Thread: 2013 PVD Raider

pvd
    mtbr member

2013 PVD Raider

This is along the lines of some of the trendy builds going on. Some folks may enjoy.

Raider! | Peter Verdone Designs

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looks Really good! I think a lot of people would refer to this style of bike as a hybrid. Or a skinny-tired 29er. Or a fat-tired, flat bar road bike. Or an adventure touring bike without rack brazeons. This is a sweet bike for a little of everything. If it were my bike, I would have added a few brazeons for fenders or even a rack if I ever decided I wanted to use it for commuting. All in all, I think it is a great bike!

Harrumph
    Wow, shorter/steeper than I was expecting from PVD. Do you like how it rides? It seems like you are happy with the execution, but not necessarily the purpose.

I've been tempted to check out Fusion forks, I've heard really good things about their higher end DH stuff.

And e-high five for the safety wire The former aircraft mechanic in loves it! I'm a huge fan of using it vs zip ties once a setup is semi-permanent.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

pvd
    mtbr member
    It's a tough one. So many compromises rather than the dedicated rigs I usually do. This is more of a swiss army knife rather than a chef's knife.

mtbr member
    Nice ride, but IMO a more bright/colorful color would enhance even more the bike

Being using one of this "swiss army knife" on some rides I do.
    Rather than the usual: car trip to mountain - MTB in mountain - car trip back home, is more --> bike/road - MTB/Mountain - bike/road
    I went the width tire route, using 2.35x26 Schwalbe Big Apple fully rigid.
    considering mounting some fixed fenders, but since rain almost stopped over here (Portugal), maybe only next year.

Think about making a multiposition handlebar as Jones Handlebar - awkward, but I think that it helps on the road/Touring part of the ride.
    Regardind racks, I use a attachable one (seatpost) to carry some photo equipment or other stuf.

Use some frame-bags to carry other stuff.

PS: 2chainring setup it's ok, but I'd would go triple - uglier but easier on the legs on those BIG climbs after some miles on the road.
    Last edited by Tkul; 02-14-2013 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Curious why not just rider the Tie Advanced X1 for the gravel road adventures?

Purely due to wanting the fork for your wrists?

pvd
    mtbr member
    The Tie Advanced X1 was a disc road bike. It has a shorter front and a (too) steep head angle. The steel fork and steel bars are quite painful by modern standards. Even on road, I'm pretty spoiled with high end carbon forks. Once in the dirt, I still require active suspension. Good eye on that, it's a fair question.

I did take that bike on a Locust ride a while back. I bailed on the 'mixed terrain' ala suffer on road and dirt portion and jumped into singletrack from the top of Tam to the bottom. It was a wild ride. Doable but challenging. That was before the wrist injury though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The X1 is a bike just struck me as way cool when you first posted it.

I am in the process of working on my first bike and attempting a slant six lugged version of something similar.

We don't have much 'mixed terrain' around here, it's either paved or gnar. I kinda want this first bike I am planning to be capable on mixed, but reality is it will see 95% paved use.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Why not just do a road bike with long reach brakes? That's probably the most usefull bike in the real world. Put some fender mounts on, then you can run CX tires or fenders but still have a nice bike for road riding.
    I'm convinced that going over 73 degrees on the head just sucks on the road. Less than 73 sucks too. Ha!