Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ya same man...if enything i might get the dhs mono in the nexed 3 years 1s my fly gets a bit old

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the mono is nice but the monque will make a bong sound when rocks hit it.lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    hahaha..lol

mtbr member
    Some interesting bikes. I didn't know there where that many fly's out there.
    Here are some pics of my fxr 2:1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Quimby!
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinbiter
    Some interesting bikes. I didn't know there where that many fly's out there.
    Here are some pics of my fxr 2:1.
    Nice bike pumpkinbiter ! Did you encounter much trouble with fitting the Lefty? I also noticed you have a fitting connecting the forward end of the DHX to the shock mounting rails on the downtube. Exactly how did you manage to make that arrangement stable ?

mtbr member
    What stops the extension from twisting?

mtbr member
    Twisting? I didn't think about that. I havn't actually ridden the bike yet so I don't know
    what's gonna happen when I apply a load to the shock. O.k. just kidding.

Thank you for the compliment Jet-Mech. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask how that thing doesn't twist around. Pretty simple, I machined the profile of the stock shock mount into the extender. So when mounted up and tightened it is supported on both the top and side of the stock shock mount. It's kinda hard to see in the big picture. But it works.

The lefty adaptor is another one of my creations. It goes on as easy as any double crown fork! It's just an alloy steerer tube with a billet top and bottom clamp that holds the leg in place. Just like the stock one only billet and with a 1.125 steerer tube.

mtbr member
    That makes sense. Let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    just curious why the fox over the curnutt shock, did you lose any travel?

The Quimby!
    Thank you for the compliment Jet-Mech. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask how that thing doesn't twist around. Pretty simple, I machined the profile of the stock shock mount into the extender. So when mounted up and tightened it is supported on both the top and side of the stock shock mount. It's kinda hard to see in the big picture. But it works.

The lefty adaptor is another one of my creations. It goes on as easy as any double crown fork! It's just an alloy steerer tube with a billet top and bottom clamp that holds the leg in place. Just like the stock one only billet and with a 1.125 steerer tube.
    G'day pumkinbiter , I presume you mean that the interface between the forward mounting lug of the DHX and where it bolts together with the extender are complimentary male and female shapes. That is a clever way of doing it. It is good to see you did the Lefty work yourself. Is Foes happy for you to use a dual crown fork on the FXR? Anyway, many kudos for all the ingenious home engineering !
    Last edited by Jet-Mech; 06-24-2006 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Rivetti,

The curnutt would klunk every time it changed direction. Also I couldn't get
    the compressions damping light enough to absorb small bumps well. They (foes)
    said it was all part of the shock design. It may be but I couldn't handle it. I felt
    the front end was loading and compressing too much in corners(makes the front
    end want to push) because the rear was so hevily damped the bike wouldn't fall into
    it's travel evenly. And the clunking on small bumps was driving me crazy. So I just
    decided to try the fox air because I felt them on some of the newer long travel bikes
    and they feel plush. I am not particularly a fox fan but this shock is pretty impressive.
    Tons of ajustments and it changes direction like butter. I do have to give the kurnutt
    credit for doing one thing well, climbing. But hardtails climb well too??? Otherwise
    all thumbs up on the foes fxr. Oh, and to answer your question, I did not loose any travel.
    The fox is offered in a 3" stroke same as the stock 6" travel curnutt. The only dif is the eye to eye, thus the adaptor.

Jet-Mech
    You said it right. That is what I ment to say.
    Foes knows aobut the lefty and they said double crown forks shouldn't be a problem on the fxr. I double checked with them cause I know I would be running one and I didn't want any warranty problems. Thanks for the Kudos! But it's not exaclty home engineering. I do mechanical design and manufacturing for a living so... I hope you don't think any less of me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i agree about the small bump absorbtion.
    any plans on selling the adaptor?

mtbr member
    Not really. I made 5 so if someone wants one I would work something out with them
    but no mass production plans. Just trying to fix a small problem with a great bike for myself. Are you riding a 2:1 fxr also?

mtbr member
    May 2006

My FXR

Here is my Foes FXR 2-1. Got it today, and i have spent the afternoon assembling new and old parts. The crankset is not in yet, gues I'll be doing it tomorrow. Some of the parts on the speclist are shipped from chainreaction cycles and is not on the bike yet. Future improvings will be: Middleburn crankset, new rims/spokes and a new seat. Will lighten the bike with almost half a kilo.

Frame: Foes fxr 2-1 6"
    Fork: Pace RC41 fighter 150mm
    Headset: CK (Calvin Klein)
    Hubs/rims: Hope XC/xm321
    Stem: FSA OS 115
    Handlebar: FSA XC 190
    Seatpost: Extralite The Post
    Seatclamp: Hope
    Krankset: XT
    Chain: HG93
    Shifters: SRAM X9
    Rear dearallieur: X9
    Front dearallieur: XT
    Pedales: Shimano 959
    Breaks: Formula B4 pro
    Seat: Selle Italia C2
    Grips: Ritchey wcs

At last a great hug and big thank you to Matt Hartman at www.mojowheels.com. Awsome service! I have sent him 20 e-mails asking stupid questions about everything. The answers has always popped into my mailbox after short time.
    Thank you Matt! I hope I don't have been a major pain in the ass.

OveR

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice...I think I might sell my 03 and get a 2:1 FXR. choices choices choices . . .

mtbr member
    May 2006

... and if we just ... Finshed...

The thread needed an update with my finished bike.....

Ove

The Quimby!
    Jet-Mech
    You said it right. That is what I ment to say.
    Foes knows aobut the lefty and they said double crown forks shouldn't be a problem on the fxr. I double checked with them cause I know I would be running one and I didn't want any warranty problems. Thanks for the Kudos! But it's not exaclty home engineering. I do mechanical design and manufacturing for a living so... I hope you don't think any less of me.
    Of course not, it is good to see any original engineering solution regardless of the manufacturing resources available to produce it .

FR & DH Newbie :p
    hey... I tot i saw an orange Fly'06? you ordered an orange one or did you get it repainted?
    -=5tr|k3=-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5trike
    hey... I tot i saw an orange Fly'06? you ordered an orange one or did you get it repainted?
    It was a warranty thing, Foes doesnt do custom colors.
    Last edited by kntr; 09-24-2006 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Those new flys look sweet but I still prefer the old school with the arches.. Here's my Foes Fly which I just finished about a month ago. Feels great and weights only 18 kg (~40 lbs.). Fell in love first time I saw the Fly frame about three years ago and been dreaming of it since.. Now it's finally on the trails of Finland! Here's the pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Here's mine ...

pic taken while I was back in NZ at the beginning of the year. Having a long distance relationship at the moment which rather sucks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OveR
    The thread needed an update with my finished bike.....

Ove
    That is one drop dead sexy bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rivetti,

The curnutt would klunk every time it changed direction. Also I couldn't get
    the compressions damping light enough to absorb small bumps well. They (foes)
    said it was all part of the shock design.
    I see nothing's changed at foes in the last few years. This was the big thing that turned me off from foes. That shock just doesn't suspend well, at least it didn't on my bike. It did exactly what you described. I even rode a curnutt that felt GREAT, but foes could never make mine work anywhere near it, they'd just tell me that it was "ok" and ship it back. It's "ok" if you like to feel the staircase when you're going down the staircase, but then again I would have bought a hardtail if that was what I wanted. A DHX coil was a huge upgrade from the curnutt. I just hope they do something about the design or QC or whatever. If I buy suspension, that's what I want, not a hardtail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bro.

I think the problem most have with Curnutt shocks is they run a spring that may be too firm for their weight. On my Fly, I weigh 160, say 170 with gear. I run a 300 spring and put about only 55 to 60 (sometimes I run only 50) psi. The bike is great. Now, according to Foes, this is all wrong. Spring is too soft and the psi is too low. But it works. I am not the biggest dropper, but the bike is plush and ramps up when I need it. I think most have to trust that the rampup dial actually works.

According to Foes, I should be running a 350 spring. I found the bike too firm and went back to my original 300. I should point out that the 300 spring was recommended by Rich Cleveland when I originally bought my 03 Fly. I sag more, but it works. I think most take Foes at face value and do not experiment with the settings or springrates. You must remember, Foes sets up its guidelines in order to prevent damage from "dummy factor". The original minimum psi for my 03 was 50; now it is 65. Why? Because lots will put in too little or forget to check, and this provides the margin for safety. Foes does not want to see lots of shocks sent back due to blowup from too little air. They are only covering their ass which is understandable, but if one trys the "too soft" option but maxes out the ramping, you might be suprised. I agree it is not as plush as can be on the smallest chatter, but compared to the big hits and control and pedalling, I love it. Does make a sound on return, but hey, nothing is perfect.

mtbr member
    Most people, including me, want plush on small bumps too. I hate the Curnutt on the small stuff and the noise it makes. I went with a spring 50lbs less than Foes reccommended and I ran 60psi. The thing just sucked on small bumps at any speed. Yes, it pedals well and drops well, but with the adjustments on shocks these days you can get that out of any shock.

You would not believe the the difference the Avalanche makes. Now that the Avy has hi/lo adjustments it can now be pedaled very well. I can make it pedal just at good as the Curnutt and it is super plush on the small bumps and ramps up like you would not believe. I have never bottomed it out..... or at least never felt it.

I ran a 400 lb spring at 60psi and I weigh 185-195 with gear for a few days and just couldnt take it. I could even feel the Curnutt in my hands and feet. Im not arguing here but the ti-Curnutt isnt for everyone and it only weighs 100g less than my ti-Avy DHS.

I hope one day you get to ride a Avalanche on your Fly.

If I had the money I would buy you one just so you could try it out.

banned
    How do you guys fit the avy's on there?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the offer. I am not doubting you, I remember your old Fly, but for me, I start with what I have and go from there. I tinker with everything I have; fork, shock, brakes, even internally, to get it to work like I want. I "modified" my Monster T to make it work for me, and now that it is done, it is perfect. I am not ruling out the Avy, but on a cost issue not right now. Also, there is the fact that the cost would be total; ie, it is very hard to sell Curnutts due to the fact very few bikes can use them.

I am convinced from your pics there must be a better way to mount the resevoir. I would put it on the downtube. Are you sure the way you have it is the only way it will work? Does the 90 degree elbow not fit in the top tube mount? Just asking, perhaps for later.

But as long as you are enjoying the ride, so be it. I agree the small stuff is not the perfect option, but I will make it work, even if I have to tear the shock apart. The old one worked just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the offer. I am not doubting you, I remember your old Fly, but for me, I start with what I have and go from there. I tinker with everything I have; fork, shock, brakes, even internally, to get it to work like I want. I "modified" my Monster T to make it work for me, and now that it is done, it is perfect. I am not ruling out the Avy, but on a cost issue not right now. Also, there is the fact that the cost would be total; ie, it is very hard to sell Curnutts due to the fact very few bikes can use them.

I am convinced from your pics there must be a better way to mount the resevoir. I would put it on the downtube. Are you sure the way you have it is the only way it will work? Does the 90 degree elbow not fit in the top tube mount? Just asking, perhaps for later.

But as long as you are enjoying the ride, so be it. I agree the small stuff is not the perfect option, but I will make it work, even if I have to tear the shock apart. The old one worked just fine.

Just looking at the website for Avy, there is no more remote shocks anymore, so perhaps in the future...... What is the springrate you use. I think the springs are all too heavy for me, but that is something I could work on.

mtbr member
    The reservoir is completly out of the way. You cant mount it on the downtube. As the bike goes through the travel the shock moves toward the downtube and the reservoir barely fits even at a resting position. Ive had a few bad wrecks on the bike and the reservoir was never touched.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/att...6&d=1142468362

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/att...6&d=1139510959

The 06 Fly was prone to crack at one of the pivots so Foes added a brace . Here is a pic. Look at an 05 vs an 06 and you will see the difference. The color on the pic is pretty bad.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/att...5&d=1137725756

I guess you could mount the reservoir on the downtube where the seat tube and downtube meet. Ill take the spring off one of these day and cycle the suspension and see how far down the downtube a person could mount it. For now it doesnt bother me and this is were Craig reccommmended it. The upper fitting might also hit if you flipped the shock . You would probably have to leave the upper fitting facing up and then have the line to the reservoir wrap down and mount the reservoir way down the downtube... make sense?

PM me your email. I want to send you a pic of my buddys 05 Fly with a short Montie.
    Last edited by kntr; 08-06-2006 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bro. I can be found at redellsworth@yahoo. com. Sorry. I was a Dare faithful at the time.

Went to Whistler today, and after the ride, I can say the 06 is better. I am even more impressed with the Curnutt. The 9 inch setting makes the bike much more plush on the smaller stuff and ramps up as needed. I think the issue is the springrate. Because the springs come in only 50 lb increments, it makes it very hard to fit some people. I am 170 with gear. I use the 300 lb spring on my 2003 Fly and it was plush then, but even better now. And the shock is not even broken in yet. The Avy is a hit of $750 US, and it is a total loss as I cannot get anything for the Curnutt. I am one of those people where it just works. I am light enough to go too low on the spring, and light enough to use little air. The chatter bumps at Whistler will test anyone, but from an OVERALL perspective, I have a hard time seeing the Curnutt beat. Especially with the frame combo. I never bottomed and used only 55 psi.

I know others will share glowing testamonials, and others, like you, will hate it. That is life. I will take the small imperfections if the overall picture is still clear. The aftermarket options are there, but at a total cost loss; you can sell a fork to replace it but not a Curnutt. So versus my loss option, and the fact I find the shock plush enough, the Avy is a hard sell. I would even like to try a 250 spring on my Curnutt with higher psi, but there are none to be found. To relate this, the the lowest spring option on the Avy is 360, and I know that is way to stiff for me.

Again, as long as we love our rides, so be it. The frame itself is amazing. Stiff, sure, easy to maneouver and nimble. It can't get any better. And from the frames I saw today, the best there.

For tomorrow's ride........

mtbr member
    They make the exact size.

alias chicken

My "black Pearl"

Frame: Foes Fly 03, Curnutt Titan
    Forke: MZ 66light, FW 170 mm
    Wheels: Mavic 729, Chris King Hubs
    Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.35
    Brakes: Jucy 7 Carbon
    Derailleurs: Shimano XT
    Crank: Shimano Saint 3-fach
    Headset: Chris King
    Stem: Tioga
    Handlebar: Profile
    Grips: ODI Ruffian
    Seatpost's: Race Face XY / Thomson

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Greetings from Italy. This is my Inferno, that I use for all-mountain spot. It's heavy, but not so much. I think 36lbs.
    I'm waiting the new Fox 36 Van, that is coming from Canada.

mtbr member
    Here's my 99 Foes Weasel with 01 Super T.

Last year I finally put a new wheelset on her, Sun Eight Tracks.

I keep it around as a spare bike, plus I just can't bring myself to ever sell it.
    Leeann Tweeden is looking for me.....

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm my brand new FXR

... from Italy again like my friend Ciccio… I introduce you my new FXR '06 last version … i love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    And you'll love ti more after some days of epic ride. Trust me.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Damn!!, that hot, I was in the market for the new FXR, after seeing yours I wish I had bought one!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    el toldo - that is by far the best-looking FXR build I've seen on the new frame. sickness!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    el toldo - that is by far the best-looking FXR build I've seen on the new frame. sickness!
    ..thanks! ....seen the macho frame, for me exaggerated for a trail bike, my intention is to make of a use light freeride or allmountain, therefore in order to mount, I have it chosen components with an optimal compromise between lightness and robustness… the bike mounted like in photo is kg16.300 (35,9 lbs)…it's climbing very well and comes down still better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is my 2004 FXR. I love this bike.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    It just keeps getting nastier doesn't it?

I got a new seat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kanter
    You can order any color from Foes but it will cost ya.
    are you serious? that's not true, and spreading that sh!t on the net like you're in the know does no one any good. foes doesn't like to do custom colors, and the only way to get one is if you're in the industry or if you make a huge stink about a warranty replacement.

the reason they don't do custom jobs except in special circumstances is that they can't handle the volume of everyone calling in asking them for a purple frame with pink polka dots, even if the customer offers to pay. and I KNOW that they don't appreciate you spreading rumors about it on the net, bro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    build:

medium 05 fly w/ floater and 450lb ti curnutt;
    current curnutt settings: 60-75psi, full firm, fastest rebound;
    06 200mm Triple Ti Travis, TPC converted, firm spring, integrated stem;
    FSA sky pilot;
    721s, hadley;
    thomson, OS protaper, Ti wtb cockpit;
    X9 1:1 drive train with 22/36/bash and e13 DRS custom fit, XTR cassette, XT front derailer;
    Margura lousie 210mm/160mm;
    XT760 cranks, DX's;
    2.5 nevegals

mtbr member
    I just sold the 06 888 and plan on the 2007 888 WC. Ill post pics ASAP
    Last edited by kntr; 09-24-2006 at 05:06 PM.

alias chicken
    New Pics from my "black Pearl"....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can someone help me on some info on the 06 foes fly? I am looking for a bike to replace my preston as my trail/dh rig. I recently sold my race rig and888 because it just felt to big and long. It wasnt much fun on the trail, stunts, or dj's. Somone suggested the fly, however i often see it with a dc and heavily built up, how nimble is it exactly? Would it feel fine with a 36van or totem 2step? does it pedal/feel like a big bike or a smaller flickable rig? All help is apricated, i just dont want to get to big of a bike again because dj'ing my race rig was no fun at all, as i said before this would be my only fully so it would need to do those long xc rides, race dh, and be nimble enough for slopestyle...also how is foes with warrenty?

Thanx in advance guys!!!

mtbr member
    Click my sig or look at pics here.
    1 year review - 2005 FLY

Im loving it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIdeHardv2
    Can someone help me on some info on the 06 foes fly? I am looking for a bike to replace my preston as my trail/dh rig. I recently sold my race rig and888 because it just felt to big and long. It wasnt much fun on the trail, stunts, or dj's. Somone suggested the fly, however i often see it with a dc and heavily built up, how nimble is it exactly? Would it feel fine with a 36van or totem 2step? does it pedal/feel like a big bike or a smaller flickable rig? All help is apricated, i just dont want to get to big of a bike again because dj'ing my race rig was no fun at all, as i said before this would be my only fully so it would need to do those long xc rides, race dh, and be nimble enough for slopestyle...also how is foes with warrenty?

Thanx in advance guys!!!
    I have an 05/06 Fly, although my frame is built with Fox 40s it is still an extremly flickable bike. It pedals really well also, I have used mine for long XC/AM rides and havent had much probs with the extra weight. The Fly as you probably know is 2 ring compatible and is both Dual Crown and Single Crown ready. I have a Van 36 on my Enduro and think it would sit abit low on the Fly, Something like the 07 Zocchi 66 180mm or the Totem 2step would be the perfect single crowns for it I reckon. Kanter should be able to tell you how the 66 rides on his Fly. My Vote is for The Fly, its an Awesome Bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    And here is my baby, taking a rest before we start another trail...

alias chicken

Fly 04 with Totem 2 Step Air

New Pics from my Foes Fly...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast