Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

17 years ago last week... Bontrager content

I had just turned 24 years old a few weeks before this pic was taken. Time flies when you're having fun!

Bontrager

Cheers,
    KP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17 years ago last week... Bontrager content-kirk-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 11-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Harrumph
    Very cool. Do you old timers ever wonder what happened to those frames? I'd like to think they didn't collect dust...... Before they became collectable...... to collect dust.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Very cool. Do you old timers ever wonder what happened to those frames? I'd like to think they didn't collect dust...... Before they became collectable...... to collect dust.
    The only one I am interested in is my personal bike... a single speed I built there in 1996. There's a forum member who owns it now, but he won't sell it back to me!

Cheers,
    KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    The only one I am interested in is my personal bike... a single speed I built there in 1996. There's a forum member who owns it now, but he won't sell it back to me!
    Begs the question, why not just build yourself a replica?

It wouldn't be lacking in authenticity after all, even if it wouldn't have quite the same attachment as the original.

'Calm Down'

Cheers,
    KP
    I'm just keeping it safe for you...

jw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17 years ago last week... Bontrager content-bontiss_dropbar2.jpg  

-

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne View Post

jw
    aaarrrrggggghhhhhh!

Pacenti Cycle Design

Hi.

jw
    Why not sell it back?

I love reuniting previous owners of stuff with gear I'm selling/giving away. Especially if there's a sentimental attachment (as is in this case.)

Who knows - maybe you can work out some kind of deal

Who turned out the lights
    It looks like he may actually still ride it....

Harrumph
    Ok, time for some Antique Roadshow/Pawnstars history from you two.

Grumpy, how'd you come about owning it... And how did Kirk know you have it?

Kirk, so are there any special details that made this different from all the others that weren't your personal frame?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Kirk, so are there any special details that made this different from all the others that weren't your personal frame?
    I am not sure how JW ended up with it, but I had traded it to a fiend in Santa Cruz for another bike a few weeks before I moved to Seattle.

Bontrager frames were very good / fast handling bikes, but a bit too short and steep for my tastes. I always felt like I was going to go over the bars on my stock Race and Race Lite bikes. In fact, I think I did go over the bars more on those bikes than any other bike I had previously owned.

I custom built this one around a size "large" seat tube, but with a 72* seat tube angle instead of the stock 74* seat tube angle. I also stretched the top tube out to 24" from 23", lengthened the head tube to 5.2" (I think) and steepened the head tube angle from 71.5* to 72*

It was a very balanced and sharp handling bike. In fact, I liked it so much that all my bikes (hardtails) since then have shared this geo. I don't ride hardtails anymore, but I am tempted to build another one with a slightly longer TT and slacken the HTA to a more fashion forward 68-69*.

Cheers,
    KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 11-30-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    aaarrrrggggghhhhhh!

Kirk,

I can understand why you'd want that bike back. Some bikes just look right. That Bontrager is one of them.

Alistair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Kirk, my wife and I used to make frames and with the passage of time it's fun to flashback to each frame like an old friend.

By the way she says she can still weld you under the table on aluminum. Hahaha!!! A flashback of the Control Tech days...

Most Delicious

jw
    And the period-correct Titec/Bontrager post and saddle? Ouch.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials View Post
    Hey Kirk, my wife and I used to make frames and with the passage of time it's fun to flashback to each frame like an old friend.

By the way she says she can still weld you under the table on aluminum. Hahaha!!! A flashback of the Control Tech days...
    Do I know your wife? Did she work at Sport Works NW for a while?

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ya she worked at Sportworks for a while, had her own shop until manufacturing crashed around here then retrained to be a scrub tech. Now doing hip and knee replacement surgeries.

mtbr member
    Instead of Kirk building Himself a replica, why not build a replica and make a swap with GrumpyOne for the original? That'd be a win/win situation for both parties I would think.(?)

'Calm Down'

I am not sure how JW ended up with it, but I had traded it to a fiend in Santa Cruz for another bike a few weeks before I moved to Seattle.
    To further the story...

I bought it from a gentleman in New Mexico in Early 2004. (After e-mailing back and forth for months trying to close the deal.) He said he bought it via the MTBR Marketplace sometime in 1997 and the seller was from Northern California (Santa Cruz I assume).

jw
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 12-04-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Found an old e-mail...
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials View Post
    Ya she worked at Sportworks for a while, had her own shop until manufacturing crashed around here then retrained to be a scrub tech. Now doing hip and knee replacement surgeries.
    Michelle? She was a darn good welder!

Pacenti Cycle Design

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spence View Post
    Kirk,

I can understand why you'd want that bike back. Some bikes just look right. That Bontrager is one of them.

Alistair.
    +1, that is one drop dead gorgeous bike! I will never forget her either...
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Plays with tools
    Best welding hood ever made!

Which reminds me I need to get a backup before the auto hood crap takes over and puts huntsman out of business.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    it is cool1

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Best welding hood ever made!

Which reminds me I need to get a backup before the auto hood crap takes over and puts huntsman out of business.
    Agreed, less is more!

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I never understood the Mono seat stay. Agreed they were a fast handling bike...

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    I never understood the Mono seat stay. Agreed they were a fast handling bike...
    What's to understand? Just another way of doing it... Fwiw, I don't care for the aesthetic, but it makes a ton of sense for production bikes. Much more efficient to build wishbone sub-assemblies, than cutting left and right seatstays.

Cheers,
    KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member

jw
    Hi, can you tell me what size the HT is on this bike and what forks you are using? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast