Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

17 years ago last week... Bontrager content

6K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  cchough 
#1 · (Edited)
I had just turned 24 years old a few weeks before this pic was taken. Time flies when you're having fun! :thumbsup:

Bontrager

Cheers,
KP

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Ok, time for some Antique Roadshow/Pawnstars history from you two.

Grumpy, how'd you come about owning it... And how did Kirk know you have it?

Kirk, so are there any special details that made this different from all the others that weren't your personal frame?

#10 · (Edited)
Ok, time for some Antique Roadshow/Pawnstars history from you two.

Grumpy, how'd you come about owning it... And how did Kirk know you have it?

Kirk, so are there any special details that made this different from all the others that weren't your personal frame?
I am not sure how JW ended up with it, but I had traded it to a fiend in Santa Cruz for another bike a few weeks before I moved to Seattle.

Bontrager frames were very good / fast handling bikes, but a bit too short and steep for my tastes. I always felt like I was going to go over the bars on my stock Race and Race Lite bikes. In fact, I think I did go over the bars more on those bikes than any other bike I had previously owned.

I custom built this one around a size "large" seat tube, but with a 72* seat tube angle instead of the stock 74* seat tube angle. I also stretched the top tube out to 24" from 23", lengthened the head tube to 5.2" (I think) and steepened the head tube angle from 71.5* to 72*

It was a very balanced and sharp handling bike. In fact, I liked it so much that all my bikes (hardtails) since then have shared this geo. I don't ride hardtails anymore, but I am tempted to build another one with a slightly longer TT and slacken the HTA to a more fashion forward 68-69*.

Cheers,
KP

#32 ·
We had a baby blue, white and orange Bontrager come through the shop this last summer. It was all original and in great shape. He rides it a lot and takes care of it. I asked the guy if he would sell it and there was no way! Those things are just too perfect to let go.

#34 ·
This thread brings back great memories I bought a Bontrager OR in 1994 and rode that bike until 2002 when I sadly ripped the derailleur hanger off. It was purple with white and silver decals. :)

#35 ·
I'm constantly on the lookout for a Bontrager RaceLite to replace the one I foolishly sold many moons ago. I've thought about having a replica made because like Kirk, the original geo was a little short in the top tube for me.

Ultimately I decided to go with a Sycip as I've wanted one of those for a long time. And while a Neo-trager would be cool, it still wouldn't be a Bontrager.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.