Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19
    Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Azonic shorty stem would be perfect for that Weasel, aesthetically would be a great match for the swing arm. For brakes if it has disc mount bosses I vote shimano XT 755's all the way, they're retro and work flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

lets see your foes!!

Been looking for a shorty stem. I have one on a gt sts and it looks awesome. I'm thinking a semi mod resto which is in line with my other rides. Plus a couple of trick parts. Maybe some double barrel cranks. I'll see after that.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I think I might still have one Donny, I'll search the bin and if I still have it I'll post dimensions and pics.

Get in touch with Crazy8 here on the boards for cranks if you don't already have em', he's got a lot of the good older stuff. He's the man when it comes to ceramic coatings as well-
    STB performance coatings~Home

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

lets see your foes!!

Thanks Jon those shorty stems are very cool additions to any ride. I'll get in touch with Crazy8 too and see what he has.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Azonic Shorty Deluxe Stem 75mm at Balle Racing

The 75mm 10 degree rise is exactly what you want. It's actually a bit shorter than 75mm, closer to 70mm if I remember. Anyway, it's a good length, the perfect length for an all-purpose trail beast.

I bought all (maybe 4) of their black ano stock many years ago, even back then it was a rare treasure trove. Subsequently sold them over the years for peanuts, $20 or $30 a piece, can't think why. Dumb move, really regret it now, given how hard it's become to find a decent stem for older, 25.4 bars. I remember back in the day there was a generic, unbranded version of the shorty getting around also.

You also want really wide bars with about a 2" rise, I always had Azonic Double Walls, which (sort of) minimized vibration, though nothing like good carbon bars. The carbon Haven bars on my VP-Free have been a revelation, the difference is night and day, as was the VPP linkage design, having owned a Heckler, Bullit, and '06 Foes FXR; so much smoother (super plush), particularly small bump compliance, and better for climbing. Having said that, single pivot still takes the big hits really well, very stable at speed, perfect for barreling down gnarly old fire trails.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 03-04-2014 at 03:55 AM.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

lets see your foes!!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
    Azonic Shorty Deluxe Stem 75mm at Balle Racing

The 75mm 10 degree rise is exactly what you want. It's actually a bit shorter than 75mm, closer to 70mm if I remember. Anyway, it's a good length, the perfect length for an all-purpose trail beast.
    Perfect!!!
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by donny70 View Post
    Perfect!!!

Should match the polished swing arm nicely.

Personally, if you plan to ride this thing as a real trail bike, I'd go for a modern, high performance drive train. Can't beat X0 triggers imo, 9 or 10 speed, it's all good; relatively maintenance free, always positive shifting. Old XT, XTR, LX, whatever, were fine for their day, but have been long since been superseded in terms of feel and reliability.

Just about every Weasel I ever saw had triple chainrings. They were always a trail bike first and foremost, even when they had as much (or more) travel than some dedicated DH rigs. This is years before 'Freeride' was used to describe a mtb. XTR M952 cranks would be period, but my favourite cranks from that era (almost), were the M960's. Had 'em on my first Heckler, after which they got transferred to the FXR. Great cranks, light and strong (unbreakable), not hard to find second hand, and you can still buy aftermarket chainrings.

XTR cranks | eBay

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

lets see your foes!!

Stem ordered and shipped, thanks for the info. I know everyone will think I'm crazy but as I have 2 sets already with no problems (touch wood) I'm going to look for another set of caramba double barrels.

This is definitely being used as a trail bike so XO shifters are a must for me plus Hope tech X2 brakes and goodridge lines. I have a San Andreas too which has been dialled in nicely with some modern components and feels better than my modern ride although it sounds like a filing cabinet being chucked down a stairs ha ha.

Mainframe is getting decorated in a deep metallic candy red currently. I'll post pics when I get it back.
    I've got a bunch of foes decals too but don't have a full set of originals, it will still look awesome though.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Stem ordered and shipped, thanks for the info.
    Son of a... You nabbed the last new 70mm Shorty in existence!!

I know everyone will think I'm crazy but as I have 2 sets already with no problems (touch wood) I'm going to look for another set of caramba double barrels.
    No offence, but they don't even look that good, imo. It's not easy to make CNC machined, ano mtb parts look as average as that, each to their own I guess. Check out old Paul rear derailleurs, they're a highly collectible work of art; Paul's Components Rear Derailleur - Weight Weenies

I've no idea about the DB's performance, never heard of them tbh. That doesn't happen too often, so I'm going to assume they're extremely rare or nothing special, likely both. That's three good reasons (don't forget pug fugly) to get different cranks. Cranks are a huge statement on a mtb, only the forks and frame itself are of greater import. Their prominent, central location, inherent chunkiness, and relationship to the rest of the drive train all command attention, immediately drawing the eye, complimenting (or detracting from) the overall aesthetic.

Both the Shimano and Sram cranksets use a similar hollow tube design (Hollowtech refers to the cranks themselves) supported by bearing cups. It's a lightweight, simple, elegant, and entirely proven design, completely superseding the traditional sealed BB in every way. I'd go a Shimano Saint M810 dual chainring crankset(note 170mm length), or red XO cranks, if you can afford it. I have the Saint M810's on my VP-Free, awesome cranks, they look tough as hell, imagine how cool the fat black arms would look set against the metallic candy red of the front triangle. You'll also require a Saint M810 front derailleur to match it, not sure about swing or pull type, can't do everything for ya.

This is definitely being used as a trail bike so XO shifters are a must for me plus Hope tech X2 brakes and goodridge lines.
    My only experience with Hope brakes is with the early gen, late 90's model. Never again. Not super impressed with the power of the XT M785's on my VP-Free, even with 8" rotors. No doubt they need to be bled, but the M775's on my Bullit always felt much stronger, ie. an inopportune handful of lever could catapult you over the bars. My former mechanic reckons the SLX's are easily the best value brakes on the market; same calipers as XT with less adjustable levers, not much different.

My mate has Saint M820's on his VP-Free; amazing power (full-on boat anchors), can lock-up the rear wheel instantly, true one finger braking (no BS), makes my XT's look very average. They also have a premium look and feel about them which the XT's and SLX's do not.

I'd go the Saints because I know they're totally bullet proof, not ridiculously expensive (plenty of sales), and not so boutique I'd have trouble sourcing parts. In 20 odd years designing hydro brake systems for mtb, Shimano haven't made a lemon yet, or even a system requiring anything more than a bare minimum of maintenance. Who else could make such a claim? I wouldn't feel as confident about any other brands, particularly Hope, which traditionally have always been high maintenance. The Hope's do look great though, I'll give 'em that.

I have a San Andreas too which has been dialled in nicely with some modern components and feels better than my modern ride although it sounds like a filing cabinet being chucked down a stairs ha ha.
    There's no denying the San Andreas' place in mtb folk law as one of the all-time great designs. However, I never liked massively over sized aluminium monocoque tubes. With the significant internal cavities acting as echo chamber, the constant, hollow knocking sound can be more than a little distracting, and bloody infuriating at times.

Mainframe is getting decorated in a deep metallic candy red currently. I'll post pics when I get it back.
    Sounds delightful, can't wait.

I've got a bunch of foes decals too but don't have a full set of originals, it will still look awesome though.
    Tried to find some on the Foes site (not much on Ebay), seems to be experiencing technical difficulties, unfortunately; Foes Racing USA - Handmade Full Suspension Bicycle Frames
    Last edited by m0ngy; 03-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I'm glad you could locate a shorty stem Donny, mine is still around but I lent it to a friend. I didn't want to get it back because he uses that bike to take his daughter for park rides.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

An interesting read...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

lets see your foes!!

Fantastic, where did you dig this up from??

The only thing letting the bike down IMO was the forks with their 1" of travel. I still have them with working bumpers but they never compressed more than that which is why I'm putting shivers on.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Fantastic, where did you dig this up from??
    A site I'm sure you're familiar with... Retrobike | Retro, Vintage and Classic Mountain, Road and BMX bikes

The only thing letting the bike down IMO was the forks with their 1" of travel. I still have them with working bumpers but they never compressed more than that which is why I'm putting shivers on.
    I'd forget the retro build, it'd be much more interesting to see how such a classic frame performs given the benefit of modern components.

alias chicken
    New color for my SSV and new lyric air Fork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lets see your foes!!-image.jpg  

lets see your foes!!-image.jpg  

lets see your foes!!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

lets see your foes!!

New frame color for the weasel, more pics to follow when I get the frame back together. It's a large flake base coat with a red candy over the top. Lights up like crazy in the sun.

My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

F275's and FXR275

Here are a few more builds done lately:

Candy Purple F275
    lets see your foes!!-foesf275-purple.jpg

"Freeride Pink" F275
    lets see your foes!!-foesf275-pink.jpg

Metalic Blue FXR275
    lets see your foes!!-foesfxr275-blue.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

FOES XCT 5 and CURNUTT XTD SHOCK

lets see your foes!!-p1070024.jpg

Foes XCT5 with Curnutt air shock - Pinkbike

Hi, this is my Foes XCT, its advertised for sale on pinkbike and singletrack but in my experience of owning this awesome bike not that many people in the UK know about Foes. So I wondered whether it would get the attention it deserves if I advertized it on here....
    Cheers. Steve.

alias chicken
    Foes signature Series!

THX Brent Foes!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lets see your foes!!-17.jpg  

lets see your foes!!-11.jpg  

lets see your foes!!-18.jpg  

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19