Thread: #8

mtbr member

Well, I thought I'd post some pics of this, because I'm pretty proud of it. I feel like I've started to build decent frames and that's pretty cool.

It's a 3 speed 29er for all around that I built for a friend. 70.5/72 HT/STA, 668 FC 444 CS's. a lot if firsts on this bike too. First time working with heat treated tubes (not that bad). Also my first "kicker bar" as Garro would call it. First IGH, and first bike I vut for so done else that I've had a really hard time not keeping.

[IMG]ttp://www.sklarbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/20130501-130141.jpg[/IMG]

Nemophilist
    Visually appealing;

I like it.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Harrumph
    Cool, that's paint correct?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Powder actually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Which 3 speed did you go for (Sram / Sturmey / Shimano)?

I built my last 29er to suit occasional Sturmey use with old school axle nut cable entry (it is a new type hub with disc mount and 135mm old). It worked quite well - sort of singlespeed+. The only negatives were lack of sealing for mtb use and excessive amount of spacers they fit to obtain the 135mm spacing (moves chainline a long way inboard and maybe prone to axle bending due to unsupported length outside bearings).

Can you tell any difference with the extra tube? I've been considering getting a friend to do an FEA on one of my CAD models to see if they add anything significant (e.g. to go with a longish fork instead of increasing the down tube diameter).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mickuk View Post

Can you tell any difference with the extra tube? .
    Other than style I think the only difference would be added weight, and that most likely would be imperceptable given the use the frame was built for. Very nice bike.

Brian

mtbr member
    Thanks Brian,

And Mickuk,
    It's got a shimano nexus in there. We're not really sure how it's goin to work out, but so far so good. Rides and shifts really nice. As for the extra tube, I'm pretty sure it makes the frame stiffer. I haven't ridden it for very long, so it's hard to tell, but it at least makes sense to me.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Is the downtube butted? Does the kicker join in the thin section? Intuitively it would seem like you'd want a straightgauge downtube since you're making a nice stress riser/HAZ part way down.

Looks very cool!

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Is the downtube butted? Does the kicker join in the thin section? Intuitively it would seem like you'd want a straightgauge downtube since you're making a nice stress riser/HAZ part way down.

Looks very cool!

-Walt
    Hey Walt!

The DT is straight gauge. Definitely would be a bad idea putting a tube on the thin section. Surprisingly, it didn't even come out that heavy. 25 lbs built up with an IGH and not that nice if other stuff. Pretty cool.

And thanks!!