mtbr member

Test rode an FXR !!

I'm a believer.
    I went out to the Demo at Cooks Corner yesterday and rode a med FXR. Brent helped me with the air pressure setups. Its a bit different than other shocks. It would be easy to confuse which schraeder valve functions as platforn and which functions as spring rate. Make sure you read the directions or get someone that really knows to help out with this. The beginning of the ride is a 6 mile climb up asphalt then dirt road. Looking down at the shock while seated there was no perceptible movement in the shock. I was amazed at how nice this thing climbed while seated. Very efficient for any bike but this thing has 6.5 ", too cool.
    The area that I was most disappointed in was while climbing out of the saddle. Trying to relieve some of the fatigue in my legs I stood and things kind of fell apart. To be fair some of this was due to the Fox RC2 on the front end. It was a pogo stick. I'm not real familiar with the set up on these and that was probably the problem. But the back end wasn't too much better. If I had brought my shock pump, I would have put some more air in the platform chamber. This could very well have fixed the problem. At what expense to small bumb stuff I don't know.
    At the top of the climb I was able to take a break, look over the bike, and enjoy our beautiful weather in SoCal between storms. Now was the time to see if the 6.5" of travel would pay off. Although there were no real drop or jumps of any size, there was a lot of chatter and some drops of 1-2'. This thing absolutely tore it up. 1st time on the bike, 1st time on the trail and my confidence was stupid. It felt so nice and smooth. It's cliche but, I looked for the nastiest line to test the bike and myself. A+ on this test, at least for the bike. And I get a most improved award. The handling was spot on, and it tracked true.
    I'm gonna try to get another demo, since the shop is right around the corner. I will play with the platform pressure. But, honestly, even if I couldn't get it to climb out of the saddle better, I wouldn't be that disappointed. It was that good in both seated climbing and descending.
    Thanks for listening.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    right on man! Try to hit up some doubles and 4-8 foot drops and see how it performs. I'm currently in a toss up between a fly and an fxr. good review, honest and legit.