Thread: Project DHX

Crazed Country Rebel

Project DHX

I am having a shock mount made so I can run standard shocks and see how they compare.

The mount should be done tomorrow.

Here is a progress report.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project DHX-foes-dhx.jpg  

Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would like to have one for my inferno.Any chance of that?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    I would like to have one for my inferno.Any chance of that?
    Hey MX. This is a one off that I am having a machine shop do for me.

You can do the same - just buy a new shock with the appropriate stroke and bring the bike and shock to your local machine shope!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member

I like it

Do you know how much length your adaptor adds?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Do you know how much length your adaptor adds?
    The eye to eye on my 2009 is12.5" - so this adaptor will take up 3", allowing for a 9.5"x3" shock.

The 2006/2007 models had an 11.5" eye to eye - so you'd need a 2" adaptor.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Hey MX. This is a one off that I am having a machine shop do for me.

You can do the same - just buy a new shock with the appropriate stroke and bring the bike and shock to your local machine shope!
    I just need to find a machine shop i trust in my area.Looking forward to your finished product and ride report.

mtbr member
    Did you see the modded Nomad on the SC forum? There was a machined adapter
    made to run the bigger shock so the bikes would get 8" travel.
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    Did you see the modded Nomad on the SC forum? There was a machined adapter
    made to run the bigger shock so the bikes would get 8" travel.
    Update - just picked it up from the machine shop. The bolts are still long and need to be cut down - but the mount looks good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project DHX-foes-mount.jpg  

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member

Looks great

Wont work for my FXR, not enough mounting holes in an 07. Might work for my 03 Fly though. Thanks for the pic and the insperation.
    Update - just picked it up from the machine shop. The bolts are still long and need to be cut down - but the mount looks good!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Wont work for my FXR, not enough mounting holes in an 07. Might work for my 03 Fly though. Thanks for the pic and the insperation.
    More than one way to skin the cat!

The only reason for multiple bolts is to keep the mount from twisting. 3 bolts is really overkill.

You could drill a whole in yours to accept the second bolt - or you could machine a "shoulder" to hold the mount in place and keep it from twisting.

Check out the pictures pumkinbiter posted in the "show us your foes" thread. He has a 2006 FXR with home made mount. I hear he even has extra's!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member

Thanks

I think I traded a few emails with him about his adaptors but with only 1 bolt I thought it might stress the frame if it weren't absolutly perfect.
    More than one way to skin the cat!

The only reason for multiple bolts is to keep the mount from twisting. 3 bolts is really overkill.

You could drill a whole in yours to accept the second bolt - or you could machine a "shoulder" to hold the mount in place and keep it from twisting.

Check out the pictures pumkinbiter posted in the "show us your foes" thread. He has a 2006 FXR with home made mount. I hear he even has extra's!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Any update ?

Very interesting proyect !!!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by DrF035
    Any update ?

Very interesting proyect !!!
    Thanks. I finished the install and got one ride in on Saturday - but am ording a couple new springs to try out different weights. I wasn't able to get enough sag and suspension activity out of the 350 and therefore can't give a real good review right now.

Currently the shock has a 350 pound spring - on a 2:1 leverage ratio bike you need really soft springs. So I ordered a 300 and 250 on Monday and am waiting for them to show up.

Will post an update soon as possible. Thanks!

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Thanks. I finished the install and got one ride in on Saturday - but am ording a couple new springs to try out different weights. I wasn't able to get enough sag and suspension activity out of the 350 and therefore can't give a real good review right now.

Currently the shock has a 350 pound spring - on a 2:1 leverage ratio bike you need really soft springs. So I ordered a 300 and 250 on Monday and am waiting for them to show up.

Will post an update soon as possible. Thanks!
    Update. I got the new springs from Fox the other day and fitted the bike with the 250 pound one last night.

Fox screwed up and sent me 250x3.7" instead of 250x3.25", same for the 350.

I installed the 250 and it went on fine - even being 1/2" longer than expected.

based on the lighter spring rate and longer spring - I immediately turned the bottom out adjustment all the way up and increased the IFP chamber pressure from 125 to 160.

Added a couple turns of preload and a couple turns of Propedal and had a good ride.

Climbing is still fairly ok with this setup and the Propedal is fairly effective. Not sure where I am going to run the shock, with regard to Propedal. Towards the end of the ride I seemed to have found a happy medium setting - but still not sure.

On downhills the bike feels a little more playful - I was getting a lot more "pop" off of jumps than with the Curnutt.

The coil shock seems to use more of its available travel, more easily - meaning the bike is reeeeal squishy. But that's the whole point of this set up - more freeride/DH oriented - while the Curnutt air shock will serve for more XC stuff.

Overall, I don't have a strong opinion about which shock is "better" - only that the coil spring is more active on small bumps and jumps - but the Curnutt feels very stable at speed.

I guess I need to ride it some more!

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Update. I got the new springs from Fox the other day and fitted the bike with the 250 pound one last night.

Fox screwed up and sent me 250x3.7" instead of 250x3.25", same for the 350.

I installed the 250 and it went on fine - even being 1/2" longer than expected.

based on the lighter spring rate and longer spring - I immediately turned the bottom out adjustment all the way up and increased the IFP chamber pressure from 125 to 160.

Added a couple turns of preload and a couple turns of Propedal and had a good ride.

Climbing is still fairly ok with this setup and the Propedal is fairly effective. Not sure where I am going to run the shock, with regard to Propedal. Towards the end of the ride I seemed to have found a happy medium setting - but still not sure.

On downhills the bike feels a little more playful - I was getting a lot more "pop" off of jumps than with the Curnutt.

The coil shock seems to use more of its available travel, more easily - meaning the bike is reeeeal squishy. But that's the whole point of this set up - more freeride/DH oriented - while the Curnutt air shock will serve for more XC stuff.

Overall, I don't have a strong opinion about which shock is "better" - only that the coil spring is more active on small bumps and jumps - but the Curnutt feels very stable at speed.

I guess I need to ride it some more!
    Update - I've gotten in a few more rides on the FXR and am really happy with the outcome.

Yesterday we did 25 miles in Marin, CA with 3,500' in climbing and lots of awesome downhills. If you know the Tamarancho/Pine Mountain area - then you (might) know what I'm talking about.

On the climb through Tamarancho I left the DHX Propedal setting at about 2.5 turns in. The bike climbed very well through the goop and over the roots (It's been raining for ages, here) - but didn't bob much at all.

Once we got to the fireroad climb up into Pine Mountain, I turned the Propedal up another turn. The bike still climbs great. We hit some of the hidden gems that are steep and gnarly. I opened up the Propedal for these - and the bike just came alive. It rips!

After Pine Mountain, we rode Sir Francis Drake over to Gun Shot and up, then down Solstice.

Gun shot is a 1,000' elevation gain in about 1.5 miles. It's an absolute grunt. I turned the Propedal all the way up and left it in my middle ring. Ten crank turns standing, ten seated. Repeat. This hurts.

Solstice is approx 2 mile DH that is all rocks, boulders, roots and drops. Definitely one of the best Marin has to offer.

I think this is the fastest I've ever ridden Solstice trail - the bike sits better in its travel and is more active.

The DHX isn't the only change I've made that affected the FXR's handling. Recently I converted my Talas 36 to a Float - which also really helps. The Float conversation make the fork way more active and plush as well.

This bike is just ripping right now!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Interesting stuff., we're always made to think that the Curnutt is streets ahead of anything else but it doesn't seem so from what you've said!

What's the difference in weight between the air curnutt and FOX DHX?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by danchapman
    Interesting stuff., we're always made to think that the Curnutt is streets ahead of anything else but it doesn't seem so from what you've said!

What's the difference in weight between the air curnutt and FOX DHX?
    They are totally different shocks. I'll probably put the Curnutt back on to test it out again.

From my experience the Fox is better at small bumps and chatter. The Curnutt is more stable at speed and pedals better.

Also - the Curnutt matches the compression rate of the frame. The frames are built to match to spring rate of the Curnutt. It's hard to match this with the DHX air. (ability to dial in sag, compression stroke and bottom out resistance).

It would probably be easier to match the progression with the DHX air, though. I would strongly consider that as an option.

Specialized sucks dong