mtbr member

New lightweight Foes Downhill

I do not own a Foes, currently I am an Intense fan and love my rigs. I noticed this piece of art at Sea Otter today & was blown away by the craftsmanship, attention to detail & general race oriented thinking this frame represents. Spoke with a cool cat named Brent found out the following:
    7 inch rear travel
    65.5 HA with current config
    14 inch BB height
    17 inch chainstays
    36 lbs as is

cheers,
    Dre
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

wow

Thanks man
    it really looks dang nice, but thats what Brentīs designs look like...
    although i have heard the scissor link will be moved to the top tube. That should make more sense than on the chain stays.

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    Wow...what's wild about this is there is no swing link. Either this is a real early prototype where he's just dinkin' around with the general layout, or he's got some beefy rear triangle there. Interesting...thanks for sharing!!!
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    look closely.
    Its between bottom bracket and chain stay.
    looks a bit like the "swing link" aka shock leverage of the 2:1 mono.
    maybe its there to lower the CoG?

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Just see below,the swinglink is encircled green.

local trails rider
    Isn't it a bit vulnerable down there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    good point, that part of the bike gets pretty dirty sometimes...should be hard to keep clean. On the other hand, it is a race bike. You can find some weird things on race bikes that donīt make sense for everyday riding, e.g. hubs without seals...

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    That is strange...conceptually I would think you'd have more rigidity with the swinglink up on the upper part of the swingarm triangle. It makes me wonder what its really doing. Must be some reason for it down there other than low COG?

You can see the bolt just behind the green circle in the swingarm that I guess is the mount to the swingarm. Wonder where it's mounted ont he frame. Tough to see in this picture. Strange stuff here no doubt.
    Last edited by Dropin%Dug; 04-23-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

local trails rider
    That swing link has to be attached to something too.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Here you can see the swinglink attachment a bit closer.Sorry for the low quality but I hope this does the job.
    I wouldn't be to worried about the possible vulnerable low mounting point of the link because some manufactures even place suspension linkages into that area(think VPP or DW link) and it seems to work for them.But the actual point of placing that link behind the BB is still a bit incomprehensible to me.A possible lower center of gravity could be an approach but after all the swinglinks are not that heavy in weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I talked to the Foes boys at Sea Otter and they said that the link at the bottom was just something they were playing around with. I won't be there on the production models and will be attached similar to other Foes models on the shock and frame.

mtbr member
    It's funny no one mentionned the 1.5 head tube...

That's not new for Foes I suppose, but it's never gone to production.

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    All I can think of is when I look at how short those links are is that it must be more rigid. Again, conceptually it seems to make more sense to have it up at the apex of the triangle, but Brent must have done some serious testing and found this to be tighter. It's the only thing I can think of. And yeah, there's no reason the links can't be down there, but changing pivot bearing might be required more often and be a bit of a bear to get to.

My last 2 cents,
    Dug-da-Goat

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is that not carrying the swingarm, providing for varying (rising) rate as it compresses?? (ala motocross linkage, only using the swingarm instead of being directly connected to shock)

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

BRAAAAP.... BRAAAAP....

Ow..... I scared myself!

[SIZE=3]WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    no!

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Silly me, I see the pivot above the bottom bracket now. So it is just a rigidity endeavor, doesnt even help with shock alignment as it arcs through its path, which I would 've thought was the secondary benefit of the upper swing link.