mtbr member
    Jul 2008

07 Jamis Komodo 7005 Aluminum, need clearance for inner bashring, can i "dent" it???

I have a 2007 Jamis Komodo that I am converting to a 1x8 setup. I bought a blackspire blackguard inner bashring to sandwhich the chain on. it is rubbing against the frame. i feel like if i can "dent" in the frame about 1/8" it will be fine. the frame is 7005 Aluminum, is this do-able?

here is the area where i need the clearance...this is another persons jamis but pretty same blackspire part.

Bike Dork
    You could also space your crank a bit maybe. This would be a easier and better option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/index.html

Or use one of those instead.

Bike Dork
    Uh, that won't help if your ring, or bashguard in this case, is rubbing the chainstay. Those things only help if you're chain gets derailed to the inside, which has nothing to do with this problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Uh, that won't help if your ring, or bashguard in this case, is rubbing the chainstay. Those things only help if you're chain gets derailed to the inside, which has nothing to do with this problem.
    He is using the inner bashring to stop the chain falling off on the inside, the outer bashring would take the hits. If the inner bashring is removed, it is no longer rubbing the chainstay and its function can be filled by the jumpstop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    id like to keep this blackguard part...ive heard great reviews about it and that it makes it virtually impossible for the chain to fall off, where the n gear sometimes doesnt work...

but ive been calling around to bike shops and no one seems to have a BB wider than the 113mm that is already on my bike.

im not sure what i do modify on the blackguard piece to make it fit either, and id rather give the n-gear piece a shot than to modify my frame since that seems to be a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You should be able to find a BB wider than 113 on the internet, i think *-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    will switching to a 118mm BB setup ruin my chainline at all, especially now that i am only running a 1x8 setup? It will only be 2.5mm wider on each side, I still don't know if that will give the blackguard piece enough clearance from the chainstay. Also, will it be noticably different while riding or will I not even notice the extra 5mm? ive been thinking about a new cranket since the stock alphadrive ones are getting creaky...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    don't know what kind of BB you have, but most likely you can just put a 2mm shim on the drive side, (between the BB and BB shell) that would atleast let you know if 2mm is enough, and you could ride it that way till you got a new bottom bracket, or just leave it that way,
    if 2mm isn't enough use shims to see how much it will need to be, shims are cheaper than buying a new bottom bracket that may not be right.

mtbr member
    Is it even rubbing? If you can stand on it and flex the frame and close that gap, maybe a fix is warranted. But maybe not too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr
    Is it even rubbing? If you can stand on it and flex the frame and close that gap, maybe a fix is warranted. But maybe not too.
    yes it rubs...i dont even have the crank tightened down all the way and its already rubbing.

as far as the "denting" the frame solution goes...i dont think standing on it to bend the hole chainstay back is a good idea. i was thinking more of having some sort of way to carefully hammer in a notch or something into the part of the chainstay that needs the clearance.

i really want to run this part so im hoping maybe moving from a 113mm bb to 118mm will work. just want to make sure it wont make a huge difference while riding, or throw my chainline off as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyortom
    i dont think standing on it to bend the hole chainstay back is a good idea.
    This isn't remotely close to what I was suggesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr
    The picture is not his jamis.

here is the area where i need the clearance...this is another persons jamis but pretty same blackspire part.