Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

New Shaver 29 build spec

Waiting on delivery of new Shaver 29 frame from Foes. Just ordered last week. This is my first Foes, so really excited. Always wanted a Foes, however, gravitated toward Ventana and Turner Bikes in the past , so really pumped up about putting this together and getting it on the trails. I will be building it up myself this winter (Here in New York, my Ventana rigid singlespeed is my winter trail conditions go to bike). Anyway, just picked up a new RS Pike RCT3 140mm fork with tapered headtube. Now looking into headset. Any one running a CK Inset ?

Just curious as it seems that Cane Creek seems to be the headset of choice for this frame, at least from what I can tell through internet research. Wondering if there is any specific reason for one over the other. I have used both brands in the past and have had good experiences. All where older 1/1/8 HT's. So,never had experience with a ZS/EC set up.

Any opinions or insights appreciated.

mtbr member
    Awesome...you should be excited. Foes craftsmanship is second to none.

I have an XCT5 with the Curnutt shock and performance is stellar. I haven't ridden a Foes with the latest suspension design and I'm interested in the Shaver 29er as well so I'll be very interested to get your thoughts on the bike when you get it built and have some trail time. I just started a thread actually looking for some rider feedback.

I don't have any experience with inset H/S, sorry I can't give you any suggestions.

Post up some pics when you get the frame. BTW what size frame and what shock are you running on the frame?

mtbr member

The Shaver 29 is a beast

I test rode the Shaver 29 for a few days last year and I've never ridden a bike with this level of travel that was as stable and unstoppable is the Shaver 29; much more so than mt Tracer 29. Not as snappy as the Tracer but a far better DH and chunk style bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgill32 View Post
    Awesome...you should be excited. Foes craftsmanship is second to none.

I have an XCT5 with the Curnutt shock and performance is stellar. I haven't ridden a Foes with the latest suspension design and I'm interested in the Shaver 29er as well so I'll be very interested to get your thoughts on the bike when you get it built and have some trail time. I just started a thread actually looking for some rider feedback.

I don't have any experience with inset H/S, sorry I can't give you any suggestions.

Post up some pics when you get the frame. BTW what size frame and what shock are you running on the frame?

mtbr member
    @slowrider...Appreciate your feedback. I fished through some old threads and saw you demoed one but didn't see any of your opinions on the bike. And you mentioned that the size you had to demo was too big for your height. That might of had something to do with it being less snappy than the Tracer maybe? What size did you demo and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the replies. Still waiting on delivery. Dan at Foes advised that my frame should be back from paint shortly and ready for shipping soon after.Have always admired Foes frames so really excited about getting it built up and out on the trail. This will be a rare bike here in NY. Decided on a Cane Creek 110 ZS/EC HS. I have been told by a few freinds and LBS that the CK tapered Inset HS has been known to loosen up. I have always had great experience with CK headsets, however, heeding toward caution with the Cane Creek. Actually, it appears as nice if not nicer than the CK. Also, going with American Classic Wide Lightning 29er wheeset, complete Sram XX1 11 spd drive train, Hopetech Race Evo E4 disc brakeset and Thomson dropper post. Will post picks and review once I have the frame built up. Medium size frame - and went with the Fox CTD trail adjust. Was thinking about the CCDB inline, as Foes offers it as an option, however, went with the Fox. I ran a CCDB on a Turner Highline frame a few years back. Really liked it, however, the DB was tough to get dialed in and it is quite expensive. Also, hear that the Shaver 29 works really well with the Fox. So , keeping it simple - and a little lighter for whatever its worth.

ta

mtbr member

cool bike

I felt it didn't climb as well as my tracer but it ran over everything and I felt like it was on rails in the corners compared to my tracer.
    @slowrider...Appreciate your feedback. I fished through some old threads and saw you demoed one but didn't see any of your opinions on the bike. And you mentioned that the size you had to demo was too big for your height. That might of had something to do with it being less snappy than the Tracer maybe? What size did you demo and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    @ta...Some nice component choices. I'm just under 6' & thinking a medium size would be the right fit for me as well. Interesting that the Fox CTD works well with the frame. I'd like to talk with Foes about BOS Vip'R 2.1 compatibility. Just from what I've read seems like it'd be an ideal shock with the Foes progressive linkage system.

Have fun building her up, really looking forward to seeing the final build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the replies. Just received frame and unboxed it last night. Wow! In my opinion , really amazing build quality!!!! Makes other brands look toy-ish . Will post picture shortly. Waiting on balance of parts to get build going. Feels fairly light considering how stout/beefy the frame is. Will get weight on the frame as well.

T

mtbr member
    How's the build going? Looking fwd to seeing some pics

mtbr member

New Shaver 29 build spec

@ta...Some nice component choices. I'm just under 6' & thinking a medium size would be the right fit for me as well. Interesting that the Fox CTD works well with the frame. I'd like to talk with Foes about BOS Vip'R 2.1 compatibility. Just from what I've read seems like it'd be an ideal shock with the Foes progressive linkage system.

Have fun building her up, really looking forward to seeing the final build.
    I have a shaver 29er and in no much time will buy a bos, have one in my turner sultan and loves how it works..m

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Have not started build yet. Been skiing pretty much every weekend/chance I get over last couple of weeks. Snow here in the northeast has been incredible. No mtb going on with all the deep snowpack on our trails and crazy cold temps. Anyway, will start focusing on the build up end of the month . Will post pics of frame as soon as I have a chance . Have all parts in at this point so just need to get to it.

mtbr member
    @ jallll...Did you just pick up a shaver 29er? Or do you have time on her already? If so what'r your thoughts on performance? Nice to hear you're getting a BOS rear shock, will be very interested to find out how it performs on the shaver. Are you getting it tuned at Foes?

mtbr member
    @ta...Yeah weather in the NE has been pretty crazy, at least you're taking advantage of it.

No rush, just curious. I'm just interested to see how the final build turns out, and even more interested in what you think about the handling/performance of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just hung up skis for the season and finally built up the frame. Pics attached. Sorry, I am a terrible photographer.

Frame weight with shock was 6.9 lbs on hanging digital scale at the shop and complete built up weight came in at 29.1 lbs including Crank Bros Mallet pedals and MRP chain guide and Thomson Covert Dropper ! Really psyched to get on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Shaver 29 build spec-20150418_100642.jpg  

New Shaver 29 build spec-20150418_100420.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    sgill32 -First ride this past weekend. Out for 3 and half hours so able to get a good feel for the frame. In three words - Asolutely Incredibly Impressed !!!!!. In many words ... First half our got things dialed in. Felt comfortable on the bike within minutes. Medium frame geometry and size is spot on for me (5"-9" -175lbs - medium build ). If I had a custom spec frame fabricated for myself ,this would be it. In my opinion, climbs, rails, descends exceptionally well - incredibly well! Suspension quality is excellent. I prefer the 5.5 inch travel setting over the 5. Works really nice with the Pike RCt3 140. Just feels more natural and seemless at 5.5. I would categorize the overall ride quality as " extremely buttery". I am absolutely blown away at how effective and efficient I found the Foes single pivot suspension. Didnt know what to expect and was a little concerned about the somewhat "old school" design. However, I found it outstanding whether I was climbing , descending, dropping, braking , cruising along or hauling - over anything!! Had the Fox CTD in Trail mode just about the entire ride. No need for any climb mode/lockout at all. I have ridden on several other single pivots, Horst Links, DW Links, Trek ABP and Faux Bars ; In my opinion , after riding the Foes design, hard to see the point of the other designs complexities. Seriously, I found myself crackig up and smiling in amazement during my ride on several occasions when I realized hown efficient and effective the suspension was behaving. I generally ride very technical single track here in the NE (rocks/roots/logs/rock faces,rock gardens,etc.) and this frame made me feel like a hero on everything. As far as build quality, really really nice! Looks and feels like it will last for ever.

mtbr member
    Wow...nice build, looks awesome...29#'s is excellent

Can't wait to get your ride report after you get some good trail time on it...enjoy!

^^^
    I must have posted this just seconds after your post. Sounds like the way I feel when I'm riding my XCT5. Man I want a Shaver more than ever now. I haven't had any time on the their latest suspension design but sounds as though they retained a lot of the ride qualities from the previous design using the Curnutt shock except it sounds like it's more plush. So I really appreciate your ride report! And welcome to the wonderful world of Foes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks . Yeah, I am a big fan of 29ers. And now a huge fan of Foes!! Have been riding 29ers for over 5 years now and in my opinion the Shaver 29 is exceptional ; particularly when considering its travel and bullet proof any terrain you want design and construction. No crazy,noisy,flexy bearing/linkage clusters or carbon to worry about. Just a solid stout frame with a simple but impeccable suspension. Done!

Have had my eye on Foes for years and now wish that I jumped on board sooner. Anyway, happy to have one now. I cannot wait to get back out on it. Will keep the ride reports updated.

mtbr member
    At last it doesn,t was a bos.. cane creek double barrel air...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Jalll - I initially thought about the CC DB in line when I ordered the frame. Actually initially ordered it with the DB inline as Foes was just starting to offer the shock with the frame. But then changed my mind and decided to go with the Fox CTD as I couldn't find any reviews / opinions regarding the Shaver 29 frame and the DB. Everything I read and conversations that I had with folks at Foes were positive regarding the frame with the Fox. Anyway,my initial impressions have been great with the Fox, so will stick with it for the time being. I had a CC Double Barrel on a Turner High Line many years ago 2004 or so. I really really liked it once dialed in. It replaced a Fox coil over with external resevoir at the time. So the DB was night and day better compared to that Fox.

Did you build your frame initially with the DB or make a switch from the Fox CTD ? How do you like the DB in comparison to Fox?

mtbr member
    I start with the ctd, and it, s a great shock for the shaver, only have made two routes with the ccdb and feels better... how much? With more kms i will tell you

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Look forward to your long term thoughts about the CC. The BOS seems to be unreasonably expensive.I wonder how much better can it really be as compared to the Fox CTD and CCDB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Shaver 29 Ride Experiences

Since there is not a lot of info or reviews on this frame, thought I would periodically uodate my ride experiences with the frame for whoever might be interested: I now have over half dozen rides or so on this bike and it continues to impress.Iinitial positive impressions continue and I am now confident that they weren't just new bike euphoria that sometimes fades with time. As I have spent more and more time on the bike, I am noticing several subtle dynamics coming through. The most notable is how well balanced this frame design feels to me. For a big 29er, it requires very little body movement,weight distribution shifts or input to remain stable and maintain a given line regardless of the terrain type or grade whether climbing or decending. While climbing, the front end stays solidly planted no matter how steep the pitch. No exagerated forward weight shifts needed, no upper torso forward leaning and bent elbow / wrist stuff needed to keep the front down and on line. At all times rear traction is there clawing away at everything. Also, the rear end tracks over everything seemlessly. I find same going down. For me no drastic movements needed. A subtle shift of body weight to the rear is all that is needed for me on even the steepest stuff. The suspension is outstanding on rough and rocky descents. To me, the frame has a very natural and balanced center of gravity /sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Really enjoying your perspectives on this frame...keep'em coming...more pics would be great too

Chainstay length on the Shaver is longer than most 29er full sus frames coming out these days (Evil Following, Canfield Bros Riot a couple examples). I would imagine the Shaver's chainstay length is a large reason why the bike provides so much climbing traction, downhill stability and a balanced feel in general which is great. But do you think it detracts in any big way from handling in tight corners such as switchbacks, manualing or overall quick handling characteristics?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks. Glad that you like the frame / ride perspectives.I am not experienceing any issues with handling switchbacks at all and find the Shavers handling to be nicely balanced. I think the frame geometry /HA /SA is well thought out/designed. I find the handling to be somewhat "neutral" not overally quick or slow.In my opinion, perfect characteristics relative to the intended use of the frame. I primarily ride all mountain , technical northeast single track which tends to consist of fairly tight technical sections, lot's of switchbacks and steep short to moderae length climbs and decents over root, log and rock strewn terrain. I am able to maneuver the bike accurately and seemlessly through everything with no over exagerated movements required. I know that the "long chainstay" concern seems to persist as a criticism of 29ers. However, I frankly have yet to find a reason to complain about it. I also ride a Ventana El Commandante single speed 29er with 18"stays and it handles fine in tight terrain and switchbacks. Perhaps they dont "manual" as naturally as a frame with shorter stays and smaller wheel size, but in no way do I ever feel at a disadvantage on the Shaver 29. As an example, I cannot really discern any notable difference manualing on the Shaver or Ventana as compared to my Gary Fisher Superfly 100 , which was one of the earlier 29er designs touting the shorter stays ( I beleive 17.75" ) as well as G2 geometry and all. In a lot of ways , I think the chaintstay issue is old and a bit "overblown" and in some ways over exploited by the industry marketing folks a bit too much. Perhaps if I was riding "trials" it would be a meaningful matter. Then again, not sure that a 29er platform of any sort would be my first choice for trials riding anyway. In contrast,I believe that a well designed 29er platform creates one of if not the best all mountain bicycle platform. This has been my experience after having extensive experience on 26inch bikes , 96ers and 27.5. In fact, I found the 96er platform to be phenomenal. I still have and ride an older Vicious Cycles Groover 96er that I had custom built by Viscious Cycles ( A small boutique frame builder in upstate NY ( Not sure if still in business these days) several years ago. One of my all time favorite bikes, until the Shaver 29.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Really nice bike and thanks for the ride report. Currently on an 08 fxr but getting ready to pull the trigger on the shaver 29er. After reading this I want one even more now....!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast