Thread: my new foes!!

mtbr member

my new foes!!

Ok, so I decided I needed a lightweight rig for trail riding.

Introducing welter weight Foes...

Frame Foes FXR medium with Air Curnutt
    Fork Marzocchi 55 ATA
    Brakes Formula Puro
    Crank Shimano XT
    Headset Chris King
    Rims Mavic 819
    Hubs Chris King
    Front Tire Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35
    Rear Tire Maxxis High Roller 2.35
    Stem Thomson Elite 50mm
    Handlebar Easton EA-70
    Seatpost Thomson Elite
    Seat WTB Rocket V
    Cassette Shimano XT
    Chain Shimano XT
    F. Derailleur Shimano XT
    R. Derailleur Shimano XT low profile
    Pedals Easton Flatboy
    Weight 32.5 lbs

Only ridden it a couple times, very happy with everything so far.

And I have to also include a photo of my trusty big boy, 46 lb shuttle monkey Foes... used to double as my trail bike, but pedaling that much girth uphill just wasn't doing it for me anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That is beyond sick. Haven't seen a bike I've lusted over like that in a looong time. Enjoy!

Broken and dizzy
    Hahaha! You Foes junky! That FXR looks damn sweet. How are you liking the Curnutt air and the 55?

Sorry I haven't gotten back to re your PM. Life's been super crazy lately. Check your PM's. I've got some info/offers for you about my Flys.

Lates!
    - Rich

mtbr member
    May 2005

without floating brake

hi cornholio

how do you compare the FXR to your other Foes with "floating brake" regarding the rear suspension performance under braking on a DH rough terrain?

cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Very Nice! I would rather see a Foes Fly against the wall instead of furniture any day.

Quote Originally Posted by cornholio
    Ok, so I decided I needed a lightweight rig for trail riding.

Introducing welter weight Foes...

Frame Foes FXR medium with Air Curnutt
    Fork Marzocchi 55 ATA
    Brakes Formula Puro
    Crank Shimano XT
    Headset Chris King
    Rims Mavic 819
    Hubs Chris King
    Front Tire Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35
    Rear Tire Maxxis High Roller 2.35
    Stem Thomson Elite 50mm
    Handlebar Easton EA-70
    Seatpost Thomson Elite
    Seat WTB Rocket V
    Cassette Shimano XT
    Chain Shimano XT
    F. Derailleur Shimano XT
    R. Derailleur Shimano XT low profile
    Pedals Easton Flatboy
    Weight 32.5 lbs

Only ridden it a couple times, very happy with everything so far.

And I have to also include a photo of my trusty big boy, 46 lb shuttle monkey Foes... used to double as my trail bike, but pedaling that much girth uphill just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slickvic
    hi cornholio

how do you compare the FXR to your other Foes with "floating brake" regarding the rear suspension performance under braking on a DH rough terrain?

cheers
    well, comparing the fxr to the fly isn't really a fair comparison, as they're intended for different types of riding, and a lot of it depends on build choice. my fly is built up 13+ lbs heavier than the fxr. the fly is very stable, mows down rough stuff with confidence and won't ever deflect offline. downhill, i'm definitely faster on my fly. my fxr is way lighter, steeper geometry, sketchier at speed in the rough. i can feel i'm getting bounced around more, and i tend to pick my way through rough sections more, as opposed to just bullying my way through. on the fly, you just point it in a straight line and mow down anything in your path. but on the fly, if i'm not shuttling or riding lifts, i'm probably pushing up, whereas on the fxr i can actually have a pleasant time pedalling uphill for a change.

so to answer your question, yes, the floating brake is nice. on the fxr, i do get bounced around more in the rough, probably more so when braking. i think part of it is due to the floating brake, and part of it is everything else that is burlier on my fly--heavier wheels, heavier fatter dual ply tires (michelin 2.8 up front versus maxxis 2.35), slacker geometry, 888RC2X versus 55 ATA, etc. the floating brake makes a difference, though, and if you lean toward DH/FR, the fly is the way to go. i have the luxury of owning two bikes, but if i could have only one bike, i would get one of the new flys and build it up around 39 or 40 lbs. (the 55 ATA is a very nice fork btw, not as amazing as the 888, but for an "aggressive trail"/"freeride-lite" type rig, it's very nice, plush, progressive, smooth, adjustable, no complaints so far...)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    great review. cronholio
    i am more leaning on the FXR side, i do AM mainly

all Foes are single pivot designed, i thought they would share the same effects
    while the floating brake is not featuring on the FXR, but i havent seen any FXR owners complaining about stiffed rear suspension or brake jack in this forum, MBA didnt mentioned it either

inferno has it, but that has been removed from the 08 lineup...

mtbr member
    great review. cronholio
    i am more leaning on the FXR side, i do AM mainly

all Foes are single pivot designed, i thought they would share the same effects
    while the floating brake is not featuring on the FXR, but i havent seen any FXR owners complaining about stiffed rear suspension or brake jack in this forum, MBA didnt mentioned it either

inferno has it, but that has been removed from the 08 lineup...
    i didn't notice any brake jack. being used to riding the fly as my only ride for the past few years, what i noticed is my fxr is a much lighter rig and gets bounced around more when trying to pin it through rough sections. i didn't notice anything different with braking specifically, but there probably is a little stiffening in the rear under hard braking. i'll pay more attention to that next time i ride. overall, i think you'll be really stoked with the fxr. not a dh/fr bike, but for it's intended purpose, it's pretty much spot on.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    really looking forward to your feedbacks from your next ride on the FXR

from the country of where i live, LBS wouldnt do demo
    it is like "buy and error" here than "try and error"

i wish to get as much as input as possible before dishing out my dosh.....

mtbr member
    really looking forward to your feedbacks from your next ride on the FXR

from the country of where i live, LBS wouldnt do demo
    it is like "buy and error" here than "try and error"

i wish to get as much as input as possible before dishing out my dosh.....
    trying to find a foes demo bike is usually a tall order. unless you know someone that has one. it's always subjective, but imo, as far as quality and workmanship, you can't really go wrong with a foes.

ok here's an update...

as for the floating brake / no floating brake, i honestly don't notice not having the floating brake arm on the fxr versus the fly. maybe there are some braking inputs, but i don't notice them.

as to the initial feeling of the bike being deflected offline in the rocks (as compared to the fly), as I suspect that was strictly due to difference in buildkit compared to the much beefier build i have on my fly. the front end was so much lighter than my fly that it deflected side to side easier. i've since put a heavier dual ply high roller 2.5 on the front, and find it more to my liking. the bike seems more stable now for the downhill. that added a full pound over the single ply 2.3 i had, but like i said before, wheels and tires make a huge difference to the ride and feel and for dh stability at speed and in the rough. i don't notice the extra pound when going up, so for me, it's a good tradeoff.

i'm very happy with the air curnutt. seems plush and smooth, adjustable, no problems.

also happy with the 55 ata. it's very stiff and very light, and has a smooth progressive stroke. but.... i did notice a bit of winddown on the descents.

it's unfortunate that marz didn't get this winddown issue 100% sorted, because even though it's easily fixed (if you know how to tighten the detents), it tarnishes what is otherwise a fantastic fork. knowing that marz has had this issue, and overall a bad rap for their air forks, i went with them anyway, because the marz service center for north america happens to be just a few minutes away from my house. so for me, it was a no-brainer, and i'm very happy with my decision. i took it to naz and he got it dialed in minutes, and he took an extra few minutes to fix a minor cable routing problem i had just for the hell of it. naz rocks.

Liquid Wrench
    May 2007

FXR and Floating Brake

I had Therapy modify my King rear hub, and I installed a Floater w/ 10mm Thru-Axle on my '07 FXR. I can recommend this, but it was expensive- even at shop guy pricing. I got the alloy arm and the brake mount is direct post 203 only, and it's chunky. But It made my FXR into a "Fly Lite", if you will. The added weight seems almost benificial in the rough, because you can really make your eyes bleed and that rear stays planted, and the thru axle is a must for all bigger bikes, in my opinion. There are some modest action shots in this thread. I'm just getting the hang of launching this beast... Big bikes=Big fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bret winters
    I had Therapy modify my King rear hub, and I installed a Floater w/ 10mm Thru-Axle on my '07 FXR. I can recommend this, but it was expensive- even at shop guy pricing. I got the alloy arm and the brake mount is direct post 203 only, and it's chunky. But It made my FXR into a "Fly Lite", if you will. The added weight seems almost benificial in the rough, because you can really make your eyes bleed and that rear stays planted, and the thru axle is a must for all bigger bikes, in my opinion. There are some modest action shots in this thread. I'm just getting the hang of launching this beast... Big bikes=Big fun
    cool. i was debating whether or not to get the chris king fun bolts. i didn't because i figured this is supposed to be my light duty trail bike so a QR should suffice. but if i have any problems i may reconsider.

nice action shots. carlmont is so fun. even with the literally endless sick riding up here, i still miss my fav bay area spots... good ol carlmont, pacifica, soquel, and the fast swoopy santa cruz single track. good stuff.

Bomber
    All the new king hubs have an insert in the axle that a 5mm will remove. Inside, you will find the threaded recepticles for the fun bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!111
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Liquid Wrench
    May 2007
    Just to clarify- audiophile was logged on to mtbr @ work so I accidentally posted from his account. I should have said some crazy nonsesnse for fun. Anyway I guess you might already know that bit about the king hub if you've contemplated it. I say do it, unless you're racing xc/long super-d. I'll race my thru's on MAXXIS UST thanks. If I didn't work at a shop, i would never have to fix a flat(thanx Stan)..