Thread: Totem on FXR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Totem on FXR?

I currently have a Fox Float 36 RC2 on my 2009 FXR. Thinking about getting a Rock Shox Totem Solo Air. Anyone try this combo? Feeback welcome.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike
    I currently have a Fox Float 36 RC2 on my 2009 FXR. Thinking about getting a Rock Shox Totem Solo Air. Anyone try this combo? Feeback welcome.
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing! I just put a DHX coil over on my FXR and with 7" up front, the bike should be highly capable.

I'm working on my next whistler trip and would like to bring just one bike.

FXR with Totem could be the real deal, yo!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    I'm not sure if this relates to all the Totems, or just the first batch or whatever, but plenty have dodgy seals. Personally, I'll never forgive RS for the Judy-type forks back in the 90's, which were extremely dangerous junk products.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

little diff

I have on 06 fly, I know it is not a FXR but the knobs on top of the fork would hit the frame. It would still be nice to know if it would work because I am looking for a new bike as well! How do you guys like your FXRs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2009 Totem Solo Air Fits

My frame is an 2009 FXR medium. I received and installed my new (used) 2009 Totem Solo Air. With the Flood Gate enabled (knob in up position) there is about 1mm of clearance. Hope to get it out for a ride in the next few days…

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Blyth
    How do you guys like your FXRs?
    I like my 06 FXR very much. It climbs like a demon, and feels very solid and stable as it rails back down the hill, though it is a rough ride with the Curnutt. I know you have a Fly, but if you're used to complicated suspension systems and want a really smooth ride you'd probably be shocked by the Curnutt's harshness. Still, it does perform where it's needed, and takes big hits well while providing an excellent stable platform for climbing. The FXR climbs better and feels faster descending than my Heckler, a bike is famed for it's AM credentials.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy
    I like my 06 FXR very much. It climbs like a demon, and feels very solid and stable as it rails back down the hill, though it is a rough ride with the Curnutt. I know you have a Fly, but if you're used to complicated suspension systems and want a really smooth ride you'd probably be shocked by the Curnutt's harshness. Still, it does perform where it's needed, and takes big hits well while providing an excellent stable platform for climbing. The FXR climbs better and feels faster descending than my Heckler, a bike is famed for it's AM credentials.
    Do you have the air or the coil shock on your bike?

Specialized sucks dong

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Do you have the air or the coil shock on your bike?
    I have the Curnutt coil with 400lbs Ti Spring. I'm oldschool, and a clyde, coil suits me much better. I've heard (through these very forums) that the Curnutt Air is a great performer, but I'll always go coil regardless. As for the Curnutt, it's something of an acquired taste. It's bigger and tougher than any other shock out there, requires less servicing, and is relatively easy to dial-in. Just don't expect it to negate lil pebbles an' sh!t, 'cause that's not what it's about. It likes to hit the big stuff, the bigger the better, and the faster you go the smoother the ride, which is probably what they mean by 'racing shock'.

Look, I highly recommend the FXR, it's a fantastic trail beast, and I mean BEAST! It's another case of classic Foes simplicity coupled with overenginered burliness; it just looks hardcore. Other riders openly gawk at my FXR, they merely appreciated the Heckler.

As for forks, something with 6" travel and a 20mm thru-axle. I rock 08 55 ETA's, which have seen plenty of abuse over the last 2 years and won't require any type of servicing anytime soon. I really like Zocchi's ETA travel adjust, I always use it on the climb. Had 36 Talas on the Heckler and wouldn't recommend them, though I had the early 06 version, which have been much improved upon, so they say. You want a fork with one leg air, for adjustment, and one coi/oil, for performance. This design is best for AM riding imho.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 02-20-2010 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice!! Let us know how it is!! Do you know your head < with the totem?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy
    I have the Curnutt coil with 400lbs Ti Spring. I'm oldschool, and a clyde, coil suits me much better. I've heard (through these very forums) that the Curnutt Air is a great performer, but I'll always go coil regardless. As for the Curnutt, it's something of an acquired taste. It's bigger and tougher than any other shock out there, requires less servicing, and is relatively easy to dial-in. Just don't expect it to negate lil pebbles an' sh!t, 'cause that's not what it's about. It likes to hit the big stuff, the bigger the better, and the faster you go the smoother the ride, which is probably what they mean by 'racing shock'.

Look, I highly recommend the FXR, it's a fantastic trail beast, and I mean BEAST! It's another case of classic Foes simplicity coupled with overenginered burliness; it just looks hardcore. Other riders openly gawk at my FXR, they merely appreciated the Heckler.

As for forks, something with 6" travel and a 20mm thru-axle. I rock 08 55 ETA's, which have seen plenty of abuse over the last 2 years and won't require any type of servicing anytime soon. I really like Zocchi's ETA travel adjust, I always use it on the climb. Had 36 Talas on the Heckler and wouldn't recommend them, though I had the early 06 version, which have been much improved upon, so they say. You want a fork with one leg air, for adjustment, and one coi/oil, for performance. This design is best for AM riding imho.
    I'm with you on all that. I have the Curnutt air, but wanted a coil over for those times when DH is more important.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blyth
    Very nice!! Let us know how it is!! Do you know your head < with the totem?
    I think it is about 1 degree slacker. I do not have the proper equipment to measure, though. The Totem raised the HT 20mm from where it was with the Fox 36.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How much does your bike weight? Any pics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

33 lbs.

It is exactly 33 lbs. with the Totem. Here are some pics of the bike and the clearance of the knobs. It does not rub, but could not be a tighter fit with the Flood gate enabled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Totem on FXR?-p2220003.jpg  

Totem on FXR?-p2220004.jpg  

Totem on FXR?-p2220007.jpg  

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike
    It is exactly 33 lbs. with the Totem. Here are some pics of the bike and the clearance of the knobs. It does not rub, but could not be a tighter fit with the Flood gate enabled.
    That looks awesome. That's a 7" travel fork, right?

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That looks awesome. That's a 7" travel fork, right?
    Correct. 180mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That looks great!! Looks like alot of fun!! How is the Air shock? The bike looks like it rips just sitting there!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Finally got a chance to ride the bike with the Totem installed. Very slightly slower steering because of 20mm longer fork. I actually like the feel better than with the Fox 36. So far so good...

The rear shock is good. I sent it down to Foes last summer because it was leaking air. I asked them to reduce the platform a little. It was a noticeable difference. I am happy with it. It climbs great and rips on the downhill.
    Last edited by MudBike; 03-14-2010 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Keep us posted on how it is! Just might be what I need!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So far, so good. The Totem is a great upgrade for the FXR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Do the curnutt and the totem seem to work well with each other? Super smooth?

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing! I just put a DHX coil over on my FXR and with 7" up front, the bike should be highly capable.

I'm working on my next whistler trip and would like to bring just one bike.

FXR with Totem could be the real deal, yo!
    How is the shock mounted? How does the DHX handle bottom outs? Tuning range good?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    How is the shock mounted? How does the DHX handle bottom outs? Tuning range good?
    I had a mount made - you can see my other thread in the foes forum. The shock works great. Lots of tunability with the bottom out and compression - so this is no issue. I am considering going softer with the spring - but overall it's a good ride.

Specialized sucks dong