Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ya same man...if enything i might get the dhs mono in the nexed 3 years 1s my fly gets a bit old

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the mono is nice but the monque will make a bong sound when rocks hit it.lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    hahaha..lol

mtbr member
    Some interesting bikes. I didn't know there where that many fly's out there.
    Here are some pics of my fxr 2:1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Quimby!
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinbiter
    Some interesting bikes. I didn't know there where that many fly's out there.
    Here are some pics of my fxr 2:1.
    Nice bike pumpkinbiter ! Did you encounter much trouble with fitting the Lefty? I also noticed you have a fitting connecting the forward end of the DHX to the shock mounting rails on the downtube. Exactly how did you manage to make that arrangement stable ?

mtbr member
    What stops the extension from twisting?

mtbr member
    Twisting? I didn't think about that. I havn't actually ridden the bike yet so I don't know
    what's gonna happen when I apply a load to the shock. O.k. just kidding.

Thank you for the compliment Jet-Mech. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask how that thing doesn't twist around. Pretty simple, I machined the profile of the stock shock mount into the extender. So when mounted up and tightened it is supported on both the top and side of the stock shock mount. It's kinda hard to see in the big picture. But it works.

The lefty adaptor is another one of my creations. It goes on as easy as any double crown fork! It's just an alloy steerer tube with a billet top and bottom clamp that holds the leg in place. Just like the stock one only billet and with a 1.125 steerer tube.

mtbr member
    That makes sense. Let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    just curious why the fox over the curnutt shock, did you lose any travel?

The Quimby!
    Thank you for the compliment Jet-Mech. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask how that thing doesn't twist around. Pretty simple, I machined the profile of the stock shock mount into the extender. So when mounted up and tightened it is supported on both the top and side of the stock shock mount. It's kinda hard to see in the big picture. But it works.

The lefty adaptor is another one of my creations. It goes on as easy as any double crown fork! It's just an alloy steerer tube with a billet top and bottom clamp that holds the leg in place. Just like the stock one only billet and with a 1.125 steerer tube.
    G'day pumkinbiter , I presume you mean that the interface between the forward mounting lug of the DHX and where it bolts together with the extender are complimentary male and female shapes. That is a clever way of doing it. It is good to see you did the Lefty work yourself. Is Foes happy for you to use a dual crown fork on the FXR? Anyway, many kudos for all the ingenious home engineering !
    Last edited by Jet-Mech; 06-24-2006 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Rivetti,

The curnutt would klunk every time it changed direction. Also I couldn't get
    the compressions damping light enough to absorb small bumps well. They (foes)
    said it was all part of the shock design. It may be but I couldn't handle it. I felt
    the front end was loading and compressing too much in corners(makes the front
    end want to push) because the rear was so hevily damped the bike wouldn't fall into
    it's travel evenly. And the clunking on small bumps was driving me crazy. So I just
    decided to try the fox air because I felt them on some of the newer long travel bikes
    and they feel plush. I am not particularly a fox fan but this shock is pretty impressive.
    Tons of ajustments and it changes direction like butter. I do have to give the kurnutt
    credit for doing one thing well, climbing. But hardtails climb well too??? Otherwise
    all thumbs up on the foes fxr. Oh, and to answer your question, I did not loose any travel.
    The fox is offered in a 3" stroke same as the stock 6" travel curnutt. The only dif is the eye to eye, thus the adaptor.

Jet-Mech
    You said it right. That is what I ment to say.
    Foes knows aobut the lefty and they said double crown forks shouldn't be a problem on the fxr. I double checked with them cause I know I would be running one and I didn't want any warranty problems. Thanks for the Kudos! But it's not exaclty home engineering. I do mechanical design and manufacturing for a living so... I hope you don't think any less of me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i agree about the small bump absorbtion.
    any plans on selling the adaptor?

mtbr member
    Not really. I made 5 so if someone wants one I would work something out with them
    but no mass production plans. Just trying to fix a small problem with a great bike for myself. Are you riding a 2:1 fxr also?

mtbr member
    May 2006

My FXR

Here is my Foes FXR 2-1. Got it today, and i have spent the afternoon assembling new and old parts. The crankset is not in yet, gues I'll be doing it tomorrow. Some of the parts on the speclist are shipped from chainreaction cycles and is not on the bike yet. Future improvings will be: Middleburn crankset, new rims/spokes and a new seat. Will lighten the bike with almost half a kilo.

Frame: Foes fxr 2-1 6"
    Fork: Pace RC41 fighter 150mm
    Headset: CK (Calvin Klein)
    Hubs/rims: Hope XC/xm321
    Stem: FSA OS 115
    Handlebar: FSA XC 190
    Seatpost: Extralite The Post
    Seatclamp: Hope
    Krankset: XT
    Chain: HG93
    Shifters: SRAM X9
    Rear dearallieur: X9
    Front dearallieur: XT
    Pedales: Shimano 959
    Breaks: Formula B4 pro
    Seat: Selle Italia C2
    Grips: Ritchey wcs

At last a great hug and big thank you to Matt Hartman at www.mojowheels.com. Awsome service! I have sent him 20 e-mails asking stupid questions about everything. The answers has always popped into my mailbox after short time.
    Thank you Matt! I hope I don't have been a major pain in the ass.

OveR

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice...I think I might sell my 03 and get a 2:1 FXR. choices choices choices . . .

mtbr member
    May 2006

... and if we just ... Finshed...

The thread needed an update with my finished bike.....

Ove

The Quimby!
    Jet-Mech
    You said it right. That is what I ment to say.
    Foes knows aobut the lefty and they said double crown forks shouldn't be a problem on the fxr. I double checked with them cause I know I would be running one and I didn't want any warranty problems. Thanks for the Kudos! But it's not exaclty home engineering. I do mechanical design and manufacturing for a living so... I hope you don't think any less of me.
    Of course not, it is good to see any original engineering solution regardless of the manufacturing resources available to produce it .

FR & DH Newbie :p
    hey... I tot i saw an orange Fly'06? you ordered an orange one or did you get it repainted?
    [SIZE="5"]-=5tr|k3=-[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5trike
    hey... I tot i saw an orange Fly'06? you ordered an orange one or did you get it repainted?
    It was a warranty thing, Foes doesnt do custom colors.
    Last edited by kntr; 09-24-2006 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Those new flys look sweet but I still prefer the old school with the arches.. Here's my Foes Fly which I just finished about a month ago. Feels great and weights only 18 kg (~40 lbs.). Fell in love first time I saw the Fly frame about three years ago and been dreaming of it since.. Now it's finally on the trails of Finland! Here's the pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Here's mine ...

pic taken while I was back in NZ at the beginning of the year. Having a long distance relationship at the moment which rather sucks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OveR
    The thread needed an update with my finished bike.....

Ove
    That is one drop dead sexy bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rivetti,

The curnutt would klunk every time it changed direction. Also I couldn't get
    the compressions damping light enough to absorb small bumps well. They (foes)
    said it was all part of the shock design.
    I see nothing's changed at foes in the last few years. This was the big thing that turned me off from foes. That shock just doesn't suspend well, at least it didn't on my bike. It did exactly what you described. I even rode a curnutt that felt GREAT, but foes could never make mine work anywhere near it, they'd just tell me that it was "ok" and ship it back. It's "ok" if you like to feel the staircase when you're going down the staircase, but then again I would have bought a hardtail if that was what I wanted. A DHX coil was a huge upgrade from the curnutt. I just hope they do something about the design or QC or whatever. If I buy suspension, that's what I want, not a hardtail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bro.

I think the problem most have with Curnutt shocks is they run a spring that may be too firm for their weight. On my Fly, I weigh 160, say 170 with gear. I run a 300 spring and put about only 55 to 60 (sometimes I run only 50) psi. The bike is great. Now, according to Foes, this is all wrong. Spring is too soft and the psi is too low. But it works. I am not the biggest dropper, but the bike is plush and ramps up when I need it. I think most have to trust that the rampup dial actually works.

According to Foes, I should be running a 350 spring. I found the bike too firm and went back to my original 300. I should point out that the 300 spring was recommended by Rich Cleveland when I originally bought my 03 Fly. I sag more, but it works. I think most take Foes at face value and do not experiment with the settings or springrates. You must remember, Foes sets up its guidelines in order to prevent damage from "dummy factor". The original minimum psi for my 03 was 50; now it is 65. Why? Because lots will put in too little or forget to check, and this provides the margin for safety. Foes does not want to see lots of shocks sent back due to blowup from too little air. They are only covering their ass which is understandable, but if one trys the "too soft" option but maxes out the ramping, you might be suprised. I agree it is not as plush as can be on the smallest chatter, but compared to the big hits and control and pedalling, I love it. Does make a sound on return, but hey, nothing is perfect.

mtbr member
    Most people, including me, want plush on small bumps too. I hate the Curnutt on the small stuff and the noise it makes. I went with a spring 50lbs less than Foes reccommended and I ran 60psi. The thing just sucked on small bumps at any speed. Yes, it pedals well and drops well, but with the adjustments on shocks these days you can get that out of any shock.

You would not believe the the difference the Avalanche makes. Now that the Avy has hi/lo adjustments it can now be pedaled very well. I can make it pedal just at good as the Curnutt and it is super plush on the small bumps and ramps up like you would not believe. I have never bottomed it out..... or at least never felt it.

I ran a 400 lb spring at 60psi and I weigh 185-195 with gear for a few days and just couldnt take it. I could even feel the Curnutt in my hands and feet. Im not arguing here but the ti-Curnutt isnt for everyone and it only weighs 100g less than my ti-Avy DHS.

I hope one day you get to ride a Avalanche on your Fly.

If I had the money I would buy you one just so you could try it out.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast