good V-brakes like Avids have tons of stopping power in their own right.
    Thanks for your answer.

To be honest, it was more a curiosity question than anything else. Is not like I need it, just was wondering about that

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another thing you have to worry about is disc clearance on the frame. Always mount a wheel with a disc on it to check first before you add the tab.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    That looks amazing! I will search for reviews of it. Thanks!