mtbr member
    Jun 2006

853 steel frame with Ti seatpost?

Hello,

There look to be a number of steel building/materials experts that frequent this forum, and your input will be greatly appreciated.

I am the proud owner of a 2005 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20th Anniversary edition made from Reynolds 853. I would like to run a Titanium seatpost as the resilience and flex of a Ti post is great on my OCLV hardtail, and I think that it would nicely compliment the ride of a good steel frame.

But, will I run the risk of the post galling/seizing in the seattube of this frame? What If I use a healthy helping of lithium grease or even Ti Anti Seize on the post/seattube interface?

Any Educated help and/or experience regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Bernard

A_A
    mtbr member
    I used a Ti seatpost in an 853 frame for years, used anti-seize and never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I don't see any reason why there would be a problem. Usually one worries about seizing mostly with a Ti - Ti interface, though in general I use ti anti-seize as a grease substitute with Ti and anything else.

mtbr member
    Copper based anti-seize is essential in Ti-Ti interfaces only, with other materials, grease works fine. However, copper based anti-seize is cheap, and you can use it for all materials to prevent corrosion.

Ti seatposts in steel works just fine. Been done for as long as Ti seatposts have been around...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks for the input.

Seems like the general concensus is that the post will work fine. I am glad because finding a 26.8 Ti post was kind of a chore. I'll just lube it properly and not worry about it.

Thanks for the input.

Bernard

pvd
    mtbr member
    Ti sucks ass. Go with carbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    hey thanks for you opinion pvd, but whereas i wouldn't buy another set of Ti handlebars, a carbon BB spindle seems a few years away yet.

fwiw, i got a chromo fsa bmx crank and a swap ti spindle and it came with the copper antiseize to use, i have never used it and have had no problems because ti doesnt corrode i have used it / removed it for 4 years. you might want to use some framesaver on it, as well as a synthetic grease to ease install.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Ti Vs Carbon (seatpost)

PVD,

Have you actually compared Ti vs carbon seatposts? I did. I had a Ti Syncros seatpost for several years and really liked it because it had a nice amount of flex when the rear wheel hit a bump and it actually has very nice vibration damping (Both of these properties are great for a hardtail, but perhaps less necessary with a full suspension bike). I purchased a Syncros Carbon seatopst because I thought that it may be just as good, but several things became apparent when I fit this to my bike and took a ride. In comparison to the Ti post the carbon had little flex and the vibration damping was notably inferior. Also, it seemed to allow the seat to twist while I pedaled, and I didn't particularly like this. I figured that maybe it was just not well designed, so I selected a Titec and found the same to be true with the Titec except perhaps it didn't allow the seat to rotate much while I pedaled. Weight of the three was a negligible difference. Titanium as a material has a high modulous of elasticity and also verh hith fatigue resistance, and I think that it is an optimal material for the application of a seatpost. Also with Carbon there is the possibility of catastrophic failure - though I would bet that this is a very rare occurrance with modern carbon manufacturing processes.

Have you ever used a Titanium seatpost? If you do so, you might find that you actually like it.

Also, just so you know, it is Technically Impossible for an inanimate object (as you have stated "Titanium") to actually suck an ass - as you have suggested...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard3rd
    Also, just so you know, it is Technically Impossible for an inanimate object (as you have stated "Titanium") to actually suck an ass - as you have suggested...

Oh man...LMAO..that was pretty funny, put a smile on my face during a looonnnnngggg day.
    Who makes ti posts anyways? They seem harder to come by

nothing relevant to say
    Bernard3rd: I'm running a Ti post with True Temper OX Platnium, and normal grease isn't cutting it. I remove the post frequently to make sure there is nothing shady happening down there. Everytime I do, it seems likes the grease has left. I was using a blue marine, water proof grease ( very good in everyother application I've used it with), but it seems I needed to go with something different. We have Permatex brand Anti-Seize lube in the shop and that seems to work best. One mans experience.

Uncoordinated coward
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    Who makes ti posts anyways? They seem harder to come by
    Moots, USE, Blacksheep, Eriksen, Dean, and the rebranded Chinese ones (Van Nicholas, Hi-Light, SRP, Mosso...)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks for the input.

Cracked headtube,

Thanks for the message. I have some Ti anti seize, and some Phil wood bearing grease as well as some white lithium grease. Maybe I'll use the Ti anti seize just to be on the safe side.

The above listed posts are the main ones. I sincerely wish that Syncros would bring their design back. I love it, and it has lasted on my OCLV hardtail since 1998. Hit it with a Scotch Brite pad, and it shines up like the day I bought it. Though I don't think that this would be recommended on the non polished posts such as Moots. It is nice to see Moots making a 30.9 now too. Too bad no one makes a 26.8 anymore.

Bernard

mtbr member
    It is nice to see Moots making a 30.9 now too.

Bernard
    REALLY? Where can I get one? This is EXCELLENT news!

pvd
    mtbr member
    I had a Ti Syncros seatpost
    I had the same seatpost on a Yo Eddy! about 12 years ago. It was bent within a year. It also cost a small fortune. I'll never make that mistake again. The ride quality was not much better than the aluminum version.

A Kalloy Guizzo SPC-100 (or SPC-101) is a very cheap carbon seatpost that is quite light and offers a nice ride quality. I've got one of these on a road bike right now. Very well made considering the price.

http://www.kalloyuno.com/productguizzo-2.htm#Seatposts

MSRP- $ 40

I'd try one of these long before spending any serious cash on a Ti post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Where to get a moots 30.9 Cinch post?

I am not exactly sure where to get one of these...

Maybe call Moots and inquire as to whether there are any dealers in your area or if it is possible to order from an online dealer.

Here is a link to the post(s).

http://www.moots.com/#/product/ti_co...nch_seatposts/

Bernard

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Syncros Ti post

I guess that our experience on the Syncros Ti post has been quite different. Mine is still going strong since 1998. I weighed about 185-190 when I rode it alot .I am A bit more now...Were you heavier than that when you bent yours? Also, I even had a large portion of the post riding out of the frame, and it still held... To me the ride quality is far superior to Aluminum or Carbon.

Bernard

pvd
    mtbr member
    I weighed about the same and also had a lot of post out of the frame. I'm 5'10" and I was on a Med/small Yo Eddy!. 29.4mm diameter post.

I do ride extremely aggressively and take lots of chances. That said, the ride quality was not truely improved by going to Ti. One reason may actually be too much flex. In suspension tuning, a spring that is too soft will actually feel harsher than the correct stiffer spring. This could be why it didn't change the ride quality. A slightly thicker wall could have reduced flex and counterintuitively improved ride quality.

Over the last 20 years of riding mountain bikes I have learned many important things. The one that is relavent to this topic is the importance of a good saddle for comfort. Most people keep buying super light saddles. Very poor place to loose weight. Padding adds weight but increases comfort. I have found that the heaviest WTB saddle, the Speed V (non-gel), is one of the most comfortable saddles that I have ever used. It's heavy at 400 grams, but the comfort level attained is transformative. Give one of these a try! Cheap at $30.

http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/recreation/speedv/

Gabe.....
    "Speed V (non-gel), is one of the most comfortable saddles "...........I'll second that!
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

word

I was a little bummed when I saw that the Speed-V saddle I got had a "weekend warrior" label on it, but it's a loooot more comfortable than the Rocket-V that I have.

But those flite saddles with the carbon shell are pretty comfortable too [not].