~ B A D A S S ~

Is 20 amps low enough range for bikes?

I have found a tig-welder that seems nice, only problem is that it only goes down to 20A. Now I wonder if this is low enough for bike frames or do I need one that goes down to 5-10A or so?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that will be fine. they say one amp per thousandth and you won't be using much .020 so you should be good.

I find that I use five amps as a base and then go one amp per from there and it works out better as a starting spot for me

~ B A D A S S ~
    I see. I talked to my father about it and the only thing he could come up with is that the ramp down feature can only ramp down to 20 and then it shuts off to 0 if I have a welder that only goes down to 20A.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Does the tig welder have pulse and high frequency start? I am sure that with good skill you can work with a 20 amp limit but it is not ideal. Especially if you are new to TIG you will benefit from using a machine that helps you as much as possible. In particular a machine with pulse technology will help reduce the total heat input into the tubing.

My research and personal experience tells me that that having a machine with pulse and good amp control makes learning tig easier. I would not say I am really all that great today but my bike has managed around 10k of off road miles and I have not seen any welds fail in the field.

I ended up getting a used Miller 150 STH after trying a few machines. Having high frequency start plus the ability to control the amps and use pulse is a good thing. I got mine used for $600 then bought a foot pedal and some argon. For bikes the 150 STH is a good machine because it was really designed around steel and low amp for thin material. These pop up used fairly often so watch Craigs list. The 150 comes in multiple versions but the STH version is the only one that has pulse and high frequency start.

Good luck, TIG is a long road but it is really a lot of fun.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

~ B A D A S S ~
    It turns out i was confusing the cheap welder with a tig/stick, unfortunately it was only a stick welder, it could have been better detailed on the site what it really was. The brand i was looking at was Migatronic (from denmark). Their small tig welders have pulse and hf, and the pulse section is really deep too, lots of setting to adjust and get lost in.

Specialized sucks ass.