mtbr member
    May 2013

6061 AL failure warning?

I'm specifically asking the frame building guys this because i'm assuming a well rounded knowledge of the properties of frame materials, specifically 6061 AL.

I built up a hardtail with a cheap "Leader 510" frame. It's 6061 and recommends a 100mm fork. The best deal i could get on a nice air fork happened to be a 130mm Manitou Minute. I've ridden it several times and it feels just fine.

Knowing that this fork is too long, I know I risk failing the head tube. Given that I got this frame for $50, I'm not to worried about it, but what i do worry about is, you know, dying. So i'm wondering how 6061 usually fails. will it show a crack first, will it bend, will there be any warning sign, or will it just fail catastrophically out of the blue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How much do you weigh, how abusive(big drops, jumps, etc.) are you to the bike?

Brian

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    it will fail slowly, if at all. Clean your bike regularly and you should be able to spot any incipiant cracking. If it cracks, get another bike

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm about 200#, i'm not nuts with it, but i do my share of endos.
    I probably only put crazy stress on it when crashing, at which point it really doesn't matter any more.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    it will fail slowly, if at all. Clean your bike regularly and you should be able to spot any incipiant cracking. If it cracks, get another bike
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Putting a slightly longer travel fork on your frame is unlikely to make it prematurely fail. Its one of those old wives tales that dates back to a time when manufacturers would not warrant a frame that you stuck a suspension fork on. The longer the fork, the more leverage on the front end of the frame, but the difference in A-C between a 100mm fork and 130mm fork is at most 30mm (and in reality when setup with proper amounts of sag out riding on the trail much much less). The only time a suspension fork can exert max. force on your headtube is at the end of its travel (ie. bottom out) and that point will be pretty much the same whether its 100mm or 130mm fork.