Thread: My 3rd Foes

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008

My 3rd Foes

My third Foes, a 2004 FXR. Preceded by a 94 LTS (wish I still had it) and a 2001 FXC and to be followed next month by a sub 20lb Foes ProLite Hardtail.

Enough of that.
    My 2004 FXR...

And for those that don't think an FXR can climb, mine is 29.5 lbs, loaded with my 43 year old, 182 lb butt, and 8 lbs of gear, took me 11 miles up with 3800 feet of elevation gain this morning. (ok bear with the bragging but I was feeling good today!) This is the view this morning from Rincon Red Box @ 4800 feet looking over Southern California.

And this is the same mountain looking at it from my back yard. I drove to the base of the hills. The blue circle marks the spot where I took pic #2.

I love my FXR!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what a spot. You lucky bastard

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaman
    My third Foes, a 2004 FXR. Preceded by a 94 LTS (wish I still had it) and a 2001 FXC and to be followed next month by a sub 20lb Foes ProLite Hardtail.

Enough of that.
    My 2004 FXR...

And for those that don't think an FXR can climb, mine is 29.5 lbs, loaded with my 43 year old, 182 lb butt, and 8 lbs of gear, took me 11 miles up with 3800 feet of elevation gain this morning. (ok bear with the bragging but I was feeling good today!) This is the view this morning from Rincon Red Box @ 4800 feet looking over Southern California.

And this is the same mountain looking at it from my back yard. I drove to the base of the hills. The blue circle marks the spot where I took pic #2.

I love my FXR!
    Your bike looks goofy. And I don't think it's the dirt on your lense causing it.

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Your bike looks goofy
    And your point? I agree, it's set up more XC than chair lift, and some of those parts aren't trendy or new either, but who cares. I'm not out to win the cool looking bike contest, just beat guys half my age up the hill.

Crazed Country Rebel
    I'm not out to win the cool looking bike contest, just beat guys half my age up the hill.
    Then why did you get an 8 pound, 6" travel frame?

Either put your weight weenie parts on an XC frame, or drop the fishing rod stem and flat bars.

Aug 2008
    Four letters boss, F R E E.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Must be a bike fashion policeman

Either put your weight weenie parts on an XC frame, or drop the fishing rod stem and flat bars.
    How someone builds their bike is up to them. They build it as they feel it best fits their needs or wallet capacity. While I would agree that this particular build is not atypical of a 6inch travel frame, it is what the builder wants or needs it to be. Criticizing his build is petty and more indicative of a poser mindset than a true mountain bikers mindset. All that matters is the OP is happy and loves his bike because it does what HE needs it to do.

mtbr member

Fit is personal

But a 4" fork on a 5-5.75" frame dosn't make much sense to me. Your bike & money but a Minute or or Talas that could mimic the reba for climbing and still give you 5+ inches in the back to match the frame for coming back down would really make it better for it's intended use. The weight penalty could be as little as 1/2 lb with something like a Marzocchi xc700sl (90-140mm) 3.6lbs. Hell of a frame color, search and rescue should have no issue finding you if you get lost nice ride pics.

Aug 2008
    I truly appreciate the candid comments. What I rode and how it looked used to be a lot more important than it is now. Now I'm just happy to escape for a few hours without anyone needing my time (wife, kid, customers), and to me that's what it is all about. I realize this bike doesn't make sense to most of you just like it doesn't make sense to me to put a bike on a lift to get to the top of a mountain. To each his own as they say. BTW, that's safety orange, probably better left for the roadside crew equipment...

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Good for you!

I truly appreciate the candid comments. What I rode and how it looked used to be a lot more important than it is now. Now I'm just happy to escape for a few hours without anyone needing my time (wife, kid, customers), and to me that's what it is all about. I realize this bike doesn't make sense to most of you just like it doesn't make sense to me to put a bike on a lift to get to the top of a mountain. To each his own as they say. BTW, that's safety orange, probably better left for the roadside crew equipment...
    I can appreciate the need to get away from it all! You have some killer looking terrain there in what I assume is Cali, probably Southern Cali? Nice bike and good for you for not feeling the need to be a fasion slave. If the form and function are there and make you happy, then you are right where you need to be! Reminds me of a joke about a man w/a little unit walking into a whorehouse and havign the hooker laugh at his junk and ask "who do you expect to please w/that little thing?" and the man says "me!"

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I happen to have one of these frames in large size laying around, and after reading your post, thought "Really?" Went and grabbed it for a "estimate weight" and there's no way this thing is at 8#s. Less than 7 I would suspect, but have no scale to check.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    I happen to have one of these frames in large size laying around, and after reading your post, thought "Really?" Went and grabbed it for a "estimate weight" and there's no way this thing is at 8#s. Less than 7 I would suspect, but have no scale to check.
    Want to sell it?

Crazed Country Rebel
    The bike will work a lot better if you put a longer travel fork on it, shorten your stem and get some riser bars.

The way you have it set doesn't take full advantage of its capabilities.

You got the bike for free? Then you should have a couple bucks left over to fine tune it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2008
    Money left over? LOL, apparently you're not married nor have any kids. Seriously though, after reading everyone's input and talking to my riding buddy who just went to risers, I took a trip to Jenson USA yesterday (10 minutes away) and bought an 80mm stem and risers, put them on last night, and the bike is in the car for an after work ride. Fork might be a while though. The closer bars are a whole different feel so we'll see how it goes. Oh ya, it does look less goofy.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Money left over? LOL, apparently you're not married nor have any kids. Seriously though, after reading everyone's input and talking to my riding buddy who just went to risers, I took a trip to Jenson USA yesterday (10 minutes away) and bought an 80mm stem and risers, put them on last night, and the bike is in the car for an after work ride. Fork might be a while though. The closer bars are a whole different feel so we'll see how it goes. Oh ya, it does look less goofy.
    You're getting there!

You'll need atleast 130mm travel to get the angles right. With the Reba you got a max of 115 or 120?

I tried a Marathon 120 on mine for a short time and know from experience that the bike is optimal with more travel.

Aug 2008
    Update: Last nights ride @ Chino Hills. 14.4 miles. Let me be the first to admit the riser/shorter stem combo completely changes the feel of the bike. The steering is a lot quicker and the feeling of control on the descents is confidence building. I love to climb and I lost a bit of postition with the risers, but being more upright seemed to give me the ability to increase my cadence and gain the advantage of momentum. And being more upright my axx was more comfortable on the seat. Soooo...it was a good change.
    Last edited by Margaritaman; 10-02-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Aug 2008

Update

Since I'm already knee deep in building my ProLite hardtail...
    Updated the FXR with new wheels, fork, tires, stem, and bars.
    It will do what I need it to do and then some. Still weighs nothing for what it is so I will be able to pedal it up the hill.
    The Lyrik is a U-Turn coil and set at 145mm. We'll start there and see how it handles. Shock is incredibly plush.
    Thanks to the couple of members her who offered up their used forks for very reasonble prices, it was appreciated.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Since I'm already knee deep in building my ProLite hardtail...
    Updated the FXR with new wheels, fork, tires, stem, and bars.
    It will do what I need it to do and then some. Still weighs nothing for what it is so I will be able to pedal it up the hill.
    The Lyrik is a U-Turn coil and set at 145mm. We'll start there and see how it handles. Shock is incredibly plush.
    Thanks to the couple of members her who offered up their used forks for very reasonble prices, it was appreciated.

Good job. You'll be way happier with the proper angles and cockpit on the FXR.

Slam that seat for the downhills and the bike handles like a DH rig.

Keep an eye on those cranks - they break.

Otherwise, have fun!

mtbr member

very nice!

Now that looks like an FXR
    Now when are we going to get a look at that Prolite? Oh yea; now you have a reba to hang from the prolite

Aug 2008
    Nope, Reba is going on the wife's hardtail, bike that is. Same place the old wheels are going too. Prolite is getting a SID. It'll be a weight weenie special for sure.
    Still waiting on the frame. Garage cabinet full of new top shelf parts just waiting for a home. Should be sub 20lbs by all my calculations. I haven't been on a hardtail in a long while and having 11-12lbs less bike to pedal ought to make a difference...going uphill.

mtbr member

Wow 20lbs

I hope they make a single speed specific version that won't require a singulator. SS is the only thing I consider a hardtail good for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice changes Margaritaman. You must have found some change down the back of the sofa

I love your riding spot. I'm not sure I'd make it to work if I had that on my doorstep.

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    Nice changes Margaritaman. You must have found some change down the back of the sofa
    I love your riding spot. I'm not sure I'd make it to work if I had that on my doorstep.
    Thanks. That's the beauty of a job in sales, need money, sell more.

OK, you guys were right. I went for a spin yesterday, 8 miles up "those" hills and 8 right back down. Climbs just fine. Back down faster and with more confidence than ever. Big fun factor increase. Took lines that I never would have touched before. Thanks!