Thread: A little help

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009

A little help

Looking at purchasing a used anodized 2005 FXR w/ Ti curnut shock. Frame is in great shape and will come with a salsa qr seatpost clamp, ec90 seatpost, wtb rocket seat, king headset, xt FD, new BB and fsa or raceface cranks(both new). asking price is $725. To me this seems like a great deal but just wanted to check w/ the foes community to make sure as I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on the web.

thanks in advance and looking forward to owning a foes.

Also, what is the shock rate of the 2005 FXR w/ curnut? Any info would be much appreciated.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member

2005?

I don't think there were anodized frames in 2005, even in 2004. 2003 had ano frames. I think the shock is 2 inches, so 2.5:1 rate in the 5" mode...
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by zach.scofield
    Looking at purchasing a used anodized 2005 FXR w/ Ti curnut shock. Frame is in great shape and will come with a salsa qr seatpost clamp, ec90 seatpost, wtb rocket seat, king headset, xt FD, new BB and fsa or raceface cranks(both new). asking price is $725. To me this seems like a great deal but just wanted to check w/ the foes community to make sure as I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on the web.

thanks in advance and looking forward to owning a foes.

Also, what is the shock rate of the 2005 FXR w/ curnut? Any info would be much appreciated.
    Sounds like a good deal.

2.8:1 in 5.75" mode. 2.5:1 in 5" mode.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I don't think there were anodized frames in 2005, even in 2004. 2003 had ano frames. I think the shock is 2 inches, so 2.5:1 rate in the 5" mode...
    It is indeed a 2005 model(verified by margot @ Foes) that is anodized in a gun metal greyish color. The shock is the curnutt xtd w/ a titanium spring.
    Last edited by zach.scofield; 07-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Sounds like a good deal.

2.8:1 in 5.75" mode. 2.5:1 in 5" mode.
    Thanks.
    Mountain Riders

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I don't think that's right. The vanilla RL i took off mine appears to be a 2.25" stroke, and I think the curnutt is also 2.25. It doesn't quite look it because the bottom-out bumper is pretty big, but pretty sure it's 2.25 and the resulting ratios are: 2.55:1 and 2.22:1. I am nearly certain of this.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    The email I got from margot yesterday said that in 6" mode the bike is a 3:1 ratio which would make it 2.5:1 in 5" mode meaning the shock w/ 4" coil was indeed a 2" stroke.

Jayem:
    I would very much prefer the lower ratio if that was the case. I'm going to go see this potential new frame again today or tomorrow and see for myself what stroke is on it. The whole reason I would be getting this frame is to lower my shock ratio from my trance's 2.8:1 and increase travel slightly.

I would really love to find a nice used 2:1 06 frame somewhere for a good deal.
    Mountain Riders

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zach.scofield
    The email I got from margot yesterday said that in 6" mode the bike is a 3:1 ratio which would make it 2.5:1 in 5" mode meaning the shock w/ 4" coil was indeed a 2" stroke.

Jayem:
    I would very much prefer the lower ratio if that was the case. I'm going to go see this potential new frame again today or tomorrow and see for myself what stroke is on it. The whole reason I would be getting this frame is to lower my shock ratio from my trance's 2.8:1 and increase travel slightly.

I would really love to find a nice used 2:1 06 frame somewhere for a good deal.
    Hmm, why do you think that a lower shock ratio would be better? There are quite a few disadvantages in terms of spring incriment size, seal/bushing/suspension bearing drag, and so forth.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had the 05 and ran it at both travel settings and found I liked the 5.75" setting best. The extra travel and leverage made for a better ride. I have also seen a couple ano fxr's including one in gun metal gray(05). Very nice looking. Almost had my 08 ano'd but went for powder coat instead.If it is in good cond. then it is well worth it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man
    I had the 05 and ran it at both travel settings and found I liked the 5.75" setting best. The extra travel and leverage made for a better ride. I have also seen a couple ano fxr's including one in gun metal gray(05). Very nice looking. Almost had my 08 ano'd but went for powder coat instead.If it is in good cond. then it is well worth it.
    Well, that's the thing. You can't have adjustable travel that changes the rate significantly and not have it feel crappy in one of the travel settings. In this case, the HIGHER leverage setting works better for you (the 5.75" setting). Low leverage or high leverage is meaningless if the shock is not tuned for that leverage. In your case you're saying the shock was sprung and tuned better for the 5.75 setting. That's the higher leverage setting, but the size of the piston and how much oil it flows (orofices and the springs that control them) have to be tuned accordingly. This is why some bigger shocks (like avalanche) do well on some high-leverage bikes, because they have bigger pistons and move more oil around just like a lower-leverage design would. Lower leverage is not the only way to achieve sensitive damping.

So it's not that it's lower or higher leverage, it's just that the particular shock you rode was better-tuned for the higher-leverage setting. It's all about the shock being tuned correctly.

Adjustable travel has never worked very well, at least in most of it's incarnations. If you're using a coil spring you need a different spring if you change the travel and leverage rate (such as if you have the correct spring for the 5" setting, it's going to be undersprung for the 5.75" setting) and that will just get you the correct spring rate. The internal damping of the shock also has to be changed, and that's not adjustable externally, even though there are external adjustments on shocks. What is adeqaute damping for the 5.75" setting may be too much in the 5" setting.

Just like you may be thinking, most people usually choose one travel setting and then stay with it. Despite the above, you can adjust the spring (and it's pretty easy with an a air-shock) and you can run the different travel setting, it just won't be optimal. The funniest "adjustable travel" bike was when ellsworth was advertising this and "all" you had to do was buy an additional shock to change the travel. Manufacturers have done this from time to time (allowed the use of different sized shocks on their bikes), but the way ellsworth presented it was as if it was a "feature" of the bike and they conveniently left out the part about having to buy an additional shock.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    I am looking for a lower leverage ratio w/ longer stroke for for better compliance/sensitivity as I am a bigger guy and the 1.5" stroke w/ fox shock on my trance doesnt give me the sensitivity I am after becuase it requires me to run such a high air pressure.

I am still not completely sold on the Foes however. I seem to be getting a ton of conflicting info from all of the sources. The Owner of the frame currently says the shock is a 2.25" stroke.

Whatever...I'll consider all my options a while longer and continue to research.
    Mountain Riders

Elitest thrill junkie
    Lower leverage does not mean that a bike would be more compliant or sensitive. Check your PMs.