mtbr member

A very noob here.... just got a FOES

Well, just purchased a 2004 FXR Mountain X frame to replace my recently cracked frame from my dinosaur (2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 2+). The Foes frame is a small, I am 5-9"... should this size be OK, I am not by any means an aggressive rider... I am 40 and ridding on Saturdays only... any suggestions, trick, "should know" advises, comments prior to starting to swap all my components from the Fisher? Thanks in advance. Pics to come
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    IMHO I think an '04 small would be just that, small. But your riding style and build just might be suited for that size. Build it and ride it. And no post is worth anything without pics...

mtbr member
    Thanks! I get you point on the size, and yes size does matter... I will post pics of the frame once I receive it, the pics the seller provided are not very good... I hope it fits
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member

It might be adaptable

If I recall correctly the old FXR had an unusually slack seat tube, this means your hight may allow enough extension of the seatpost in combonation with the proper length stem it might work with your riding style.
    You can check the Foes site archives; some of the catalogs are available back to 03.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Very slack seat tube. 65 degrees
    2003-2005 FXR manual

mtbr member
    slowrider, thanks!, need to look for that info
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member
    I'm 5"10" and I have a large size 2003 FXR and a lg '07 Fly. I like the fit of the large, but for your style, you may like the small....
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    What are we looking at, size, between a small and medium (which is recommended for me), I am also 5-9
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member
    the frame comes with the curnutt XTD but it has the 300 to 350 spring weight... where can I procure a 450-500 spring weight? I looked online without any luck
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member

Foes

Unless you want to wait for a used deal.

mtbr member
    Been in contact with FOES in Pasadena CA (nice people and quick reply), they states that I would need to be bring it and they would replace the coil... bare in mind that they do not have titanium coil for your spring rate and will need to use a steel coil for now.
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, are there any other rear shocks that can be used on this frame (with or without adapters)... looking at all my options (costs)
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member

Fox

I've seen them with Fox air shocks. I don't know the size however, or if it requires an adaptor of some kind like the current setup.

mtbr member
    The build went rather well, one main issue we had with the front derailleur... because of the weld on the frame we couldn't raise it enough to clear... we will have a second crack at it this Wednesday with a new derailleur... here is a taste of what she looks like....

67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    heres some info on the front der,...theyre my own findings ,....

i was looking to get an shimano m 961 front derailleur but (and i dont know if it's critical ,.....) but the m961 is compatible with a 66-69 degree chainstay,.....and the 03'/04' foes fxr has a 65 degree chainstay angle,....i wonder if that 1 degree of difference would hinder the performance of the shifting??
    if so the m773 would be one of the only options since it supports the chainstay angles and is bottom swing,.....
    some of the top swing f/d ive seen are compatible ,...but i want to stick with what the manual says the fxr should have ,...