mtbr member
    Mar 2008

What size wrench to remove FXR rear thru axle?

I'm wondering if anyone knows the wrench size for the rear thru axle on a 2010 FXR. I can use an adjustable wrench and not worry about the exact size but I'm looking to get a wrench like this...

Park HCW-16 Chain whip/15mm Pedal Wrench > Accessories > Tools > Wrenches | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

so that I can bring a lightweight wrench with me on my ride in case I need to take the rear wheel off. I know that that pic is of a wrench for pedals but I'm looking to see if I can find one that's bigger for the rear axle.

I find that these ones can be a bit heavy..

Park Tool Mw-Set Metric Wrench Set > Accessories > Tools > Wrenches | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Measure it!!! Or maybe you can buy the newer axles which accept an 8mm allen...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks! I'm so stupid.. I don't even know why I didn't think of that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    jon777

it's 19mm ...BUT you can actually get a very nice Foes wrench just for the job

Foes Racing Bottle Opener with Axle Wrench

the bottle opener is rubbish (!) but the wrench is a perfect, snug fit over the bolt. And is just a nice tool. Light too, and not too big for the trail pack. (Pedal wrenches are usually designed pretty long - for leverage needed on attaching/removing pedals)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonbrowne View Post
    jon777

it's 19mm ...BUT you can actually get a very nice Foes wrench just for the job

Foes Racing Bottle Opener with Axle Wrench

the bottle opener is rubbish (!) but the wrench is a perfect, snug fit over the bolt. And is just a nice tool. Light too, and not too big for the trail pack. (Pedal wrenches are usually designed pretty long - for leverage needed on attaching/removing pedals)
    Cool! Thanks! Now I'm not so sorry that I posted a stupid question. I actually emailed Foes and they told me it's 19mm. But I didn't know that they had a bottle opener/wrench..

EDIT: Just found out that it costs about $25 + $20 to ship to Canada. That sucks I think I'm gonna stick to my $2 mini adjustable wrench I got from Walmart. It's not as nice as the Foes but I can't pay $45 for a wrench.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    $20 to ship from Us to Canada?? That's extortionate!

TBH, I have no idea why they even make an axle with 19mm end. I can think of no reason why the 8mm Allen key fixing that almost all axles use wouldn't be just fine...