mtbr member

... and if we just ... Santa is coming early or late....

Going to add a Shaver along side my FXR. Anyone know if I can take my older QR Mavic Crossmax SL's now called the SX iirc and convert them to the 142 12mm through axle? This new stanndard is costly for new wheelsets... I'm trying to save money and rebuilding my current wheel set if possible would be great. I'm also debating the front shock length....I vowed never to spend $$$ on a TALAS again since I never adjusted it from the 5" travel. But, since I will use this at Mammoth and N* it got me thinking should I get an adjustable shock again. I'd get the 160mm and then crank it down to 150 or even 140 for local xc riding which is most of what I do.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Going to add a Shaver along side my FXR. Anyone know if I can take my older QR Mavic Crossmax SL's now called the SX iirc and convert them to the 142 12mm through axle? This new stanndard is costly for new wheelsets... I'm trying to save money and rebuilding my current wheel set if possible would be great. I'm also debating the front shock length....I vowed never to spend $$$ on a TALAS again since I never adjusted it from the 5" travel. But, since I will use this at Mammoth and N* it got me thinking should I get an adjustable shock again. I'd get the 160mm and then crank it down to 150 or even 140 for local xc riding which is most of what I do.

I'd go some Zocchi's personally, at least they're smooth and reliable. In my experience, Fox require too much servicing/maintanence and are more of a status thing, and both Rockshox and Manitou are too unreliable, don't hold up to relentless bashing (it's just the way i roll). They have a habit of falling apart, sometimes at the most inopportune moment, causing hospitalisation. Had the original brown 36 Talas (06 I think) and wasn't that impressed with 'em. The travel adjust mechanism was a hassle, especially compared to the super convenient switch on the Zocchi AM2's they replaced, and the travel was very stiff. Also very hard to dial-in, endless f*&king around trying to get the sweet spot.

I like the look of the 55 CR SWITCH TA / 2012, though I haven't read any reviews. All black forks on a black Shaver, full stealth bike. Do the SL's have a 20mm front wheel? If not, it's worth getting anyway. Kinda interesting to see the 55 is now a freeride fork, whereas the 08 55 ETA's on my FXR are definately classed as AM. I see the 44 line is now the appointed AM fork... it's all marketing anyway, wouldn't take much notice. If the 55 is phatter and stiffer i'd get them, they're pretty close to an even balance with the rear, an extra inch would be handy for DH. With travel adjust you're definately not gonna feel raked-out climbing. I ride XC/AM and I'm hooked on travel adjust, wouldn't get a fork without it after having it on my last three bikes; AM2 on a Heckler, 36 Talas on Heckler, then Bullit (replaced super heavy 02 Monster T's, actually much better forks), 55 ETA on 06 FXR 2:1 (early 5" version).

As you can see I'm also a huge fan of single pivot, and the Shaver excites me too; nothing takes the big hits better than a solidly built single pivot, and no-one builds them better than Foes.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 04-13-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    I'm going to Sea Otter to check out forks amongst other parts. I'm hoping that Mavic can help me convert my wheel sets.