Belltown Brazer

#23: Road bike for a fast mtb lady...

that has never ridden a road bike that fits. 650B rando-commuter.

Happy holidaze!

B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #23: Road bike for a fast mtb lady...-k2.jpg  

#23: Road bike for a fast mtb lady...-k3.jpg  

#23: Road bike for a fast mtb lady...-k6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice!!! The brake arch is awesome... I really like the way that the arch goes all the way through the stay... really cool

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Nice!!! The brake arch is awesome... I really like the way that the arch goes all the way through the stay... really cool
    Yeah, and is it threaded, making it a stealth rack/blinky light boss? Does the brake arm get in the way?

Gabe.....
    The SS and ST sleeve are cool............lucky girl. Did you use Surly DO's?
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

pvd
    mtbr member
    I like the arch. Maybe ill try something like that on my next road bike.

Can you post a print, rider, and tube specs?

Dad
    Nice work, B!

Witty McWitterson
    ya. That brake arch is really neat. marvelous idea. I've really enjoyed watching your skills improve, and ideas bloom. Good stuff!
    Just a regular guy.

Belltown Brazer
    Thanks for the kind words fellas. I have to admit I'm proud of that brake bridge. Too bad it's mostly hidden behind the brake. This yellow bike is my best so far, it seemed like the build went pretty easy from the miters to the finish work. My processes are becoming more consistent...solving "issues" is fun and all, but it is neat when things start to go as planned too.

The cross tubes are threaded to accept a water bottle bolt. Now I just have a set screw in there to keep the tube closed. Of course it could take a blinky light mount, or even a rack attachment, but you would have to make accomodation for the brake arm.

The tubing on this bike is mostly Deda, with some true temper thrown in. TT and DT are 8-5-8, seat tube is 9-6. The dropouts are the NOVA wrights. The internal brake cable conduit is stainless 0.25". The stainless tabs on the TT allow a stainless-to-stainless joint for the conduit, and they reinforce the conduit hole, and they keep the cable off the paint. Win-win-win. I'm sure I was inspired from someone out there, but can't remember who to properly tip my hat...perhaps Dazza? One can find plenty of inspiration in his work, right?

Oh, I don't like the (Garro-inspired) sleeve. I got too jiggy with the shaping. I was wanting to have the sleeve follow the contours of the tube miters...but it didn't really come out like it looked in my head.

The rider is a 5'4" female. Former local (New England) pro-level XC racer girl. Really strong girl, and picturing her on the cute yellow bike blasting past the full-kit roadies on their carbon wunder-bike makes me laugh. She's never had a road bike that fit, and has generally avoided the road riding. Now that work sucks up too much time, she wants to commute to squeeze some more miles in. She likes to "be over" the pedals, so I used a 74 seat tube angle. She wanted a level-ish TT and bars an inch below the seat. Hence the riser stem (I'm with Peter with the riser stems).

Peter, I draw the frames full size on paper, so I don't really have a print to share. Shoot me an email if you have specific questions. I was going to barge in with my own email to you anyway to bounce an idea or two off of you for a mtb I have in my head.

Anyway, here's to a great 2011 everyone!

B

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nice work doc. You've got all the bells and whistles on it, meaning the very nice bridge and the internal brake cable. Very fine!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    B - Are those Velo-Orange Diagonale Rims/Wheels? If so, what's your initial take on them?

mtbr member
    Do you know what the frame ended up weighing after powder?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You gotta love those fenders, but I wonder how much weight and drag they add.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora30
    You gotta love those fenders, but I wonder how much weight and drag they add.
    Probably much less than the weight of water and mud on the rider if they weren't there.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    LOL Good point, especially for cyclists in rain-prone regions.

Belltown Brazer
    The fenders really only weight a few ounces. And I know I cannot tell the difference of fender on/off IRT to drag. But they rule the roost when the going is wet.

And there is nothing better then cruising past a full-kit carbo-fred on your fendered, front-rack-and-lunch-box bike.

B

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I will not build or ride another roadie that doesn't accept fenders. 3 out of 4 of my road bikes have them and you can guess which bike doesn't get ridden. I even moved the brake arch of my commuter up so it could fit some 60mm fenders. Fenders Rule and there is no way around it. Beautiful bike, BTW.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.

Members who have read this thread: 0