Thread: My Built Shaver

mtbr member

My Built Shaver

After several months of waiting the time has come! So here she is! Already got 15 miles in this A.M.. So far Thumbs up!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Built Shaver-img_1706.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    damn

mtbr member
    That looks nice, your stoked!
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Ya ubber stokeed! here is the maiden voyage...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Built Shaver-111.jpg  

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Ya ubber stokeed! here is the maiden voyage...
    Nice!

Deets?

Ride report?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    After spending a long weekend at Mammoth Iím getting to know the new bike and the way she handles pretty good. The first time looking at the front end I was worried the rake seemed so much more relaxed than my ol trusty FXR. While this bike is truly an ultra trail bike more so than the FXR, I didnít find the climbs to be more difficult, but you do have to be a bit more careful when climbing up a very steep climb and you almost stall. The FXR is certainly more forgiving at this particular point. Other than that I canít say I missed the FXR at MammothÖIíll go as far as Iíll more than likely never bring the FXR to Mammoth again with the Shaver in the lineup. Iíve ridden the FXR w/o fail for 9 yrs at Mammoth and it is certainly capable and had a great time, but the Shaver just ups the ante andÖ.wow let her rip. The 66 degree head tube angle is just about perfect to have an ultra trail bike than can still be used for epic xc rides and climbs.

After reviewing my Garmin for trail times I upped the speed and reduced time down the mountain. In fact I got 7 full runs from the top to the village and 2 from McCoy Station (one to the village and the other to the main lodge). The best I managed on the FXR was 5 full runs with the life lines being the same.

I went w/ 2x10 drive train, which is new to me, and can say I didnít miss the triple crank at all. I had to dig deeper at times with my low gear higher than on my FXR but not enough to make me think 2x10 was a bad choice.

I wasnít quite happy with the Talas settings and need more time to get it where I like it. I may just change out the Talas cartridges for floats. The float seems so much smoother than the Talas doesÖmore plush.

The wider handle bar also makes descending easier and keeps the body position more positive. The steering is slower than my FXR but didnít seem to bother me after awhile of riding. I did find corners a bit more difficult to turn sharply at a decent speed compared to the FXR but that could be just me getting used to a new bike, slacker head tube angle and wide bars.

I can say without a doubt that the Shimano XTR brakes are the best, the modulation is superb and saved my arse more than I can count this weekend.

Last but not least the gravity dropperÖdaum love this thing to just drop it from xc position into a downhill position and rip.

The setup

Havoc carbon bars
    Thomson Stem 90mm no rise
    Gravity Dropper seatpost
    XTR brakes
    XT Ice rotors 180mm
    XT cranks 2x10
    XT rear cog
    XT front/rear derailleur
    XTR Shifter pods
    Mavic CrossMax STís
    Chris King headset
    Fox Talas 160mm forks
    WTB Team Bronson tires
    ODI Ruffion grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Built Shaver-0903121432.jpg  

Crazed Country Rebel
    After spending a long weekend at Mammoth Iím getting to know the new bike and the way she handles pretty good. The first time looking at the front end I was worried the rake seemed so much more relaxed than my ol trusty FXR. While this bike is truly an ultra trail bike more so than the FXR, I didnít find the climbs to be more difficult, but you do have to be a bit more careful when climbing up a very steep climb and you almost stall. The FXR is certainly more forgiving at this particular point. Other than that I canít say I missed the FXR at MammothÖIíll go as far as Iíll more than likely never bring the FXR to Mammoth again with the Shaver in the lineup. Iíve ridden the FXR w/o fail for 9 yrs at Mammoth and it is certainly capable and had a great time, but the Shaver just ups the ante andÖ.wow let her rip. The 66 degree head tube angle is just about perfect to have an ultra trail bike than can still be used for epic xc rides and climbs.

After reviewing my Garmin for trail times I upped the speed and reduced time down the mountain. In fact I got 7 full runs from the top to the village and 2 from McCoy Station (one to the village and the other to the main lodge). The best I managed on the FXR was 5 full runs with the life lines being the same.

I went w/ 2x10 drive train, which is new to me, and can say I didnít miss the triple crank at all. I had to dig deeper at times with my low gear higher than on my FXR but not enough to make me think 2x10 was a bad choice.

I wasnít quite happy with the Talas settings and need more time to get it where I like it. I may just change out the Talas cartridges for floats. The float seems so much smoother than the Talas doesÖmore plush.

The wider handle bar also makes descending easier and keeps the body position more positive. The steering is slower than my FXR but didnít seem to bother me after awhile of riding. I did find corners a bit more difficult to turn sharply at a decent speed compared to the FXR but that could be just me getting used to a new bike, slacker head tube angle and wide bars.

I can say without a doubt that the Shimano XTR brakes are the best, the modulation is superb and saved my arse more than I can count this weekend.

Last but not least the gravity dropperÖdaum love this thing to just drop it from xc position into a downhill position and rip.

The setup

Havoc carbon bars
    Thomson Stem 90mm no rise
    Gravity Dropper seatpost
    XTR brakes
    XT Ice rotors 180mm
    XT cranks 2x10
    XT rear cog
    XT front/rear derailleur
    XTR Shifter pods
    Mavic CrossMax STís
    Chris King headset
    Fox Talas 160mm forks
    WTB Team Bronson tires
    ODI Ruffion grips
    very nice. great build. whats the weight?

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    You know I havenít had a chance to weight it yetÖ.riding was more importantÖlol The ol butt dyno test by holding up my FXR and Shaver in each arm that itís a hair lighter, Iím going to say ok guess 30lbs. Iíll try to get it more precise soon. Are you thinking of getting one? DO IT!!!!

Oh I decided against the flows just too much for the riding Iíd be doing, wanted the Archís but they were out of stock everywhere I looked and time was running out to get it built for my trip to Mammoth. I even considered the WTB Stryker as the wheel seemed to weighted evenly great UST sidewall construction and seemed to have great hubs, but again time was my enemy. The CrossMax Stís í09;s havenít failed me on my FXR and actually quite happy with the STís though I really wanted black.

Crazed Country Rebel
    You know I havenít had a chance to weight it yetÖ.riding was more importantÖlol The ol butt dyno test by holding up my FXR and Shaver in each arm that itís a hair lighter, Iím going to say ok guess 30lbs. Iíll try to get it more precise soon. Are you thinking of getting one? DO IT!!!!

Oh I decided against the flows just too much for the riding Iíd be doing, wanted the Archís but they were out of stock everywhere I looked and time was running out to get it built for my trip to Mammoth. I even considered the WTB Stryker as the wheel seemed to weighted evenly great UST sidewall construction and seemed to have great hubs, but again time was my enemy. The CrossMax Stís í09;s havenít failed me on my FXR and actually quite happy with the STís though I really wanted black.
    No. I have a pretty new FXR. it's sitting right at 30 pounds.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Ya I knew you had that, just ya know something new....lol

All this harmonica stuff
    Great posts X-FXR. I opened e-mail saying this new FXR is out of pre-production being readied for a soon release -- I had seen these posts though... was wondering if I had done the best by choosing to wait all season for it. As in 'No Riding'!!! I've felt like a cheap-date whenever a trailbike would pass me!!
    Really stout, really fun bike you have got here. Keep it coming!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    very nice. great build. whats the weight?

I know it's late in coming but better than never eh? lol

The build as currently stated above is right at 31lbs,, My ol FXR is 31.5lbs
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."