mtbr member
    Jan 2013

#1 - Balance bike

Hi All, I have spent quite a while lurking on this forum and have finally got round to commencing my first frame build.

I decided to build a balance bike for my niece as a Christmas present....

I have all the tubing and I have pretty much finished making the parts for the jig (out of wood).

The jig is made entirely out of off cuts I had lying around. The head tube and seat tube cones took about 10 minutes to turn down on the wood lathe and hopefully they will be really useful.

This weekends plan is to put the jig together and mitre the tubes. I am picking the oxy/acetylene tanks up next week so should be ok to have it all together for Christmas day.

The frame will be fillet brazed. I purchased my supplis from Ceeway who were really helpful and sorted me out with some practice tubes. They are easily long enough for the balance bike and worked out cheap as a bonus!

[IMG]jig photo 20131205_164132_zpsbad7ba9c.jpg[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Oxy/Acetylene plus steel = great wood smoke. lol.

Neat project, but you will braze free of the jig, right?

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah I figured it would get interesting with smoke. I made a couple of extra cones for the head and seat tube in case the burn up.

Will only be using it to get a couple of tacks at each join. I figured using some kind of jig would make it a lot easier to file the tube mitres in one go!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You shouldn't need to use a jig and the cones to get some tacks on a head tube.

Turn the downtube up and on an angle then balance the headtube on the mitre. Please a longer rod in the headtube to weight it and aid in balance.

Harrumph
    IMO your jig should work fine for tacking, if you set fire to anything just tacking tubes in...you're doing it wrong. I've bit off on the mentality that the jig should be used to perfect mitres, not make up for poor ones.

What are you doing as far as parts for the rest of the bike? Any Geometry #'s?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think I could have got away without the Jig, but kind of wanted to try this style out first before making a "proper" one for other frames.

I have the wheels - just some cheap plastic 12" ones that I managed to find online.

The only other thing I need is a handlebar and stem combo but think I will make that myself when the rest of the bike is together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Forgot to add, with the measurements I just measured my niece and roughly guessed something that should fit her. On my drawing I have a 490mm wheelbase, 74.5 head angle and 175mm fork height.

The only bit I am disappointed with so far are the wheels, they are pretty poor quality but should do the job.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you make the stays and fork a little too long for the 12" wheels, you can put 16" ones in when she grows a bit. Although she may well be pedalling by then...

Would you mind posting some geometry figures?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So I haven't had as much time on this as I had hoped but finally managed to get it all tacked together. Hopefully I will braze it up this evening at some point.

#1 - Balance bike-20140125_133349.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I finally managed to find a spare couple of hours to braze the frame up. Did a few practice lines and got on with it. Over all I am really pleased, I weighed it and the frame comes in at 790g. Made of 0.8 - 1mm tubing, Pretty sure I could get it down to 500grams lol.

Next step is building some custom forks and handlebars as the ones I used to take the photo above are just from a cheap alloy bike. Re making the fork and handlebars will be good practice for my next project.

Practice:
    #1 - Balance bike-20140127_175319.jpg
    Headtube:
    #1 - Balance bike-20140127_175551.jpg
    Done:
    #1 - Balance bike-20140127_175617.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #1 - Balance bike-20140127_175551.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looks good! This seems like a great first frame for practicing, since you don't have to worry about drivetrain and brakes!